Turbo in-line filter/filter options

Rustyregal

I have read everything the search function can pull up about this. I've seen a few for sale from forced performance but thats really it. I understand that many vendors out there sale saver kits. I've read threads with concern about dp but its about flow. The in lines I've seen have an element with a pretty small surface area. Most are -6 then reduced to a -4 during install. And what research I've done shows 10 micron to be the average. Now I am a electric/hydraulic mechanic by trade and have many filter combinations available to me. Why are in lines not used. If its from fear of them stopping up then so can your main pump filter. Just change it out during normal oil changes. Will there be a restriction in flow, yes. But how many people have used flow restrictors or spent the time getting the drain absolutely perfect to remove oil before it starts pooling? So I may be missing something so don't bash me to hard. But I had to ask.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

There's a couple different trains of thought here....

1 is that you're better off with oil going to your turbo that has miniscule debris in it rather than clogging a filter and smoking it.

2 is that if your oil has enough crud in it to hurt a turbo, you've already lost your engine and it's your fault if you keep running it.

Yep, it seems like you can't win for losing. I'm going to put a flow meter on my feed side before and after to be absolutely sure there's no restrictions. And maybe even a gauge after to monitor dp. I should get at least 3-4 gpm out of that -4 line. Then as my dp begins to rise I'll check the flow and just see if the myths are true.

For the test to be 'real world', you'll need to throw some debris in the crankcase...... then monitor the post-filter flow until the engine dies. :)

For the test to be 'real world', you'll need to throw some debris in the crankcase...... then monitor the post-filter flow until the engine dies. :)

Smart ass!

I'd be willing to supply all needed parts for you to perform this test if you report the finding on the board. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Earl, I am committed to the cause but that ain't happening! I have a 0-8gpm Parker flow meter that I use for pump case drain checks. Its made to be very accurate without inducing any dp. Coupled with a slew of gauges and fittings I should be set.
20140117_174803.jpg

20140117_174825.jpg

As long as you have no debris you'll be fine.....

....but if you have no debris, do you really need to rube goldberg the feed line? :D

I wish I had access to bins full of that stuff! It's untelling what kind of goofy stuff I could build (on top of the goofy stuff I already build! )

Well I think it's worth it. It's bad enough to lose an engine without compounding the issue with a smoked turbo. Plus I already have this stuff laying around. I get this stuff out of the dumpster of my highly wasteful company.

How much oil do you need flowing into your turbo after your motor lets go?

I'd bet by the time the inline filter plugs up in the feed line you'll be walking anyway. :eek:

I use one to keep my $$ DBB turbo in clean synthetic oil.

It made it to 50K so far.

My PTE51 with about 100K on it, nah why bother they were expendable when built. :p

You don't need that much oil in a DBB turbo with a restrictor.

I used a Magnefine billet -6an filter with replaceable element with magnet used for transmissions mostly.