tranny mods required for NON-LU convertor

channer

Hi All

I have a line on a NON-LU converter. What tranny mods are required to install this converter? is this something that I can do on my own... or left for a tranny shop?

Is there any other mods required when switching over to NON-LU? Computer Chip? anything?

TIA... dave

Non lockup valve, take oring off the end of input shaft. Remove the smaller snap ring out of the pump, opposite the manual valve side. Remove the valve and 2 springs. Install non lockup valve as per manufacturer. Reinstall little disc and snap ring. Some n/l valves require removing the pump and taking out an orifice and putting in a set screw. I use the Gil Younger one that is a t piece valve with a little spacer that goes inbetween the 2 valve pieces and no pump removal is required.

?

Non lockup valve, take oring off the end of input shaft. Remove the smaller snap ring out of the pump, opposite the manual valve side. Remove the valve and 2 springs. Install non lockup valve as per manufacturer. Reinstall little disc and snap ring. Some n/l valves require removing the pump and taking out an orifice and putting in a set screw. I use the Gil Younger one that is a t piece valve with a little spacer that goes inbetween the 2 valve pieces and no pump removal is required.

I am in the process of converting a N/L to a L/U.
The pump has the set screw installed and a different spool in the lock up bore. Any reason I can't install a stock L/U spool and springs and then drill the set screw to the factory size hole? I know I will need to back the set screw out some and re Loctite. Thanks.

Been there done that too. I can't remember the orifice size right off hand but did that for a 200 that got sent out of state and came to me as a n/l setup. I just matched the drill size to a pump I had lying around and backed it out a bit. :smile:

Gneric
Thanks for the input, seem like a lot of work.

Exactly. Longest part is the draining if you don't have a drainplug installed. :)

Sounds worse than it really is. It can all be done by simply removing the pan and then accessing the valve by removing the TCC solenoid which is only 2 bolts.

Just to clarify....

Getting ready to put a non lockup torque convertor in my car. Just want to make sure the 700R4 non lock up valve works.

I called a local trans parts place and they said they dont have them for the 200 but they did have them for the 700...Is this what I need?

Getting ready to put a non lockup torque convertor in my car. Just want to make sure the 700R4 non lock up valve works.

I called a local trans parts place and they said they dont have them for the 200 but they did have them for the 700...Is this what I need?

yep it will work

yes