Trans Cooler Plumbing Question

RKHiPerformance

Turbocharged Sex Cylinder
I can't seem to remember this for certain, but am I correct in thinking that the lower fluid fitting on the TH200R4 is the output to the cooler (to the top radiator fitting) and the upper trans case fitting is the fluid return (from the lower radiator fitting)?

Thanks for the help,
Rick

Can anyone confirm that the lower cooler fitting on the TH200R4's case is the output line?
I believe that the lower fitting is the output (pressure) fitting, but I was recently told otherwise. I'm unsure what to believe.

Thanks,
Rick

Top line on trans is pressure, bottom is return. At least that's what this chart I have here says........

here is the scoop

On the trans,(2004r) top is pressure out and bottom is return. If you run a temp gauge , you want it in the lower cooler fitting.
That is THE BEST place to take a reading from.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

Bruce, wouldn't the temp sensor in the output give a more accurate indication of the trans temp? The return line is going to be cooler than actual trans temps wouldn't it?

I was kind of thinking that too but I'm no trans expert.

temp.

Temp. sensor in the pan will give you the temp. that the pump is putting into the trans.
Makes sense to me.
Why do people try to over think this--weld half a 1/4 in. pipe coupling into side of pan and screw sensor in.

Lee Thompson said:
Temp. sensor in the pan will give you the temp. that the pump is putting into the trans.
Makes sense to me.
Why do people try to over think this--weld half a 1/4 in. pipe coupling into side of pan and screw sensor in.
cause not everyone has the ability / time to take off the pan, clean it up, weld real nice, etc ;)

i would think the pts pans would come with a bung pre-installed

No it wouldn't

The discharge or out line is converter discharge oil. It will tell you the temp of the converter discharge but NOT what the trans is seeing.
As for the temp bung in the pan, that can be what we call "stagnent" oil meaning, it is really not always in the circuit. By measuring at the return cooler line shows EXACTLY what the lube return circuit temp is and what the lubrication temp is.
Hope you follow this and if not, let me know and we will continue this discussion.
But, I hope this makes sense to all.
BTW: Our pans do have an 1/8th pipe plug in then for the drain, but to cheat and install easily you could put it there.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

Bruce, I have a very basic understanding on how an automatic trans works. I understand that the converter is a fluid coupler and has slippage in it when not locked. I thought as you raise the stall, slippage went up (at lower rpm) and caused extra heat that is detrimental to the transmission. I also understand that you can have a higher stall but still have a "tight" converter/less slippage or "loose" and more slippage. Is it friction from the bands that causes the extra heat or the converter?

Well...

The trans itself, (unless something is major wrong inside) will build very little heat. The converter is the heat pump. On boats, hell, we dont even run a cooler. But they also have no torque converter. So in essence, the answer to your question is the trans builds very little heat, some but not much. The converter is what produces most of the heat.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

it seems that most of us who LOVE to understand things and how they operate would benefit from installing 1 at each location.this would allow us to monitor what points of operation generate the most heat,how efficient the cooler is,differences in temp thru the operating range locked and unlocked etc.install 2 and open additional doors into the world of understanding the principles of operation. :smile:

WE4 said:
The discharge or out line is converter discharge oil. It will tell you the temp of the converter discharge but NOT what the trans is seeing.
As for the temp bung in the pan, that can be what we call "stagnent" oil meaning, it is really not always in the circuit. By measuring at the return cooler line shows EXACTLY what the lube return circuit temp is and what the lubrication temp is.
Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com
If one were to compare temp readings from the pan, stagnant oil, and the return cooler line what would the difference, delta, be? Also how much would a deep cast aluminum pan reduce the stagnant oil temps and retur oil temps?

One last question....Out of curiousity how long, on average, does it take for all of the fluid in a 2004R trans to flow through the whole circuit (pan->tc->rad->cooler->pan)?

follow up question

WE4 said:
On the trans,(2004r) top is pressure out and bottom is return. If you run a temp gauge , you want it in the lower cooler fitting.
That is THE BEST place to take a reading from.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com
Bruce, I am running external only tranny cooler on the front of the car. Does it matter if I run the top line output of the trans to the bottom or top of the cooler? I thought I should go into the bottom so it would be pumped through and cooled better. :confused:

well..

If you are just running the cooler alone, it doesn't matter. If you had the radiator in the circuit, things would be different.
Good luck.. :D

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com