Tuner or ricer?

faster

I am an A/C contractor and I was working at one of my customer's apartment complexes fixing heaters today. One of their maintenance men was working on his old Toyota truck outside and asked me if I had any metric sockets.

We struck up a conversation while I wait for him to finish and he tells me he races at Gainesville Raceway. I tell him so do I. He asks me what I run and when I tell him I own a white Turbo Regal Limited he says he's seen it (doesn't remember my Gold GS) and asks me what my best time was. I tell him 11.22 @ 123 mph. He tells me he only builds and races Honda's and his CRX's best time is 10 teens but doesn't remember the exact time or mph?

We talk of our build ups and he proceeds to tell me what I'm doing wrong and my Turbonetics 62 turbo is too big and I should go to a smaller one. He says I should also go to smaller injectors as my 50# are too big also. When I tell him about my alky spray and my duel #15 nozzles he tells me his are 45's that he injects into his intercooler as that is the best place to cool the charge. He says the turbo and intercooler out of a Volvo is the way to go as it is cutting edge technology and I should try it because it would spool up faster and let me produce more power.

Now for the best part of his story. He runs a "bone stock" 1.8 liter Honda in a CRX that is stripped to the shell with only the drive train and driver’s seat. He launches with and runs 25# boost with stock original fuel supply, the previously mentioned Volvo turbo and intercooler along with his home made alky spray with the twin #45 nozzles. Says he's making 425 horsepower and spinning the tires through 1st, 2nd and 3rd but having a problem keeping it together though and has only been able to make 18 passes in the last year. He's had to replace head gaskets 4 times and rebuild it twice. He has it together now and wants me to meet him at the track so he can run my Turbo.
Yea, yea, yea.

By now I've had enough and tell him I have to leave and need my ratchet and sockets back.

He filled my head with so much horsepoopy this was all I could remember.

Mikey

More like mentally retardation. I hate talking to guys like that, i usually give them the benefit of the doubt and listen to their stories. Yada yada yada, proof is in the puddin and maybe next time you see the guy tell him you were talking about 1/4 mile times in the 11s, not 10 second times in the 1/8th:wink:

Probably more like the guy knows someone with a car thats kinda fast, but he just doesnt understand what real cars are.

BW

The guy claims to have build a off shore ten second ride and yet doesn't have metric sockets.

I call BEEE ESSS !!! Raise the flag.

I'm thinkin' you need to take this guy's money at the track. I'd get some lengths too since you have an interior and actual creature comforts.

I hope he is one of the 85% that talks it, and doesnt have it...even if he has what he described, it's a lil f'd up set up. There are 5% that deliver the whoopins, but they rarely talk smack. I say beat him like a rented mule.

ANYBODY that would drive a foreign car in the US, is a complete IDIOT !.................why in the hell would you want to support a foreign economy.

The guy is a typical RICER, and seems to a little retarded.

ANYBODY that would drive a foreign car in the US, is a complete IDIOT !.................why in the hell would you want to support a foreign economy.

:confused: Almost everything we buy is from another country. I'm as american as apple pie, and drive a nissan. God forbid its good on gas and reliable at the same time. I wish more stuff was made in this country, but they always send the work abroad because of there cheap-ass labor costs.

Well, This can go both ways.

If his car really does exist and it runs that fast he's a tuner. A very uneducated one at that, but a can't knock anyone that can get an econo-box to go that fast on leftover parts.

NOW................On the other hand. (and I'm betting this is the truth) If he owns a 15 second, fart cannon equipped POS. He 's just a keyboard expert ricer. Who has spent too much time drooling at the NOPI shows. :rolleyes:

Sounds like another dumb ass ricer. You should have asked him how much hp does adding stickers to your car add.....I'll bet he would've had for you an answer.....that only he would have thought to be legit.

If thats the case, send your oil back from your beloved TR...it's likely foreign.
Some Fords are actually canadian made, send them back, and many Hondas made in Marysville and East Liberty Ohio get to stay?! I am not trying to be a jerk, but lets be real here, there are Mercedes, BMW, Ford, GM, and Hyundai assembly plants all in the SE USA..... VW is building in Tennessee, and Kia in LaGrange GA. That means none of those cars produced there are imported, and actually are exports from America.
Now if you want to talk about domestic made widgets that are owned by foreign companies, funded over seas your head will spin.
Its not as easy as people think...."if it sounds import it is"

Tell him he should get a set of metric sockets and that you were just kidding and you have a stock turbo and injectors on your car. Tell him ill race him . I have 83lb/hr injectors so ill be really slow because there way too big. lol

If thats the case, send your oil back from your beloved TR...it's likely foreign.
Some Fords are actually canadian made, send them back, and many Hondas made in Marysville and East Liberty Ohio get to stay?! I am not trying to be a jerk, but lets be real here, there are Mercedes, BMW, Ford, GM, and Hyundai assembly plants all in the SE USA..... VW is building in Tennessee, and Kia in LaGrange GA. That means none of those cars produced there are imported, and actually are exports from America.
Now if you want to talk about domestic made widgets that are owned by foreign companies, funded over seas your head will spin.
Its not as easy as people think...."if it sounds import it is"

Agreed. The comment Dwayne made wasn't very educated at all. Many GM and Ford products are produced in Canada and Mexico. Where do those wages go? to the local workers.

At least with my new Accord I can say "built/produced in America". In Ohio, and the plant employs American workers, paying them in American dollars.
Over 75% of the materials are also made in America, inlcuding assembling the entire drivetrain HERE. Sure, the design might be Japanese, but the production is HERE, employing workers HERE, paying wages and benefits HERE.

I think Dwayne needs to join us in the 21st century.

BUt, on subject, while there are "some" who can get those little Hondas to run 10's it's extrodinarilly expensive, and not on the parts he mentioned.

Apparently the cold temps in florida have affected this ricer guy! You better get those heaters fixed! :biggrin:

Oh yeah 60 degrees must feel like a cold snap for you poor saps in FLA! ERR NOT! try 23 out the other night! :(

so he only builds honda's and he runs volvo parts???? and he knows at a glance what you need to run on your buick????

he's had to rebuild the "stock engine" twice and replace headgaskets and he's gonna lecture you about reliability or how to make more power?????

granted, he may be able to run a 10 sec 1/4 with a CRX, which makes him a tuner, not a ricer, but he does have a bad case of headupa$$itis.

wrong title name,it should be stoner or idiot.wtf kind of babble is this a hole sayin to you.should of packed it in for another service call

Jeremy is his name and he is real young (21) and I'm guessing no one ever gave the kid any real education about physics, vehicles and engines. He is just parroting what he hears from the people he hangs out with.

I have this philosophy that states "Show me your friends and I will show you you're future".

He is really a good kid as I've now spent two days working in this complex with him "helping" as my go-fer. He works hard with never any lip and does what I tell him to the first time (he's fairly smart). I guess it will fall on me to educate him if he stays around long enough. I don't care if he wants to build and race Jap, just that he faces reality about it. Maybe there's hope for him.

Mikey

Go to the track with him and show him how slow hondas really are. Teach him the difference between RWD and WrongWD.

Go to the track with him and show him how slow hondas really are. Teach him the difference between RWD and WrongWD.

Wow.

Jeremy is his name and he is real young (21) and I'm guessing no one ever gave the kid any real education about physics, vehicles and engines. He is just parroting what he hears from the people he hangs out with.

I have this philosophy that states "Show me your friends and I will show you you're future".

He is really a good kid as I've now spent two days working in this complex with him "helping" as my go-fer. He works hard with never any lip and does what I tell him to the first time (he's fairly smart). I guess it will fall on me to educate him if he stays around long enough. I don't care if he wants to build and race Jap, just that he faces reality about it. Maybe there's hope for him.

It's really kind of you to actually take time and talk with him and be friendly. Most folks would just shrug it off and ignore him. He sounds very eager to learn and if he's interested in building a Honda there are plenty of online forums that will teach him the right way.