Turbo for 85 t-type

WH1 4ME

father and son
Any suggestion on what size turbo would be a good upgrade with stock convertor and 36 lb injectors?

Any suggestion on what size turbo would be a good upgrade with stock convertor and 36 lb injectors?

There is only one "off the shelf" upgrade available for the HA cars, TA33.
With the stock converter, I would not go any bigger than the TA33.

What boost/rpm do you plan to run and what is the rest of the combo?

I don't want anything crazy just for the street. I have put on/in 91 chip, which i will up grade, adj. Fuel pump, pulley kit, bigger maf, new dual exhaust with cat removed, (want headers), 87 coil conversion,adj. Wastegate. I just try to add something every month or two so i can still enjoy driving. Still fun blowing off those 4 bangers.

I don't want anything crazy just for the street. I have put on/in 91 chip, which i will up grade, adj. Fuel pump, pulley kit, bigger maf, new dual exhaust with cat removed, (want headers), 87 coil conversion,adj. Wastegate. I just try to add something every month or two so i can still enjoy driving. Still fun blowing off those 4 bangers.
Personally, I would spend the money on a good recording type scantool/WB, and upgrade the fuel pump with hotwire.
Than, I would add the alky injection / TT chip and skip the TA33 for now. :cool:

If you are running stock converter/boost/rpm levels, the TA33 will slow you down, especially on the street.

Forgot who would you recommend getting the ta33 from?
You can get one from one of te vendors on this board.
Contact BigWood Racing.

I got the hot wire kit , but haven't installed it was waiting to change out pump, should i wait?
Is the alky injection a complicated job, i have worked on cars since i was 15.

I got the hot wire kit , but haven't installed it was waiting to change out pump, should i wait?
Is the alky injection a complicated job, i have worked on cars since i was 15.

Install the HW kit, and upgrade the pump.

Alky injection kit; Pretty easy install.
Alky will be worth about 30-50 hp

Another option may be switching to E-85.

Are you monitoring for knock?

Not really, notice when its really hot and i don't add my octane booster mix, toulene-mineral spirts and trans fluid.

Not really, notice when its really hot and i don't add my octane booster mix, toulene-mineral spirts and trans fluid.

Clarification;
You are saying you have audible KR in hot wether if you don't add the toulene?

How much boost are running?

Yes, the gas down here sucks , always use 93 octane-chevron, they buy from independent guys. No amoco or sunoco here. It just happens just for a second and goes away,

boost right at 15,

Yes, the gas down here sucks , always use 93 octane-chevron, they buy from independent guys. No amoco or sunoco here. It just happens just for a second and goes away,

boost right at 15,

Is that "15" on an aftermarket gage?

Factory gage is notorious for being off.
I would not put any trust in it, other than during the X-mas light parade.
Sounds like you are ready for a knock gage and scantool first, or you may/will end up like I did when I first got the car.

TR rules of engagement;
Nothing beats KR free operation under any and all conditions.
Nothing beats a good scantool to monitor vitals.

Just trying to give some advice I learned the expensive way.

No, i thank you were much, you have been very helpful, i have my list to start with.
With the scan tool i need to do a ecm swap, correct?

to start off what you would want to do for the scan tool is probably just swap over to a PN#1227148 (86-87 turbo engine ECM) $20 or less, which is readily available in almost any you pull it yard that has late 80's 3.8v6 cars. you can then most of the time swap your cal pack over in the ecm depending on your cal pack number, and have Eric marshal burn a chip for it, you also have to wire in a IAT sensor for the ECM or you will have a check engine light. This will make many chips available, and more scan tools, then add a scanmaster, or powerlogger or both.;)

84/85 ECM Conversion to 86/87 ECM

gnttype.org was my bible when i first got my car a ton of information on how to do things on that site!

Definately get a real boost gauge in there, unless you sent it in to caspers to get it recalibrated its off, probably way off.

Good luck and have fun!

Most are fine, i just have autometer pro-comp ultralite gauges in my car. My boost is a 30"Hg-30PSI gauge. DiPricol makes some really nice guages also, thats what my brother runs in his truck.