Turbo blanket, ANYBODY HAVE THOUGHTS-PROS & CONS

No issues. I even had the crossover wrapped on my old ATR headers.

I had both headers, X-over, exhaust turbine housing and DP wrapped on my old set of ATR's and it was the drivers side that was all kinds of cracked after 40k street miles and maybe a dozen passes at low 12's, 113mph.

I did find out the hard way not to wrap the headers. When changing things up I found (5) cracks in the passenger side header because of the headers expanding more due to the increased heat being held in.
My diy mild steel down pipe was fine, but hadn't been on as long. I decided to ceramic coat the new DP as well as the headers.View attachment 267976

Thank you for answering these guys ... exactly because of what he said ...

seen It too many times .. DON'T Wrap exhaust parts on turbo applications especially .. it cooks parts ... just coat call it good... if its stainless I wouldn't even coat it

RACE CARS are 1 thing .. street cars are another ... sorry if you call putting on 1000 miles a year on a car .. that's not a street car .. Im talking about driving the car .. the wraps kill parts

Thank you for answering these guys ... exactly because of what he said ...

seen It too many times .. DON'T Wrap exhaust parts on turbo applications especially .. it cooks parts ... just coat call it good... if its stainless I wouldn't even coat it

RACE CARS are 1 thing .. street cars are another ... sorry if you call putting on 1000 miles a year on a car .. that's not a street car .. Im talking about driving the car .. the wraps kill parts

It won't kill stainless D/P or headers.

It will ruin mild steel in short order on cars that aren't driven much by holding moisture. If driven daily there should be no problems with a wrap.

As far as coking the bearings in the center section goes, that is only a problem if you run it hard and don't let it idle for a few minutes afterwards to pull the heat out of the bearings.

I've run blankets on all my turbo vehicles including my diesels and have yet to lose a center section due to oil coking or heat soak issues.

Even without a blanket common sense says to idle for a few minutes to cool the bearings after any boosted events.

I drive my car almost every day and I'm just saying different driving styles and precautions determine the outcome of any and all parts on a vehicle so a BLANKET statement like yours doesn't hold water in every case.

PUN INTENDED!!!

RZ.

To the OP , do you want to get rid of the turbo shield and wrap the pipes for looks or function ? I opted to coat my pipes with one of the best ceramic coatings available , SwainTech White Lighting . It only comes in one color and is very thick as far as coatings go , and will not flake off . I didn't coat the turbo housing cause I didn't want to disassemble it . I don't see the heat lose from the heavy & small turbo housing surface area to be much of a concern , but I'm sure a blanket wouldn't hurt and doesn't look bad either . Sam
DSCN0200.JPG DSCN0202.JPG DSCN0203.JPG DSCN0344.JPG
http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/race-coating-descriptions/white-lightning-exhaust-coatings/

Last edited:
I had mine ceramic coated but most of it is now missing in action.
I wrapped my SS DP, always wanted to put a cover on the turbo but the rumors about cooking the turbo scared me just enough not to.

Where are you guys getting the blankets from? I know Full Throttle has them, 1 poster here said Weber and I see them on Ebay too. Big difference in pricing. For a stock thru a 49 size turbo is it just the T3 sizing that fits?
I have one of Spoolfools really cool turbo shields so I don't want to get rid of that but can I run both? Shield might just be cosmetic with a blanket under it but that's ok.

I think if you run both, you car will blow up.
I get mine from Weber. It is the DEI brand. The T3 fits the Garrett .63 housing, even the Precision .63. For the .85 and bigger housings, I use the T4.

Does anyone know who makes a good turbo blanket for a Precision 6266?
I bought one from Full Throttle speed and I ordered it specifically for the gen2 6266. I dont know that the one they sent will fit and they haven't returned my email I sent a week ago which I know isn't normal for them. I need to call.

My question was if it was the correct one. I really want it to cover that ugly ass factory turbo bracket. I want to make sure it's the right one before I try to stretch it onto the turbo and bracket and get it dirty and then find out it's wrong and they won't exchange it because it's dirty. Just trying to prevent those headaches. The brand is Thermal Zero

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

For you guys that have the blanket, are you running the stock turbo bracket? Does it fit under the blanket?

Looks really nice BTW. How long have you had it?

The DEI LavaRock one got mixed reviews from Amazon. It seems most of them start to shed a little after time.

I got it late last year and my car doesnt get driven in the winter. Its probably only got 300 miles on it. I can tell you i can make a hard pull and lay my hand on it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk