Turbo blades contacting the exhaust housing...

Rafs-T-Type

Not so Senior Member
So I took of my housing to have it coated and now it contacts the exhaust housing. Not up and down play, but the in and out way. When the bolts get tightened it locks the wheel into place. What would cause this? It's a new turbo so I mailed it back, but I'm still curious what would cause it. I'm not sure if it did it before I took the housing off or not. And just in case you are wondering, no they didn't coat the inside ;)

Only thing I can think of is if the housing did not go on straight that it could make contact. The clearance is pretty tight so it doesn't take much.

it wasn't hitting on one side or the other. all the blades made contact at the same time. It's like if I used a 1/4" spacer from the hot side housing to the center part then it would fit together proper. Obviously I'm not going to do that though.

The wrong heat shield could have been used or the flange area on the ex housing machined too deep

I didn't mess with the compressor side. I should find out by the end of this week what the hell happened. They got it last Thursday and said about 6-8 day turn around.

So it turns out that the oil fitting also holds the ball bearing housing in place. I loosened that part to get to a exhaust housing bolt to remove it. And that was the cause of it not fitting properly.

Rafs-T-Type said:
So it turns out that the oil fitting also holds the ball bearing housing in place. I loosened that part to get to a exhaust housing bolt to remove it. And that was the cause of it not fitting properly.

Could you explain this further? This doesnt add up in my head. The oil fitting is threaded into a cast bearing housing. How could it have an effect on the thrust?

I would if I could ;). A fellow member talked to them about it too. I'll shoot him a pm and have him chime in.

Something to do with the ball bearing cartridge. The way it was explained to me the oil fitting is a set screw as well. If removed the bearing can walk in or out.

RL

TurboBuRick said:
Something to do with the ball bearing cartridge. The way it was explained to me the oil fitting is a set screw as well. If removed the bearing can walk in or out.

RL

Yikes!

RL

I think that is why they have a paint mark on the oil fitting. I have a feeling I am going to get screwed on my DBB turbo repair as I think I broke the paint mark using a wrench on the fitting so it wouldn't move when I put the -4 adapter in. Sorta glad i'm going back to a JB turbo :p

Sorry Chuck...I don't know what an E-bag turbo is, but it is a presicion turbo. They ended up charging $60 for the repair. Lesson learned.

porsches4lunch said:
That doesn't make sense. You said it's a Precision? What model?

The fitting threads in and locates the shaft like a set screw. There must be a spacer that locates the bearings and the fitting locates it. If the fitting isn't there the shaft is free to move enough that the turbine assembly can move outward preventing the ex housing from going on.