Trans-Ware Transmissions in Ontario, Canada

TWIN86GNS

I have a transmission that I need to have "fixed" and I have heard of Trans-Ware and I was wondering if anyone else has any first hand experience with them. I would prefer to have it done in Ontario to save shipping costs.

All replies are appreciated,

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

Paul - I also have a tranny in my 85 GN that needs a rebuild VERY soon.

I took it out during my rebuild - pulled the pan - lots of clutch material in the pan...never driven the tranny yet...motor was shot when I got car originally.

Let me know...I want to have mine done here as well....I am near Oshawa.

Jon.

Sorry Paul - ever done any business with National Performance ? Its somewhere near Toronto I think...GN place I heard about. Us Canadians gotta stick together - too much spent already on USD conversion and duty....

Paul , I had mine done by Mike at Trans-Ware . Mike has done many a GN trans. I supplied all the hard parts (Blue Plates , Kolene Steels . Shift Kit , Master Rebuild Kit , Hardened parts , TC, Servo, etc) the only thing he had to supply was the fluid and labour . The trans has about 600 miles on it and runs great . he told me with the parts that I had he would have to charge a customer $3000-$3500 dollars for the same trans. and the trans could easy be used in a 10 sec car . Go to a place (AutoStan) in Toronto that sell trans parts wholesale and get all your parts direct . just tell them you work for "joe blow" garage from out of town and they will cut you a deal . The guy at the counter is a real character . email me if you want more info .The only other person that I would have got it done by is "Milton Trans" . He is a little less expensive then Mike and really knows his stuff , but a bit of a drive away. take care.

Mike at Transware

Nothing ever but great things. All I know, who have had Transware work done, have been very happy and treated well from all the info I have heard. Mike St Eve and his wild Buick Powered Corvette had his done there I believe and look at his ride!!!
Very good Rep..

Thanks guys. This is what I wanted to hear especially the good words from Bruce. I will probably have both my spare and my original transmissions done by Mike.
KWIKR 1, I will probably get in touch with you in a couple of days in private email to get a list of parts you purchased from Autostan and also directions to Autostan's place.

Once again thanks to all that responded,

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

I would of loved to have purchased a trans off of Bruce . But with shipping and with the the money exchange . Arms and legs do not grow back :).

KWIKR 1 - did Trans Ware charge you 3000 to do it ? Or was he comparing it to if he had to purchase the parts.

I need a stock rebuild done - a few hardend parts and a shift kit would help but nuthin fancy - justa street car.

How much total at trans ware ? How much did you spend at AutoStan in trans parts ?

Hotsix , he was comparing it to if he supplied the same type of parts . I imagine you could get it alot less depending on the parts used . your best to call and tell him what your looking for . mine was a little over the top over kill . I picked up most of the stuff from AutoStan and a few things from Bruce . From AutoStan I was able to get the bulk of it (10 vane pump , master rebuild kit , Blue Plates and steels , Borg Band , sprags , bearings , hardened stator , Superior Super Servo ,hardened pump rings, teflon pump seal, etc ) . the only thing I not get were a few things like a Art Carr hardened drum , AC Shift Kit , boost valves , alum pan , and a few other little things . Autostan also carries Superior Shift Kits (TransGo) and parts . like I said , I think your best bet would be to call Mike .

info for those who want it : Auto-Stan Transmission Parts 24 Haas Rd (416) 745-1151 also AutoTrans in AB (780) 453-3767 . AutoTrans is where I picked up my Blue Plates and Kolene Steels at a cost of $332 (Canadian)alot cheaper then bring them over from the States . They also have no provincial sales tax . Both companys have web sites. take care.

Paul, Mike at Transware has done my tranny for years. Mike is a straightforward, honest guy. I get better than 3 years out of my 2004r's running hi 9's at the track and beating it on the street as well.
The last one was a few years ago. I used Bruce's (Performance Tranny) Brake and his tough parts, then Mike at Transware put it in. Great combo!

http://members.rogers.com/rogue15/ :cool:

I am also looking at getting a rebuild from Transware since it is close by and recommended. I will probably be giving him a call soon enough since summer is just around the corner...

I went to Trans-Ware and I spoke with Mike and he suggested I bring the car to him so he can take it for a drive to see what the problem is. I will be taking him the car in the next week or two depending on weather (snow).

Thanks for all of the replies,

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

Hey Paul
I had Mike do mine as well. He kinda scratched his head a little when I brought the Toy back for a road test, and he actually saw what car the tranny went into :D. No complaints

Paul

Tranny's

I've also had my transmission built by Mike at Transware. Haven't tried it out yet, but I don't have any worries about it not performing.

Auto-Stan is a place I have dealt with many times. Their website is http://www.auto-stan.com .They're good, and their really close.

Another good place to deal with for transmission parts is King-o-matic in Mississauga. You need to be a jobber to buy from them, but I'm sure you could just show up and pay cash. They are huge, and for a lot of things they will be cheaper than auto-stan.

...Mikey

There is a "King- O- Matic" in Scarborough at Ellsmere and Bellamy . And another big Trans supply house at Markham and Progress .

What kind of prices did you guys pay for a Transware rebuild and how built up were they for that price? I just have a mild 350 (250HP) and he said a stock rebuild would be fine for me - the price he gave was $800 w/convertor.

$ 1007.45 (Tax Inc) 10 hr labour ,$220 Parts which includes Amsoil Fluid (12 L Fluid alone was $100+) I supllied "all" other parts needed ( Plates , Steels , Band , Sprags , Hardened parts , Stator , 10 Vane Pump , Teflon Ring Kit , Shift kit , Roller Parts , Master rebuild Kit , Filter , AC Alum Pan, AC 9 " N/L TC , Non Lock Kit , Super Servo , etc , etc , etc) . no TC, re & re included . Go figure .

Originally posted by KWIKR 1
$ 1007.45 (Tax Inc) 10 hr labour ,$220 Parts which includes Amsoil Fluid (12 L Fluid alone was $100+) I supllied "all" other parts needed ( Plates , Steels , Band , Sprags , Hardened parts , Stator , 10 Vane Pump , Teflon Ring Kit , Shift kit , Roller Parts , Master rebuild Kit , Filter , AC Alum Pan, AC 9 " N/L TC , Non Lock Kit , Super Servo , etc , etc , etc) . no TC, re & re included . Go figure .

$1007.45 R&R and you supplied the extra $220 in parts? (ie. $1227.45 total?)