Trans ID Question

Buicksx2

RCA: Home of the The Jack
Hi All,

Few years back I bought a parts car GN and kept trans out of it as a spare/core and thinking about selling it and got a couple questions with pics attached.

The parts car trans has a "404" on the back of the case and the front pump doesn't have a part # and the top of the bellhousing doesn't have the cut out at the 12 O'clock position like the two other GN trans' pictured below.

With this being a parts car that was running before I bought it I have not idea what if anything was done or can I verify it's a 2004R but don't want to sell it to someone if it ain't legit.

I am not a tranny guy so figured I'd ask about the "404" and front pump.

Thanks Trans 1.jpg Trans 2.jpg Trans 3.jpg

The factory put a tag on the rear pass side of the trans. This would tell what it originally came in.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

This one has no tag......wish I knew more and thought outside could be ID'd.

Thanks

Unfortunately, the only real way to tell what you have is to pull the pan and take a look. These things are so old these days that the ID tag could mislead. The governor is very specific and it's located toward the rear of the trans under the four-bolt cover.

governor.jpg

The valve body, if from a Turbo Buick, should have a painted ID; BQ for '84-85, BR for '86-87. It should also have all four terminals used in the electrical connector. Two to the solenoid and one each to the third and fourth gear pressure switches.

camaro024_zpsa7841288.jpg

Hi Greg,

Could I ask you to take a quick look at these pics as I took pan off tonight. The governor seems correct as you pictured above as does the BR3 valve body, but take a look at the wiring pic. There are two coming out of the solenoid but I see only 3 wires total and want to make sure it's correct before I sell it.

2/3rds of the info you posted look like it's a GN 2004R and if wiring is correct then I think I am good to go.

Thanks for your help Greg.BR ValveBody.jpg Governor.jpg Trans Wiring.jpg

That is definitely a gn governor and valve body. The wiring issue: see that brass plug in the back of the valve body? That's where the third gear pressure switch used to be and someone plugged it and deleted the wire to it. Easy enough to change but I don't know why they'd do it to begin with. Someone's been in it but it's still a performance core. Servo on the side should have the last three digits in the casting be "694" also. Vb and governor are the big things though

Thanks for the info........much appreciated.
I haven't seen you on. You liquidating your holdings? How's the freehold flyer? Hope everything is going well. Say hey to the rest of the jcc crew.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That is definitely a gn governor and valve body. The wiring issue: see that brass plug in the back of the valve body? That's where the third gear pressure switch used to be and someone plugged it and deleted the wire to it. Easy enough to change but I don't know why they'd do it to begin with. Someone's been in it but it's still a performance core. Servo on the side should have the last three digits in the casting be "694" also. Vb and governor are the big things though

>>> Thank you for that info I appreciate it.