200 4r dilemma fixed!

Douglee

A while back, I started a thread titled 200 4r shifting dilemma and received a few replies to which I tried some of the suggested fixes. Nothing seemed to work so the trans came out again. Convinced that my problem centered around the valve body, I left the pump on and touched nothing inside. I set up a work table and disassembled the valve body, cleaned that out as throughly as Brakleen pressure from a can allows and then air-dried from a Sears air compressor until dry. I re-read the instructions from the Transgo kit(for the 10th time) I had installed and noticed the 2-3 spring that goes on the 2-3 T.V. valve seemed to be hanging up inside the valve body between the passageways. I tried the two springs that were supplied with the kit and noticed something worth mentioning. The smaller diameter spring appeared too small to fit onto the stem of the 2-3 T.V. valve, until I turned the spring around and tried the other end. It fit onto the stem, snugly, which I may not have tried the first time and thought it needed the larger spring, which I used. The only other thing I did worth mentioning, was to fit another seal onto the shaft of the governor, which made me feel like it could now hold some fluid pressure, compared to the seal that was on it before. Being the cheap bastard I can sometimes be, I strained the old tranny fluid, used the same filter and tried it again. Lo and behold, we now have 4 gears, converter lock-up(via a lighted toggle switch) and a big sh*t-eating grin behind the wheel. The upshifts feel positive without being harsh, with good timing between shifts. 2-1 kickdown smooth and firm, detent downshifts smooth and positive and no slide, flare, bump or bang. It feels like the car was made for this trans. I'd like to thank everyone for the great info and help you've given, even if it was just to share your experience. A BIG thumbs-up to Chris at CK for the manual he wrote, which encouraged me to figure this out myself. If a dumb-ass like me can do this, just about anyone can with the right information and some common sense. WHOO-HOO! I'm Happy!

Thanks for taking time to report back your findings, its great that you figured it out and shared the results with us. Time to have some fun now!

good job on the diagnosis!

its always a good feeling when you figure out shit and fix it yourself :D

especially when it saves you bookoo bucks