Towing with a GN

I've towed a boat before with the GN. 23 footer. Had tons of power to pull it. Although my tranny didn't care for it very much, but I think it was on the way out. It was just my second gear band, and I can't confirm it had anything to do with the boat.

A trailer that small, should be no problem. Heck, you probably won't know it's back there. Make sure you have decent brakes. The longish wheelbase of the GN makes it real nice and balanced to tow. I wouldn't recommend a bunch of tongue weight if you don't have rear air bags, although my GN didn't sit down too far with a boat on the back.

Get a good light wiring harness kit. Don't go cheapo and get one that'll rust out. You'll start getting shorts and screwy light problems.

Lastly, backing up may be a slight pain with such a short trailer. But I'm sure you'll learn that in time.

For the record, I normally tow with my truck, but on this one occasion I had to pull with the GN.

Their was one dude around here that towed his GN to the track with his T-type daily driver...Used one of those tow dolleys.

You'll have no problems as far as power. The transmission (as already mentioned) may complain depending on your trannys condition. I towed a wave runner for several seasons with my 1st GN. It felt like there was someone sitting in my back seat was all.

It should pull it just fine if you've got a properly set up hitch and wiring. Leave the tranny out of overdrive while towing and it shouldn't even hurt it if you are easy on it. I was at a local bracket race about a year ago and saw this older guy with a very nice 70k mile astroroof GN that he uses to pull his 60's camaro drag car to the track on a regular basis and he said it pulls great. I may have to get a pic of that setup next time I'm there.

bob

What I think damaged my transmission (if this was truly the cause) is a problem I had while towing the boat. We had to stop on the interstate because on of the cushions on the boat was flappin' around. After securing it, I was left with the fun task of trying to merge back into traffic from the shoulder of the road with a boat on the back. I just waited for a halfway decent spot and punched it. My buddy was behind me in a Saturn. Later on that day he told me that he floored his Saturn as well to follow me but I still outran him. :O

Sounds like I will have no problem with just the small trailer when others are pulling boats, cars and stumps:D

Ron

Like gn85, I too towed my boat with my GN. It was a 24'r on tandem axle galvanized trailer. The boat alone weighed 4500# dry.

I then towed it from VA to CA. Took the southern flat country route though.

You should have no problems what-so-ever with a little trailer like that.

I once saw a book for sale somewhere- probably on E-bay- about towing with a grand national. Maybe Kirban knows something about it. I think GM sold it at one time.