Trans shifting hard!

FlintBuick4Life

CHINAmerica...
Hey guys, I`m not dead:D just been busy. For the last month or so the Regal hasn't been shifting right. It gets to about 4000 RPM before it wants to shift:eek: I changed the trans fluid, filter and checked for lose vac lines and it still acts up... any ideas on what might be causing this? I know this isn't the trans forum, but everyone in that forum is going to have a 200R4 trans:D

i'm glad to see your alive. i'm sorry about the trans i dont know anything about transmissions.

Check to make sure you are getting vacuum to the modulator on the transmission. A lack of vacuum will make it shift late and hard.

Yes its a 350 turbo. I checked the vacuum line on the modulator and it was tight(that's come off before) I might take it off and see if the hose is torn or something is caught in it.

the modulator could be bad,its cheap enough replace and does control line pressure.does hte kickdown acable move freely? if its stuck in the downshift position it will shift very late.

It could POSSIBLY be the plastic govenor gear,although i usually wont upshift at all if its bad

the modulator could be bad,its cheap enough replace and does control line pressure.does hte kickdown acable move freely? if its stuck in the downshift position it will shift very late.

It could POSSIBLY be the plastic govenor gear,although i usually wont upshift at all if its bad

You know what, the cable has been broken for quite awhile, but never had problems till now. The plastic piece that spins around would slip a few threads, but still shifted fine. I will have to take a look at it tomorrow and see if it broke.

the modulator could be bad,its cheap enough replace and does control line pressure.does the kickdown cable move freely? if its stuck in the downshift position it will shift very late.

OMG! What are you doing here Otto.:eek::biggrin: Welcome and I hope you come and join in more often.:cool: I think you nailed it.:)

Video

I changed the fluid again cause the drain bolt was leaking and I checked all the vac lines and cables... all looks normal. I made a video of it...

youtube.com/watch?v=quXHrdDy834

You said the kickdown (detent) cable isn't adjusted right. Does the car kickdown normal when you hit wot? Does it kickdown at all? that cable does need to be hooked up right. The governor valve can get stuck with small debris and cause some problems like that but I don't think it's to blame yet.

I checked the kickdown cable today and it looks like its ok... it does slip threads once in awhile, but it has been that way for years. It might have kinked where it connects to the trans, I will unbolt it tomorrow and see if it moves or not.

ok right but does the car kickdown when you slam the gas pedal to the floor?

yeah, it takes off fine(kinda doggy, but that`s normal) but wont shift to 1st till it gets to 4,000rpm or so.

That's a no.
Have to get that cable adjusted right or replace it to continue chipping away at the real problem with your trans, I hope it's just the cable, or govenor valve perhaps even stuck modulator valve.
Once the cable is adjusted properly when your out cruizing in 3rd and you slam the pedal down, the trans is supposed to downshift or(kickdown) into 2nd or 1st gear depending on how fast your traveling. Unless your going REALLY fast, then no.
And it will do this every time. Right now I bet your car just stays in the same gear when you floor it while cruizing.

Almost sounds like the modualator valve isn't working right. Is it aftermarket and adjustable?

I will replace the cable just to be safe. The modulator valve is a aftermarket one, but I don`t think its adjustable. I think I will pull it off tonight while I have the garage all to myself and nothing to do tomorrow:biggrin:

Modulator has been ruled-out, just replaced it and same problem. I ordered a new kickdown cable, it will be in Thursday and hopefully that will solve it or I`m in deep s**t:rolleyes:

Sounds like if this continues your trans may die. If it's a 350 it's cool cause they are the simplest transmission in the world to rebuild. Hope you get it right.

I rebuilt one five years ago and it still runs great. I upgraded it with a Transgo kit. 4000-rpms to shift on first does not sound very good as Warwagon pointed out. :(