Trans acting erratically

WE4posi

Okay so I'm new to Grand Nationals. I've owned this one for all of a month and I believe I'm having transmission issues.

It all began after after an hour or so of driving on the highway. It stalled for a split second, then goes, then stalled, goes, stall, go, stall, go...I pulled over and the car dies in first gear. Start back up, dies. Start back up, give more gas and it goes. Stalled in about every gear.

Take my baby to the transmission shop. They pull the pan, said the filter was just sitting in the pan. It's a 200 4r trans with a 700 R4 filter. Anyway, they said my 3000 lockup converter is bad.

I order a 3000 lockup converter for TCI, (they sent a non-lock up) and it gets installed.

I pay the shop, it was not their fault the wrong part came in, and I drive off into the sunset, a bit mad but happy nonetheless I got my car back fixed.

Wrong! Starts acting the same way again!

So im reading all I can on site but not finding my issue. What is the best starting point from here? Could I have gotten a bad torque converter? Any help would be great.

Attachments

• 1423360120969.jpg
    1423360120969.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 137
Here is my car specs

*Heavy duty rocker arm shafts
* Precision PT-6265 polished
*63 mm Precision exhaust housing
*84 lb Delphi injectors
*Modified ECM to run bigger injectors
*adjustable fuel regulator
*Red's volt booster
*Red's hotwire to fuel tank
*Red's Dual in tank fuel pumps
*New E-H pump assembly for brakes
*RJC power plate
*GN1 Performance Super Extreme front mount intercooler
*GN1 cold air intake with K&N filter
*Aluminum Radiator
*Dual Spal fans with Casper's Harness
*LC1 Wide Band
*Scanmaster
*Turbo Tweak adjustable chip for E-85 settings
*Janis Stage II transmission
*Hughes aluminum deep transmission pan with 700R4 filter
*HR parts trans mount
*PTC 3200 stall lock up converter
*New heavy duty U joints
*external transmission cooler
*ATR 3 inch down pipe
*ATR headers
*ATR exhaust
*ATR Pit Bull mufflers
*Dual air bags in rear springs
*Moog springs in rear
*Mickey Thompson tires with
The car is set up on E-85.

If you suspect a trans issue Id get the pressures before moving any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the filter wasn't sucking fluid, I don't see how the car moved.
X2 on bison comment. Get a gauge on it and see what you have. Then you can make sure your tv cable is set correctly. Sad you swapped out the ptc converter. I would go back to the shop and get it if you didn't take it with you. Dusty will freshed it much cheaper than getting a new one, and it is probably light years ahead of the TCI unit the shop installed.
I also hope the shop put the 700r4 bottom feed filter back in. There is a reason for it.

This sounds more like an engine problem. If the converter is locking up prematurely it would only stall once the trans is put in drive or reverse. And this stops the engine immediately. The car can move forward in all gears with the T/C locked, but only if the car is moving.

If you suspect a trans issue Id get the pressures before moving any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the filter wasn't sucking fluid, I don't see how the car moved.
X2 on bison comment. Get a gauge on it and see what you have. Then you can make sure your tv cable is set correctly. Sad you swapped out the ptc converter. I would go back to the shop and get it if you didn't take it with you. Dusty will freshed it much cheaper than getting a new one, and it is probably light years ahead of the TCI unit the shop installed.
I also hope the shop put the 700r4 bottom feed filter back in. There is a reason for it.

The shop did not put the bottom feeder back on.
The trans was over filled so it may have been how the transmission still worked without the filter
I do have the PTC converter in my truck. How do I contact Dusty?

I figured I might look at the fuel system after checking transmission pressure.
Also my turbo has an exhaust leak on the exhaust side. And turbo chatter, so there is that to fix too.

The shop did not put the bottom feeder back on.
The trans was over filled so it may have been how the transmission still worked without the filter
I do have the PTC converter in my truck. How do I contact Dusty?
(256)762-0086
dbrad5387@yahoo.com
http://www.ptcrace.com/

I run a 700r4 filter and fluid a quart over full. You don't want to be suckin air. That's how clutches and bands get smoked.

Thanks Texas, I will give PTC a call tomorrow. I wonder if my old converter is even bad?

So what had happened was; the old torque converter was bad, the new
torque converter is a Lock-up but the transmission shop thought it was not so they left my trans Lock-up wire disconnected. I plugged it in. Changed oil change, plugs, and new fuel filter. And it is back to running great!
The TCI does not seem to hook as quickly as the PCT converter but it could be just my imagination. I will send it off to be rebuilt.
Thanks for the support :)

Last edited: