Translator or Translator + ???

Bodhi

Hi guys, I tried to search to this answer, but didn't see anything out there. I'm about to purchase a Translator to be able to run my LS1 MAF. My question is, which do I need? The translator or translator +? Also what's the deal with the extender chip? Does it replace the chip I have now? Currently I have a 86 GN that is stock, but I have purchased allot of stuff for it and I'm about to install it all.

Here is my setup:

PT-61
3" THDP
55" Inj.
Precision 93 chip (got the chip, Inj, Turbo all at same time)
Walbro 340 (Hotwired)
Accufab billet reg
RJC power plate
RJC Hybrid Boost Controller
Jay Jackson 62mm ported throttle body
Power Stroke intercooler
DIY Alky kit
3.5 MAF pipe with LS1 MAF & K&N
Griffin aluminum Radiator
Bigger oil and trans coolers

I will be getting either a DirectScan or Turbo Link very soon.

As you can tell I'm new to the Turbo Buick seen, So I want to learn as much as I can from you guys before I go out and break something.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Bodhi said:
Hi guys, I tried to search to this answer, but didn't see anything out there. I'm about to purchase a Translator to be able to run my LS1 MAF. My question is, which do I need? The translator or translator +? Also what's the deal with the extender chip? Does it replace the chip I have now? Currently I have a 86 GN that is stock, but I have purchased allot of stuff for it and I'm about to install it all.

The *+* allows you to change the timing.

The Extender allows you to fully utilize the extended range of the later MAF. Yes, it replaces the chip you have now.

BTW, install the DS first, so you know what you're starting with, rather then trying to figure everything out, after changing a bazillion things. You might even consider installing it, and then one by one making your changes, so you don't get lost in the process. AND, get a notebook, and start recording what you see on the DS, so you get familiar with what you're looking at, and have a record of what things were like when you started. It makes things ALOT easier when you go slowly, and have a method, rather then just *jumping* around.

They both do essentially the same thing but the MAFT+ gives you the timing control so you're not locked into whatever the chip has programmed in it. The Extender has a lot more options than most chips and is one of the smoothest running street setups I've ever had. If you can't tell, I highly recommend both :cool:

Bodhi I'm setup very similar to you and I started with the Translator out of "necessity". Then like a week later I realized I shoulda got the Extender chip too so I did. Then like 6 months later, I sold the Translator to get the Trans Plus so I could control timing and now I'm thinking about the Boost Commander and some Alky ;-)

So I guess what I'm saying is, Bob makes great products and you'll want them all ! :D

At this point, it's probably best for you to wait a week to two for the MAFtPRO, which I believe encompasses all those products (and more) into one box.

Mike