Tubular Upper A Arm

I got a real nice set from Brian at G-body parts. They run under $300 with ball joints.

I should have took a photo of them before I installed them.

Attachments

• Picture 227.jpg
    Picture 227.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 637
Bought upper and lowers and springs from Brian
Installed them last spring, Fit fine car rides so much better:)

Speedway motors has them for much less. Do a search for metric chasis GM parts.

Speedway Motors are different sizes from left to right. Unless I cant find the ones you are refering to?
I need some new ones as well and have been thinking about getting the Gbody ones.

Speedway Motors are different sizes from left to right. Unless I cant find the ones you are refering to?
I need some new ones as well and have been thinking about getting the Gbody ones.

You get 2 of the shorter ones. Just flip one of them over is all you need to do.:smile:

I got a real nice set from Brian at G-body parts. They run under $300 with ball joints.

I should have took a photo of them before I installed them.

Looks good John!

Off topic : Is that the b-body brake upgrade? Looks nice. How hard was that to install?

Thanks Scojack! That is the LS-1 brake upgrade. I used parts from the junkyard. It's not really hard. You have to modify the spindle, and machine the stock rotors into hubs. I opted on purchasing already machined hubs from flynbye.com. You also need brackets to bolt the caliper to the spindle, also available at flynbye.

Attachments

• modified spindles 1.jpg
    modified spindles 1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 481
  • Picture 224.jpg
    Picture 224.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 486
  • BGSLS1Bweb_jpg_w180h135.jpg
    BGSLS1Bweb_jpg_w180h135.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 474
Thanks Scojack! That is the LS-1 brake upgrade. I used parts from the junkyard. It's not really hard. You have to modify the spindle, and machine the stock rotors into hubs. I opted on purchasing already machined hubs from flynbye.com. You also need brackets to bolt the caliper to the spindle, also available at flynbye.

Nice! Ive already got the hubs ready to go, and the long studs as well. Only cost me a case to have old rotors machined... :wink: If I would've known they were availible ready to go before hand, I probably wouldve bought them.

Looks like I'll be modifying my spindles on the car. If I take them off, my brake upgrade will turn into a full blown suspension upgrade! My bank account can't take that right now, Ive got a 200-4R to rebuild.:frown:

How hard was it to modify the spindles? Thanks for such a great picture, I'll have to save that for when I do mine. I already bought the brackets from a board member here. Just need calipers, rotors, pads, and mounting hardware. Im thinking EBC pads & rotors, and new GM calipers. Ive heard some of the remans are weak between the pistons. :confused:

Mind PMing me some detials? Dont want to hi-jack the OP's thread too much... Thanks!

Nice! Ive already got the hubs ready to go, and the long studs as well. Only cost me a case to have old rotors machined... :wink: If I would've known they were availible ready to go before hand, I probably wouldve bought them.

Looks like I'll be modifying my spindles on the car. If I take them off, my brake upgrade will turn into a full blown suspension upgrade! My bank account can't take that right now, Ive got a 200-4R to rebuild.:frown:

How hard was it to modify the spindles? Thanks for such a great picture, I'll have to save that for when I do mine. I already bought the brackets from a board member here. Just need calipers, rotors, pads, and mounting hardware. Im thinking EBC pads & rotors, and new GM calipers. Ive heard some of the remans are weak between the pistons. :confused:

Mind PMing me some detials? Dont want to hi-jack the OP's thread too much... Thanks!

Of course, the spindles must be off the car to modify them, but an alternative would be to pick up an extra set of spindles, if possible, and modify them. You just need a good drill set, and a good 7/16" standard tap to make the existing holes that size to bolt the brackets on to the spindles. You need a die grinder. I just used some stone bits, nothing fancy, and a sawzall with metal cutting blades from Home Depot. I got most of the parts for the conversion at a local junk yard. 98 and above Camaros, which all have these brakes, are going to be hitting the yards pretty frequently in the coming years. Also, check E-bay for used ones. I bought the HAWK HPS pads. All I can tell you is they work extremely well and run about $80 for fronts. Here's a thread with a step by step on the project which was very helpful to me:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/172762-ls1-brake-mod.html

Attachments

• Picture 270.jpg
    Picture 270.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 416
You get 2 of the shorter ones. Just flip one of them over is all you need to do.:smile:

Actually ours are different from speed way. Look at where the ball joints mount. We have an extra curved flange that helps give added support on our less expensive uppers.

How do the polyurethane bushings stand up to the downpipe heat? I thought delrin would be better in this application.

How do the polyurethane bushings stand up to the downpipe heat? I thought delrin would be better in this application.

i am testing the theory right now, i installed the speedtech arms with delrin and no sheild to see what the result is so far no issues, will keep an eye on it.

i am testing the theory right now, i installed the speedtech arms with delrin and no sheild to see what the result is so far no issues, will keep an eye on it.
I have installed the Detroit Speed Upper & Lower a-arms on my car with Delrin bushings and have been on there over a year now with no issues at all from the down pipe heat. No heat shield either!

Scot W.