Turbo Buick into a 71 Trans Am

I went through the same thing with my 79 T/A 403. Ran mid 13s and beat many Pontiac powered T/As but when I had a chance to drive my friends GN I said this is too much fun, I have to have one. Put my T/A up for sell and searched for a TB. Cool hybrids though.

I would love to own that car! Good thing it's hallway across the country or I'd be tempted.

I have 3 1978 Trans Am's and 2 of them have Butler performance stroker motors and they would both eat the a$$ off my Grand National at this point. Once I get the GN tweaked and running right it might be a different story but the 474 Stroker motor is no joke!

I don't know how much you need to move the AC compressor to fit but I remachined the main accessory bracket and welded up my own braces to put a Honda Civic Sanden compressor in roughly the same spot as the original R4 but much tighter into the accessory drive. On my Riviera the ear for the compressor hit the upper A-arm cross shaft.
IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

The extra bracing is only there in the last picture, the rest I was still mocking things up and measuring for the bracing. I cut the offending bits of the main accessory brackets out though I could have left all 3 of the head attachment points if I milled one of them down.
I have a strap bracket on the front that goes up to the alternator like the original 'Y' bracket and I welded another branch onto the "tree" bracket to hold the back of the compressor up (barely visible behind the wiring job I was doing). The long stud in the middle of a stock accessory bracket is removed and the boss milled down and spot faced down so the boss on the compressor fits in. I've not done any AC plumbing yet but it does take a different pad mounted plumbing off of the side of the compressor.

Did you get the air working? I have been looking into putting a sanden compressor on my car.