Trans brake Issues

Justa6MB

Had trans brake issues this summer (electric brake in a 200R4). It wouldn't always hold, it would typically roll a few feet then lock. If I pushed the button a couple times it would usually lock so after checking the wiring I figured it was the solenoid. I replaced the solenoid and same result. But I stumbled on that it seemed to lock better when cold, or if I held the button for a few seconds while in 2nd then pulled it into 1st. I can hear the solenoid clicking which makes me think it's something beyond. I understand that it locks the 1st and Reverse clutches and the solenoid releases Reverse... But could somebody please explain further how the fluid flows? When I changed the solenoid the line and fittings seemed ok, no cuts etc. The transmission is working great otherwise. Ideas?

I've got an electric tbrake, and I have no complaints. The brake doesn't engage right away is one thing I noticed. I drop it into 1st manual, hold the button, then maybe a half second later it engages and holds. I can't imagine it would be instantaneous anyways, with all the moving parts from the button being pressed to the 12v signal being sent, to the reverse and 1st clutches being engaged at the same time. However a call to the guys at EA might be your best bet, to get an est time for it to engage. I just started racing my car with the brake on Friday night, and when I took it out on the street last night I figured out what worked best for me was to drop it in 1st manual, keep my foot on the brake, press the tbrake button, wait a split second, then get off the brake and build boost. I'm not sure if itll help you, but heres a visual of the process I described:

Are you using a relay or is the 12v going straight to the button, then from the button another wire to the pin on the trans?

Last edited:
At idle, a lower flow rate is causing the delay.
Try raising the idle up, then hit the button.

Appreciate the help. Originally I had it wired direct to the button. When I changed the solenoid I wired it to the XFI with a solid state relay hoping I could use the creep mode for staging. So far that's been mostly unsuccessful. I have tried staging under throttle then hitting the button, but can't say for sure how long I waited to release the foot brake. How many rpm's are you thinking? I actually thought because it usually works if you push the button a couple times using the XFI to pulse modulate may have killed 2 birds.

Mine has a delay and to overcome this, when prestaging I set the brake so it fills the circuit with fluid. Then when I stage it sets up quicker and doesn't roll on me.