Turbo Link 4.1 help

Vin71

I bought a 1987 GN and the owner gave me the Turbo Link Program which I downloaded to my laptop. The cable he also gave me goes into the cigarette lighter, then another to the larger computer port leading to the ECM and then the third to the computer. I bought a DB9 to USB converter so the cable can go into my laptop as a USB connection because my laptop was too new to have the cable fit in. As I tried to use the Turbo Link 4.1 system, it kept stating that no connection was being made. I triple checked and it looks like all the coonections were being made. But the computer software keeps stating cannot read due to no connection. Would anybody know why or be familiar with this?

Thanks!

Hi Vince - Nice to meet you at Castie.
Here is what you need to do:
Right click on My Computer (on your desktop) Click Properties, Click Hardware, Click Device Manager, Click on Ports (com & LPT) look for the USB to Serial Comm Port - it will have a Comm #. You need to go into your software program and tell your software the Comm # to search for your connection. If this does not resolve your issue let me know and I will see if I can figure out what else it could be.
Good Luck!

I'm not familiar with TLink 4.1 but I did use version 2.3 extensively. The 2.3 version uses the laptop's printer (parallel) port not the serial port. Are you sure 4.1 supports a serial port?

Dennis

It works with a serial cable - some of the newer laptops do not have the serial port so you need to use a USB adapter cable. With the adapter cable the computer will not be able to find the connection on its own you need to figure out which com port it is using and tell the software where to look.

Thanks for the help. I should be able to try this sometime this week. I appreciate the direction and will let you know.

I have this same problem... would the light still illuminate on the adapter to the obd1 port even if it is not "connected" data wise but still plugged into my computer. Im thinking that either im not getting power to my obd1 port or something is disconnected..otherwise it is my usb adapter that isnt working correctly. If i am using windows xp will that have an issue with it also?

Lisa - when I get to the point of looking for the the Comm#, I do not see any. What is happening is its hard to go any further without using the Hardware Update Wizard. The Wizard is of no help as I have no disk. I tried to install manually without a disk, but to no avail. This really needs a disk to help find the new USB cord. It does state " the driver for this devise is not installed." I cant figure out what com port it is using to then tell the software where to look. Basically, I cant get past the USB to Serial Port. My computer cannot recognize the new usb adapter/cord so I cannot get to the Com port section.

Has anybody figured this out yet. I'm still trying to get this to work. I purchased an adapter that connects to my TurboLink parallel port male end to female end with an USB connection to the laptop. I still can't get this to work. I have an IBM thinkpad T500 which I'm not sure with COM the USB is on. I've tried all the COM Ports and still nothing. Can anyone help here. Thanks!