Trans cooler - enough to bypass radiator?

BM Computer Src

Can I run just an external trans cooler (20-25,000 BTU unit) and not run it through the radiator? The reason I ask is because I run these cars hard - (road racing at Sebring is a good example , 30-45 minutes of continous boost and hard running) and I need to keep all the temps as low as possible.

This means the radiator for the engine, and an external cooler for the transmission. How much worse, if any, will it be if I do not run through the radiator and just use an external 20 or 25,000 BTU unit? My goal is to keep the engine and transmission as cool as possible.

Thanks!
Bob

Don't do it!

If you have a powerful engine you can run the temperature of your trannie oil through the ceiling quickly under one long acceleration run with just an air-side cooler. I tried this when I bought a new radiator without the submerged cooler and ended having to buy a second radiator with a built-in cooler. The trannie actually runs cooler during normal driving but go WOT for a mile and the trannie temp. quickly tops 250 F.

My air-only cooler is large--not biggest but close--plate and tube--supposedly the most effective design, has a dedicated fan, and is mounted in a strong airstream. The dedicated fan only provided a measurable benefit around town and had showed no discernable effect at WOT.

Water is many times a better heat conductor than air.

Thanks, good point. I am looking for the best way to keep the transmission cool during these extended beatings... Any ideas beside getting the biggest external cooler and using the radiator?

Thanks
Bob

To a point..

I agree with Clay.
However, with todays technology, there are some really neat and VERY effective stand alone coolers available. I know of a few but be preared to pay, and pay big. They are not cheap but are AWESOME stuff. With stack plate design , The common one we sell , install and use, using the largest one , you would probobly be ok. Just moniter with a gauge. DO NOT get power brake happy :) I got some new stuff that we do not even advertise that you could run alone safely. All depends on your money vs desire. Honesty is honesty.

:D

Bruce
WE4

Two lane..

Thanks for the link, however, they are NOT even close to the stuff I am talking about. To be honest, a stack plate cooler would out do those. I am talking from on hand experiance here. The fan is worthless. Like I said, thanks , but in this case, they are NOT what this guy would want.

Bruce
WE4

So are 2 coolers a bad plan? I'll probably call you Bruce, to get some of your ideas. I know you had mentioned something about your wanting to do road racing. Its a blast - I just worry about these auto transmissions.. Mines built well with all the goodies, but I dont want it burning up.

Why are we TTTing?

LOL :D What are you still asking? 2 coolers? Well better than one but like I said depending on how much concern your wallet has will determine what concern the cooler is.
Call shop and get Mark on the phone. I can tell you more from there. Like I said we don't usually sell these coolers strictly because of cost but they are the best.

Bruce
WE4

Bruce,
Just for the curious... Can you share the details on these coolers, or is this something you want to keep "in house"?

Paul