Turbo Buick into a 71 Trans Am

Wow that's a beauty. Is it a real Trans Am? The purists would cry... but that's their problem.

One thing for sure it'll run a lot faster with the turbo Buick than it ever would with a comparably streetable Pontiac motor.

Agree its a real beauty and the GN engine is sweet in there.

However, your second statement is pure sillyness. You have obviously never seen what a Pontiac engine is capable of.

It's nice to see that a base Firebird was so nicely redone into such a jewel.

tford, no one will be fooled by the exhaust sound unless they are "car illiterate" or just plain deaf.

awesome

My first car was a1973 firebird loved that car. Which frame pads did you use for the turbo motor. Im reading my 74 Apollo now and a transplant of a turbo 3.8 and 200 4r trans. Love to hear about it.

A real 71 T/A and you arent going to put an original 455HO in it?

Maybe its just me but thats one car I would ONLY put back completely original.
Only a 72 is rarer.

I would have to have a gun to my head.

Sorry but but never.

Being a T/A buff if I saw it I would probably get pissed.

Dont mind me though not everyone shares my disease.

Do what you want.

1971%20Trans%20Am-eng-455ho-lg.jpg

Mario, Here is a quote direct from the owner from one of the above posts:

"Here's the deal, not a real T/A just make a base Firebired to look the part, I figure no harm done"

It is a base Firebird made to look like a T/A.

I personally think it's cool:cool: I want to be first in line whenever this car is sold.:biggrin:

A real 71 T/A and you arent going to put an original 455HO in it?

Maybe its just me but thats one car I would ONLY put back completely original.
Only a 72 is rarer.

I would have to have a gun to my head.

Sorry but but never.

Being a T/A buff if I saw it I would probably get pissed.

Dont mind me though not everyone shares my disease.

Do what you want.

1971%20Trans%20Am-eng-455ho-lg.jpg

mario65 actually the 74 t/a superduty was more rare than th 72 high output.had a 71 455 h/o model and loved it the car had sick topend speed.

mario65 actually the 74 t/a superduty was more rare than th 72 high output.had a 71 455 h/o model and loved it the car had sick topend speed.

71 Trans Am,
How were you able to get the A/C pulley to clear the upper control arm on the driver's side. I am installing a '87 TR engine and transmission in a 1981 Trans Am (Daytona 500 Pace Car). I would like to keep the A/C but the compressor and control arm want to occupy the same space. I tried a bypass pulley, but had the same problem.

John Irby

71 Trans Am,
How were you able to get the A/C pulley to clear the upper control arm on the driver's side. I am installing a '87 TR engine and transmission in a 1981 Trans Am (Daytona 500 Pace Car). I would like to keep the A/C but the compressor and control arm want to occupy the same space. I tried a bypass pulley, but had the same problem.

John Irby

Keep us updated on your Pace Car.I have been wanting to do something similar.

71 Trans Am,

John Irby

Post pics John. I'm a Buick lover and a T/A lover.

This picture was taken on the day I purchased the car five years ago. It has been a great father/son project.
1123_1074592703813_904_n.jpg

This picture was taken a little less than two years ago when my son lowered the engine into the frame. The engine was built by Automotive Machine and Performance in Owensboro, KY.

l
390102_3047458904235_747810330_n.jpg

71 Trans Am,

John Irby

I do not see how you are going to do the conversion and keep the factory AC box as the downpipe will not fit,and you will need to fab new brackets to mount the AC compressor?

We did a complete GN conversion on a 1981 turbo Trans Am and installed a Vintage Air kit with a new compressor and built brackets to make it work.

Here are a couple pics:

TTA conversion 4.jpg
TTA conversion 5.jpg

Nice Hybrid!

Before my GN I had a 78 trans am. Spent big money on a 455 H.O. motor. It never impressed me. I mean it ran decent but no where near what I expected.

It was not long after I started looking for something else that had the kind of power I wanted. I ended up buying my GN before I even sold the T/A. I remember people coming to look at the T/A and asking why I was selling it and not the GN. LOL!