Turbo Monte Carlo...

Wahoo

I know they exist and they're not fuel injected or fast compared to GNs and T-Types, but can you swap things over to make it perform like the later bruicks? Can you make them fast? I know they don't have 8.5 rearends either but I think they can be had cheap and I like the way they look, but I'd need more power for sure!

I know that in 1980 you could get the Monte with a Buick 3.8 turbo in it, the same one that was in the Regal Sport Coupe. A 3.8 with a Rochester 4 Barrel, 350 tranny and open rear. Hot Rod magazine had a article on it, they opened up the exhaust, air filter, modified the carb with bigger jets and something to the linkage.... to make the butterfly valve go more vertical at WOT, added a shift kit to the tranny, water injection, up the boost by cutting the rod in half, lob off a 1/2" and threading the rod on both sides with a 1/4"-20 die nut and add a coupler nut to allow for more boost. Added a "dial a boost" bleeder valve to the interior, right above your knees, to control boost from the drivers' seat, added a boost gauge, dual exhast from the cat back.... think that's about it, I did all of these things when I was a senior in high school to my 79 sport coupe. I was able to beat my friends V-8 350 firebird every time we raced, not saying much but back in the day it was a lot of fun.
So back to your question, you could drop a 87 Intercooled motor in there and it will bolt right up to the 350 tranny, motor mounts wouldn't be a problem either.... good luck.

Chuck

I don't own one, but I like them, and I feel like they can be had cheap, but I guess I'd be better off with a T-type, to at least get the 8.5

There's more you can do if you're willing to do the research on how to make it work. With a modified turbo from a 301 TTA or even a stock modified turbo you can make them just as fast as a stock GN. They're Hot Air cars (HA) but will respond in kind to the same mods as any turbo car if you know what you're doing.;) They require more knowledge since it's all about tuning and it's old school tuning, not puter based tweeking though.:D

Check out this build from the orig T R site

Carbed Turbo Regal Recipe
I currently have one of the few stickys over at GN/ttype.org in the B4black section about a modified turbo for the B4black cars. The original is also in my sig if you're willing spend the time reading all of it. It's long and has some BS in it but it's good info and if you're willing to do the work you can create a TE-62-DT turbo and have some fun with some good tuning.;)