turbo question??

Is it worth swapping to a CCC carb without a verified harness or ECM? I thought you said that your ECM was rusty or something?

Personally a non CCC carb sounds like a better option for you if your up to it. At least it will run if your ECM or harness is toast. Gotta remember, what caused the person to swap carbs in the first place?

Is it worth swapping to a CCC carb without a verified harness or ECM? I thought you said that your ECM was rusty or something?

Personally a non CCC carb sounds like a better option for you if your up to it. At least it will run if your ECM or harness is toast. Gotta remember, what caused the person to swap carbs in the first place?

ive been wondering that as well. theres a turbo monte carlo out here that uses a CCC carb, and I was wondering if it would work on my 83.

First thing to check is the check engine light. It should come on and then go off at start up. If it doesn't, then there is a problem.

I love my computer controlled carb. No way is it coming off. The computer controls the primaries and the big secondares are the same as all other Q-jets.

First thing to check is the check engine light. It should come on and then go off at start up. If it doesn't, then there is a problem.

I love my computer controlled carb. No way is it coming off. The computer controls the primaries and the big secondares are the same as all other Q-jets.

im impressed rich, I could ne ver get the performance out of it...

whats your secret?

A.j.

I had fits with one on my GN, then I found a low mileage, unmolested carb and things have been great. The secret is don't mess with it. Once someone pulls the plugs and tries to adjust the screws, its over. ;) Let the computer control the front half.

One the back half, make sure the secondaries are opening. You would be surprised how many don't (boost is limited to about 6 psi when this happens). You can try different rods and hangers to mess with WOT A/F ratio. And there is a little tab that limits how much the air valves (upper butterflies) open - bent it out of the way.

I think many problems, like vacuum leaks, bad sensors, etc., cause probelms that are blamed on the carb. I bet a lot of carbs where rebuilt when all the car needed was a new oxygen sensor. These new fangled carbs confused the average mechanic. By the time they started figuring them out, TBI was the new hot way to go.

Get a decent spare electronic carb. One you have an issue, swap carbs - if the problem is still there, it's something else.

I had fits with one on my GN, then I found a low mileage, unmolested carb and things have been great. The secret is don't mess with it. Once someone pulls the plugs and tries to adjust the screws, its over. ;) Let the computer control the front half.

One the back half, make sure the secondaries are opening. You would be surprised how many don't (boost is limited to about 6 psi when this happens). You can try different rods and hangers to mess with WOT A/F ratio. And there is a little tab that limits how much the air valves (upper butterflies) open - bent it out of the way.

I think many problems, like vacuum leaks, bad sensors, etc., cause problems that are blamed on the carb. I bet a lot of carbs where rebuilt when all the car needed was a new oxygen sensor. These new fangled carbs confused the average mechanic. By the time they started figuring them out, TBI was the new hot way to go.

Get a decent spare electronic carb. One you have an issue, swap carbs - if the problem is still there, it's something else.

Been trying to tell Aj this for a while Rich. If the system is working right it will work great but if it's not then you're screwed. Q-jets so have some issues but if done right they will work very nicely and make the car perform.:biggrin: