turbo question??

Umm Yeah I'd call it a little spirited short lived acceleration. These drawthru engines don't launch like the '84-7 cars will off the foot or e brake.

I drove a stock 85 last summer and I almost laughed when I floored it but I didn't want to upset the guy

Umm Yeah I'd call it a little spirited short lived acceleration. These drawthru engines don't launch like the '84-7 cars will off the foot or e brake.

With the stock turbo, I was able to pull 1.8 sec 60'. Build about 6-7 psi and they will launch well and pull hard. Enough that I needed to buy some big drag radials to hold traction.

Of course you need to get the engine running right for that.

With the stock turbo, I was able to pull 1.8 sec 60'. Build about 6-7 psi and they will launch well and pull hard. Enough that I needed to buy some big drag radials to hold traction.

Of course you need to get the engine running right for that.

That's great! I respect that Rich, Most peoples drawthru's are a far cry from the shape and tune yours is in, to be able to repeat that performance :biggrin:

my 79 didn't spool too bad for being bone stock with the original cat still in place, but then I had a buddy spend an afternoon making carb adjustments

Yeah, mine spools pretty good too once I got my DP on. Now that I took the car apart I realized somehow the exhaust flapper was installed wrong so I had a pretty major exhaust leak right off the bottom of the drivers side manifold. :rolleyes: Should spool up like crazy when I get it put back together with out a 1/8" gap.

Hopefully Ill be in the mid 14's by August. I dont see 13.70's far off with a good tune. Granted Rich has a 14.20 on a stock block and everyone says ported heads make a big difference on GN's.

I see low 13's possible with a holley on E85, stock GN compressor and 86/87 headers. Be easy on with a weiand intake too! Then you can scrap the turbo foot, intake, and then do crazy stuff.

Or convert to SFI! :eek:

Yeah, mine spools pretty good too once I got my DP on. Now that I took the car apart I realized somehow the exhaust flapper was installed wrong so I had a pretty major exhaust leak right off the bottom of the drivers side manifold. :rolleyes: Should spool up like crazy when I get it put back together with out a 1/8" gap.

Hopefully Ill be in the mid 14's by August. I dont see 13.70's far off with a good tune. Granted Rich has a 14.20 on a stock block and everyone says ported heads make a big difference on GN's.

I see low 13's possible with a holley on E85, stock GN compressor and 86/87 headers. Be easy on with a weiand intake too! Then you can scrap the turbo foot, intake, and then do crazy stuff.

Or convert to SFI! :eek:

can I see some pics of your car??? sounds cool.

my car for the shape its in builds up boost rather nicley, and launches pretty good, although it seems to lag a bit the faster you go. Just listen to the engine... itll tell you what its doing. I Like short bursts of speed, not really top speed. I like to accelerate at 60mph and get to 80 quickly.

can I see some pics of your car??? sounds cool.

I know I keep a low profile sorta around here but I didnt know I kept THAT low of a profile.

Ive got the green Cutlass with the GTA's ya know? Got the whole 12 page 'Got a carb turbo torn apart' thread? Better stop smoking that K2 stuff! :eek: :biggrin:

Most peoples drawthru's are a far cry from the shape and tune yours is in, to be able to repeat that performance :biggrin:

That's my point - there's nothing special about my car. No special tune or magic parts. I just made sure it was running right before I started messing with it. No vacuum leaks, no cracked exhaust, good plugs and wires, no check engine lights, no aftermarket carb, etc.

If it's running right, it will peform - Any carb/turbo.

That's my point - there's nothing special about my car. No special tune or magic parts. I just made sure it was running right before I started messing with it. No vacuum leaks, no cracked exhaust, good plugs and wires, no check engine lights, no aftermarket carb, etc.

If it's running right, it will peform - Any carb/turbo.

If you notice, people like Rich are the same ones running good times off minimal parts. Then you get the ones saying they need more "parts" because their car won't run any faster than a high 11 with a ta49:rolleyes:

That's right. That's the way I like to operate, keeping things simple and working smarter not harder which goes for most of everything. The combo I put together for the blowthru project is very hard to beat for the money involved and the performance delivered for a 100% stock engine. I have $2700. in that whole entire project including the car.

I think Rich has proved his point very well. If you decide to modify the design you'd better make sure what you're doing and not just throwing parts at it. This is one of the problems people have. Just a cam change can screw everything up if you don't know what you're doing!

I think Rich has proved his point very well. If you decide to modify the design you'd better make sure what you're doing and not just throwing parts at it. This is one of the problems people have. Just a cam change can screw everything up if you don't know what you're doing!

you guys have a recipie for success. I want to do what Rich is doing. Yea blowthrough is cool, but If i want to throw that much money into it id go 86/87 (but the value of the car is more with the stock motor in it). Id like my car to go as fast as possible, with stock setup (and look like an IC car). Ive got some good ideas to make the stock motor perform a bit better IE a bigger turbo, a valve job, port the heads, hog out the intake, and do earlbrown mods on the timing cover. Also some other misellanious bolt on that will fit. Im more for looks and short bursts of speed. Hell give me an 86/87 car with t-tops, take out the motor, drop in mine, and call it good. ;)

Ive got some good ideas to make the stock motor perform a bit better IE a bigger turbo,

There's your first problem. You don't need a bigger turbo. You need to get you car running well in stock form.

Here's your recipe:
  1. Get it running right
  2. Check for knocking with a gauge
  3. Figure out how to get rid of knock
  4. more boost
  5. Repeat steps 2-4

How much knock are you seeing now and how much boost do you have? If you can't answer this, then no amount of parts will help you.

There's your first problem. You don't need a bigger turbo. You need to get you car running well in stock form.

Here's your recipe:
  1. Get it running right
  2. Check for knocking with a gauge
  3. Figure out how to get rid of knock
  4. more boost
  5. Repeat steps 2-4

How much knock are you seeing now and how much boost do you have? If you can't answer this, then no amount of parts will help you.

the engine is just about running right, If i can find an MSD, ill check for knock. Right now i believe there is a bit of knocking going on in the engine that is clearly audible at idle.