Truck tire load ratings?

EMcNeice

Just bought a 99 Chevy 1500 Z71, 5.3, ext cab. Need to put new tires on it. I'm a little confused with the load ratings.... Looking at the Nitto Grappler AT's but not sure if i should go with a D or E load rating. The most i ever plan to tow is a car (GN) and I dont plan on carrying much weight in the bed. Would I be good with a D rating or should I go with the E??

Load range "D" should be fine- that tire has a 6 ply sidewall, where the "E" has an 8 ply sidewall; that equates to a stiffer ride unloaded (E).

If you want to do it correctly, look at the # load rating on the tire, and do the math:

load rating per tire in lbs x 4= max vehicle load for the tires.

I've hauled a 9k lb boat & trailer with my Excursion with load range D tires.

Another good tire to look at is the Yoko Geolander AT.

I think "E" will rattle your teeth out ... just look at the recommended inflation pressures (up to 80 psi !).

For a long time I used to install only "LT265-75/16" (light truck) load range tires on my K1500 Blazer. A couple years ago I installed P-Metric series in the same size. What an improvement in ride & tire noise!

Unless the load you will be carrying in truck bed, or tongue weight, mandates an LT tire , you may even want to consider a P-metric tire. If you want or need an LT tire, I'd go with the lightest load range (C or D) that meets the actual load you will be carrying. I'd avoid an E.