tranny issues (what else? hehe)

1984grandnat

I am getting a VERY loose 1st to 2nd shift (sometimes taking a full second to finally get there). Feels like it is either slipping or just can't decide. Won't even come close to chirping tires going into 2nd. Sometimes feels like it actually tries to grab 2nd twice. TCC lockup is not the issue, it doesn't lockup period. Tried to short pins A & F, without success. I just want to know if it's time for a new tranny, or does this sound like a common problem that is easily repaired (without a huge investment)?
Also should mention, car feels alot better from 2nd to 3rd.

Did this happen all of a sudden? new trans? how many miles? Sounds like some sort of band or band anchor pin or volcano problem. Drop pan and ck band clearence. While your there ck the accumulator spring for 2nd gear.

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Probably the original tranny. No known modifications. Have heard that the early trannies don't shift quite as well as the later ones, but I think it should be better than this. Have been thinking about adding a shift kit anyway, would this likely fix the problem?

If it is slipping that bad on the 1-2 shift, I bet your band is shot. Mine did the same thing and when the transmission was torn down we found the band cooked along with the direct clutches.

Shift kit won't do much...time for a rebuild or replacement IMO. A "deluxe" rebuild kit can be had for around $100. The real money shows up in paying someone for 20 hours of labor :(