Trans Cooler Pics

graza002

Nucking Futs
Does anyone have any pics of their install of the Ext. Trans cooler? I am gonna install mine, but I am not sure how to tap into the lines....

sorry, no pics. I mounted my cooler between the rad and a/c condensor. won't cool as well when the a/c is running but the cooler is well protected and hidden from view. the cooler kit should have some fittings to adapt to the original cooler line. just atach to upper line at rad and run the hose to external cooler. most newer style coolers can be plumbed in series with factory cooler, they will have a bypass feature to bypass ext. cooler if fluid temp is too low. if using an old cooler without a bypass, be carefull if you are in a cold climate- fluid flow when cold can be restricted and tranny can starve of lube-should run in parallel if thats the case.

sorry, no pics. I mounted my cooler between the rad and a/c condensor. won't cool as well when the a/c is running but the cooler is well protected and hidden from view. the cooler kit should have some fittings to adapt to the original cooler line. just atach to upper line at rad and run the hose to external cooler. most newer style coolers can be plumbed in series with factory cooler, they will have a bypass feature to bypass ext. cooler if fluid temp is too low. if using an old cooler without a bypass, be carefull if you are in a cold climate- fluid flow when cold can be restricted and tranny can starve of lube-should run in parallel if thats the case.

Thanks...do you have a link for the parts above? I have a cooler with lines but no fittings. I live in an area that maybe at its coldest gets in the 50's...at night as low as the high 30's but I dont drive the car then cause I dont have a heater :redface:

temp won't be a problem for you. I'm in canada where it can get to -30 degrees celsius, tranny fluid becomes very thick at that temp. running in series will be fine for you with any cooler. just go to any parts store and pick up a tranny cooler. there usually rated at towing gvw. bigger the better. I think mine was 18000 lbs gvw or something. aprox 10"*12". just tie into upper line at rad. with the line undone you can start the car very briefly to find out if fluid is going into the rad or out of the rad. ideally you want the fluid to flow from the factory cooler through the external cooler then back to the tranny. I can't recall for sure what way the flow is. it shouldn't make to much of a difference. If you just need the fittings you should be able to find some at a parts store. very common line fitting size. if all else fails you can cut the metal line and flare it slightly- to help retain the hose, although not ideal.

I run a Setrab cooler. I mounted mine at a 45 degree angle where the stock intercooler air intake was (between the air dams). You can't see it unless you look behind the bumper. I run a FMI Eastern so I don't use that area. No room to mount it on the raditor. I used a pair of adapters and AN couplers to by-pass the factory radiator cooler and tie the factory lines (at the radiator) to sleeved teflon hose and AN connectors, which run to the Setrab. I don't have any pictures but maybe I can take a few this weekend if you still need them.

temp won't be a problem for you. I'm in canada where it can get to -30 degrees celsius, tranny fluid becomes very thick at that temp. running in series will be fine for you with any cooler. just go to any parts store and pick up a tranny cooler. there usually rated at towing gvw. bigger the better. I think mine was 18000 lbs gvw or something. aprox 10"*12". just tie into upper line at rad. with the line undone you can start the car very briefly to find out if fluid is going into the rad or out of the rad. ideally you want the fluid to flow from the factory cooler through the external cooler then back to the tranny. I can't recall for sure what way the flow is. it shouldn't make to much of a difference. If you just need the fittings you should be able to find some at a parts store. very common line fitting size. if all else fails you can cut the metal line and flare it slightly- to help retain the hose, although not ideal.

Thanks for stealing my screen name. :rolleyes:

I run a Setrab cooler. I mounted mine at a 45 degree angle where the stock intercooler air intake was (between the air dams). You can't see it unless you look behind the bumper. I run a FMI Eastern so I don't use that area. No room to mount it on the raditor. I used a pair of adapters and AN couplers to by-pass the factory radiator cooler and tie the factory lines (at the radiator) to sleeved teflon hose and AN connectors, which run to the Setrab. I don't have any pictures but maybe I can take a few this weekend if you still need them.

Yeah if you could, that would be great. Do you have a link of the parts/fittings u used...sorry to ask dumb questions. I just dont want to do things half-a$$ed on this car. All I have been doing is correcting the past work done on the car. I too have a FMIC, its the RJC racing Mega-Cooler, so i was planning on mounting the cooler to the same place as you.

I cut off the ends to the radiator and installed an aftermarket aluminum radiator. My battery is in the trunk, so I installed the trans cooler where the battery used to be. Many will think this is strange.

Attachments

• S5030080.JPG
    S5030080.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,025
I cut off the ends to the radiator and installed an aftermarket aluminum radiator. My battery is in the trunk, so I installed the trans cooler where the battery used to be. Many will think this is strange.

Might be strange but I am sure not too many others have it done this way, Thanks

Setrab Cooler install

I run a Setrab cooler model #619. I used their 22mm to AN6 adapters with couple 90 degree fittings to connect braided teflon hoses from the cooler to the factory trans lines where they connect at the radiator. I used adpaters to go from the factory trans lines to the -6 hoses. I capped off the factory radiator cooler. It is mounted with a couple of fabricated brackets made out of aluminum flat bar stock I got from Home Depot. You can't see the cooler unless you look under the car. You are welcome to call me if you have any other questions. PM me and I will give you my number.

Attachments

• DSC00172.jpg
    DSC00172.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,041
  • DSC00176.jpg
    DSC00176.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,027
  • DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 994
This how I did my B&M trans cooler. It's the larger of the two that come with the fan already attached. I have it wire that when the radiator fan comes on, it triggers the relay. I also comes with its own temp switch, which I did not use.

PB020018.jpg

PB020014.jpg

PB020012.jpg

PB020011.jpg

I don't have the -6AN lines ran yet in the pics.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

This how I did my B&M trans cooler. It's the larger of the two that come with the fan already attached. I have it wire that when the radiator fan comes on, it triggers the relay. I also comes with its own temp switch, which I did not use.

I don't have the -6AN lines ran yet in the pics.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Thanks I like that set up you have.