Turbo question (a little different)

Ben98gs

I was wondering if you guys might be able to help me with a little bit of input for what turbo I should possibly run, but there are some "surprises" :cool: ...

Main surprise being this is going on a newer Buick Regal that currently has the 3.8L s/c (L67) motor in it. So this will be going on a FWD car. Also looking for enough power to get me into the 12's... Not looking for tranny shattering power, or 9-10 sec 1/4 miles... Just a nice streetable setup.

Someone pointed me to you guys for possibly some help since we have similar motors. So what do you think would be a good turbo for a streetable 12 second Buick Regal???

Thanks in advance for your help

Ben

lwrdregal2.jpg

Ben98gs said:
I was wondering if you guys might be able to help me with a little bit of input for what turbo I should possibly run, but there are some "surprises" :cool: ...

Main surprise being this is going on a newer Buick Regal that currently has the 3.8L s/c (L67) motor in it. So this will be going on a FWD car. Also looking for enough power to get me into the 12's... Not looking for tranny shattering power, or 9-10 sec 1/4 miles... Just a nice streetable setup.

Someone pointed me to you guys for possibly some help since we have similar motors. So what do you think would be a good turbo for a streetable 12 second Buick Regal???

Thanks in advance for your help

Ben

lwrdregal2.jpg
The stock TR turbo (TBO348) would get it done cheaply. Or opt for a more expensive bb turbo for absolutely no lag when you punch it.

Gonna be using that turbo conversion kit I saw for the S/C 3800? I'm surprised they didn't make an intake manifold and eliminate the hollow S/C body.

Pronto said:
Gonna be using that turbo conversion kit I saw for the S/C 3800? I'm surprised they didn't make an intake manifold and eliminate the hollow S/C body.

I wont be using the kit... I will be making my own kit... I havent decided exactly how I am doing the intake, but I KNOW that it wont be using the s/c housing... I have three options right now:

1. Use a L36 (N/A 3800) intake, but I dont want the TB on the driverside really.
2. Fabricate my own, dont really mind this except I want the setup to "look stock".
3. Use the 3800 V6 Camaro intake manifold, takes a little more wore to do this, but retain "stock look" and get the TB on the passanger side.

Is there any turbo similar to your stock size then that would be a good one to consider (I just hate to spend money on a turbo that old, I guess I just want peace of mind that I dont have to worry about it). What brands would you recommend??? Garrett??? HKS??? Turbonetics??? Precision??? Greddy???

We have 2 customers that have turbo GTP's. Depending on your goals 61mm to 67mm will work and spool very fast.

That is the type of info I was looking for... I know some of the guys looking for ape raping power have T72's I believe... I think that a T67 probably sounds about like I am wanting... When you say your customers, what type of work do you do??? Custom setups or just installs???

Is there any brand of turbo I should probably stay away from or lean towards that is reasonably priced???

Ben98gs said:
That is the type of info I was looking for... I know some of the guys looking for ape raping power have T72's I believe... I think that a T67 probably sounds about like I am wanting... When you say your customers, what type of work do you do??? Custom setups or just installs???

Is there any brand of turbo I should probably stay away from or lean towards that is reasonably priced???
A T67 will support over 600hp. Your going to want something a lot smaller than that.

I will start looking for one then... I have a few friends who say they should be able to get me some pretty good prices on turbos... Now let just hope my fabricator is up to the task. :biggrin: