torque conveter lock up speed?

AV62NV

wanting to know what speed i should lock my converter? i have pat's 10". running pt&e 6162 turbo at 25 psi. have it locked set now at 53mph w.o.t. right after 3rd but way to early knocks my bost down to 15 psi when it locks. wanted to get an idea cause have to send my chip to eric to change lock speed. and didnt want to send it more than a few times thanx in advance

When I was racing I had mine programmed to WOT lock at about 88mph (a couple/few seconds after the 2/3 shift).

Mine works good at 65-70. Mine is in 3rd right at 60 MPH.

This is at the track only. I turn the WOT LU off on the street.

Lock mine at wot 85 mph. At this speed the RPM drop is about the same as the RPM drop for the 2 - 3 shift. Get Erics chip that allows you to change it yourself that way you can find the best lockup for your car. I would think every car has it's own best lockup speed.

Lock mine at wot 85 mph. At this speed the RPM drop is about the same as the RPM drop for the 2 - 3 shift. Get Erics chip that allows you to change it yourself that way you can find the best lockup for your car. I would think every car has it's own best lockup speed.

Try it at 70 next time and let me know what happens. Not sure why I am telling you all my secrets. :biggrin:

Do you have any ET/MPH data to show why 85 MPH is best for your car? How did it perform at other MPH? :confused:

wanting to know what speed i should lock my converter? i have pat's 10". running pt&e 6162 turbo at 25 psi. have it locked set now at 53mph w.o.t. right after 3rd but way to early knocks my bost down to 15 psi when it locks. wanted to get an idea cause have to send my chip to eric to change lock speed. and didnt want to send it more than a few times thanx in advance

If you have one of the 5.6 or older chips, I would suggest getting the 6.0 chip. I think you can run it without the WB correction stuff too. The 6.0 chip you can adjust the LU MPH yourself. Or I would get a manual switch and lock it yourself. Having it always lock at a certian MPH at WOT all the time will be hard on your trans and TC. Especially if you floor your car and you are already above the WOT turn on point. It will drag the RPMs down and create a lot of strees and burn up the trans/TC

Try it at 70 next time and let me know what happens. Not sure why I am telling you all my secrets. :biggrin:
Because You Are My Turbo-Car "Mentor" and all around nice guy. :smile:
How's that for a nice answer.....

Do you have any ET/MPH data to show why 85 MPH is best for your car? How did it perform at other MPH? :confused:
YES I DO....It's called "Seat of Pants" data. I didn't get the same Rush when it locked at 80 as I did at 85. But because you are my mentor I will lock it at 70 and see how much adrenaline rush I get there.....:wink:
As far as ET/MPH Data, "I Don't Need No Stinking et /mph Data.....:biggrin:

O.K. Let's give this thread back to AV62NV.

thanx again to all. think i will go with the 6.0 chip

Good idea. IMO the LU should only be used at the track when you have a good momentom going. Also the lock will depend on how fast your car is. I would say for a 12.0 sec car and slower start at 90MPH and test down from there.

On the nearly stock cars ive tested they picked up the most when locking at about 4400 rpm in 3rd. My 2-3 with my highly modded engine is at 92mph and i run a NL converter.