Trans Trouble.

OTHRWMN

Detroit Lions Fan!!!
I have about 500 miles on my rebuilt trans. On the way home from work I left the parking lot and the car would'nt shift out of 1st gear. Any stupid things I should check other then fluid level?

Thanks in advance.

Did it shift at all in the parking lot before you pulled out? How fast did you go attempting to get it to shift?

I have N,P,& R and 1st gear it just won't shift any higher. top speed is about 35 mph @ 4500rpm. At 20mph its revs to about 2500-3000rpm. I just thought it could be somthing simple like my throttle cable. I'm just not sure how to set it.

Thanks

An out-of-adjustment TV cable wouldn't cause a no-shift condition although proper adjustment is crucial to the life of the transmission. There is a procedure posted at www.gnttype.org.

Before you attempt adjustment, make sure that the TV plunger in the valve body isn't stuck. You can do this by simply pulling on the end of the cable and feeling for spring resistance. If the cable has no spring resistance, it's either broken/disconnected or the TV plunger is stuck in the valve body.

If your transmission simply went from shifting fine one second to not at all the next, you may have a governor problem or a stuck 1-2 shift valve in the valve body.

i have the same problem with my trans that was rebult and it sits in my back yard now , no money to fix it. I put my brothers t350 trans in , so if you find the problem please let us now so i can check mine out.

thanks

Originally posted by OTHRWMN
I have about 500 miles on my rebuilt trans. On the way home from work I left the parking lot and the car would'nt shift out of 1st gear. Any stupid things I should check other then fluid level?

More details please, you drove it work and was fine until you parked it? How did you leave the parking lot? normal driving, heavy acceleration? Who rebuilt it?

I drove the car 3 times friday to run errands with NO trouble.When I went to leave I accelerated hard out of the parking lot(last day of the work week & a 3 day weekend!)and it would not shift into 2nd. So I drove it 3 miles home at about 15-20 mph. That day I installed a XM radio receiver & turned my boost up.(20 lbs) I recently bought a new boost controller. I drove the car with no trouble after doing these two things.

The bitch of it is I am supposed to drive my cousin & his soon to be bride away from the church next Saturday at their wedding.

I bought the car a year ago and have done a ton of work to it but have not even put 2500 miles on it. Thats what bums me out.

Thanks