Tranny pushed out front seal for the 2nd time

280GNZ

I had the front seal push out on me a few years ago. Nothing looked bad just the seal had come out??? I put in a new seal looked for cracked housing. nothing??
So Wed i am out for a cruise. get on it a lil bit. and looks as tho the motor blew with all the smoke. Sure nuff. the seal has come out again. I am pulling tranny out tomorrow. what can i do to stop this???
Thanks Jerry

few things

front bushing badly worn
drain back needs to be enlarged
seal retainer needs to be installed

sometimes auto parts stores have the seal and retainer.. but the pump bushing most likely needs to be replaced.

Attachments

• 37902.jpg
    37902.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 213
From a physics standpoint the seal retainer does little. Chances are something else happened and is causing the seal to come out. Id pull the pump assembly and check the bushing and be sure its not worn or spinning in the bore. Ive seen them walk up against the seal and cause fluid to be dumped. Enlarging the drainback hole helps. Id look at the converter pump drive to be sure its free of problems such as cracks and or run out. Check the seal bore for cracks also. Id use bearing retainng loc tite on the back of the bushing also. Post pics if you can.

If the bushing is wiped also look very closely at the convertor hub and be sure there are no cracks where the pump lugs contact.

Ok i just pulled the Tranny. To my suprise the seal had NOT blown out. The lip of the rubber seal with the spring was rolled out? Not sure if it did that when i pulled the converter out or was allready that way. But, the metal seal lip was still bottomed out. The way it dumped the fluid out it had to be the seal leaking.
What would yall check that could of caused this? (bushing in pump) how do you check this?
Thanks Jerry

Also check to make sure the cooler in the radiator isn't plugged. This will allow the fluid to build behind the seal and push fluid out. Mine did this and I chased it for a few months before I finally caught the cooler stopping the fluid flow. Did it with my cooler flusher on my lift. Bypassed the cooler in the radiator and use an external with a fan on it and never pushed fluid out the seal again. Mine never popped the seal out of the pump either.

Glad you asked that. While I had the tranny out and the car in the air.
I tried to blow out the lines so they wouldn't drip.
And the air compressor had trouble blowing the lines clear???
It has a aftermarket inline with the factory.