trans or conv. problem???

turbocam

This trans has always shifted hard with no slippage.My car recently sat up for a couple months,when i got the motor back together I started having a few problems.I talked to Chris @ CK perf. and he told me a few things to check first,but have figured out a few more problems and dont really have time to get in touch with him during the day.CK Stage 2 trans....Pats 3500 conv........
1.There is a whining noise in every gear........
2.The car jerks in low gear.........
3.It winds way up to shift...48mph min. on 2-3 shift
4.Cruising and drop below 48 it will drop back to second and pull against the motor like an engine brake on a big truck......It sometimes will pull against the motor then free roll then do it all over again....
5.I let it warm up about 5 mins. the other day in my driveway,got in and built about 8 pounds of boost in the dirt.It didnt even try to spin.I then drove it about 2 miles, pulled back into my driveway and it wouldnt even get to 0 on the boost gauge before it was spinning.BTW I have adjusted detent cable and eased up the road on just about every notch....

Doesnt sound good. With engine OFF try flooring and realeasing the gas pedal several times in row (20 times) maybe the TV valve is stuck in the VB.

As far as the test drive goes and "not spinning" that sounds liketehtrans maybe hurt.

If you drove the car any short distance (less than a block) with the TV cable backed off loose to try and see if that would help then the trans is probably smoked.

Hows the fluid look and smell?

Get a clean white sock or towel and wipe the dipstick on it...does it have any black/dark soot?

fluid color

The fluid was brown,like it has been hot.I changed the filter a couple weeks ago and there was a dark black gritty material in the pan.CK said it sounded more like conv. clutch material.I was just wondering if something inside the conv. could be loose or broken to cause these problems.Like I said the trans. seems to shift fine with no slippage,just has to wind way up.....This trans. has maybe 1000-1500 miles with maybe 5 low 11 passes......THANKS........

Awhining noise all the time including with the car not moving is going to be torque converter or trans pump.If there is something coming apart and clogging the filter it will do the same thing,but will usually slip.I would remove the trans pan and cjheck for debris.Email me pics or post them here and we can evaluate.Your issues do point to torque converter malfunction,something that has become increasingly common with that type of converter.I f it is something on our end I will stand behind it and fix it for you.Also a converter failure usually necessitates a trans overhaul because of debris.How long ago did you purchase it from us?

Sounds like the converter,i think it will do that when the (sprag?i cant remember the name gos bad).It will be a real dog(kind of like when its stuck in lock up)Or the lock up solenoid is stuck on.Unplug it and see if it helps.

chris718.How long ago did you purchase it from us?[/QUOTE said:
I originally bought it in 05-06.I sent it back to you for new clutches last year I think,I will have to dig up receipts to be sure on that.I didnt have a problem with it then,I just sent you a pic while changing my fluid and you said you thought I got some defective clutches.

Please keep us posted on how this goes

I will,thanks.I borrowed an old red stripe conv. from JCAWLEY here on the board.Just wanted to see if it would be worth my while to put it in,or if people leaned more towards a trans. problem first.............