Transmission slips after changing filter and fluid!

Chris Taylor

Got 6?
I have a Level 10 transmission that worked great until I changed the fluid and filter. I know that sounds crazy but thats when the problem started. This trans. was working great, 1-2 shift was very firm and positive along with third and O/D. I was tuning on the SMC alky. and was going to mash from a low first gear roll, full throttle. Started pulling like mad and then glided into second. I had this sickening feeling in my stomach and knew right away what had happened. Thought I would try seeing how the second gear band would hold by dropping out of third. It slipped second and slipped going into third. O/D still applies OK.

This transmission has less than 4,000 miles on it. Under normal driving the trans. works great. Good firm shifts through all four gears.

Could changing the filter and fluid do this? I guess I will put new clutches, steels and a band in it. Any ideas? This sucks:mad:

Thanks,
CT

I don't understand how it could happen just from fluid, but my wife's '86 442 did the same thing. She got some trans fluid from Wal-Mart (blue container) and I did the service on it. After she left my shop and got back to work, she called and said it "didn't bark the tires into 2nd anymore, it just slid". I checked out everything I did, saved the fluid, checked the filter seal, crimped the edge of the filter where the metal is crimped onto the plastic. Nothing changed it. I got a case of fluid from work and did a "flush" with adding fluid while the trans pumped it out thru the return line until I went thru the whole case of fluid. Added more to top it off and it got the snap back in the shift. :confused:

I never used Wal-Mart fluid again. Don't know if it was a fluke thing, but that was back in 94 and the thing still shifts very firm in all gears.

Sounds to me either neck isn't seated, or crack in feed pipe, or just plain not enough fluid in system. Sometimes they will show high on stick as correct level then after it drives burbs and now you are low. I am not by any means implying your stupid or an idiot as I have experianced this myself. 125 and 325 and 4T60's are notoriusly known for this. The fact that you changed fluid and it came back, almost tells me it was a level problem. I have never seen a brand difference other than "recycled" crap , and yes, if it was that, you mave have a problem.

As much as this sucks I would tend to lean towards "self inflicted" here, but..................coincedences do happen...&...I would have to say you are one helluva unlucky guy if this was the case. :)

The fluid level is dead on. I always make sure of this before racing or driving hard. The trans. fluid never gets above 150* either. I will check the filter neck when I pull the trans.

Could flushing the fluid have moved some chunk of crap or something in the transmission and clogged something up?

I'm afraid to change the fluid in mine cause it already slips and i'm afraid it won't work at all if i change it. I'm gonna have a TH350 swapped in for cheap so I don't have to worry about it anymore.