torque converter-turbo

garrett

I am going to take my buddie's transmission out of his car soon to fix a leaking input shaft seal. He has a stock 87 GN torque converter in the car now. I have a orange stripe converter I was going to put in the car while the tranny was out. Right now he has a relatively stock combo with a stock turbo, 36lb injectors, Dutt-neck intercooler, alcohol, and chip. I know he is going to want to put a bigger turbo on the car in the next 3 years. Does it make sense to put the orange stripe in now? How big of a turbo can he run on tha stock torque converter without lag problems? (TA-49 or a TE-44). What would the orange stripe converter be like with a stock 87 turbo in the meantime?

Stall

I believe the stall of an Orange stripe converter is 2800-3000. I got it used, and used it for a few months. I later bought a complete transmision and matching torque converter from PTS Extreme, so I stopped using it.

inmo no.the orange strip just isn't a good peice and he will be very limited in size for the new turbo.i ran the orange strip years ago with the stock turbo and a ta49.the d5 is a good match with the stocker,but didn't like the d5 on the 49.

$$$

The only reason he would be using the orange stripe converter as opposed to another is because it's what I have laying around the garage. Money is an issue, and the car does have other needs right now. I was planning on hooking him up with the converter and possibly a used TE-44 with a Garrett exhaust housing in about a year or so.

I say if you have the trans out then yes. it will be better then whats in there and its not like it takes anymore to change the converter with the trans out.

I had a stock converter with te44 and it wouldn't spin the tires in the rain. complete pig out of the hole.

imo it can't be any worse than the stocker....

the stock turbo,d5 is a good match,and with the alky makes for a fun street no hassles combo.we had the stock combo with meth go much better than a 49 with an orange strip,then we put in a 10.5 pro-torque same stall as the orange strip and the 49 car went faster.inmo he should get a real converter to match a turbo upgrade and if funds don't allow just wait,that stock setup with meth at 25psi is a nice combo.

He's not going to pull 25 lbs of boost with this car and set-up. He has a crapy SMC system and his car isn't perfectly tuned. He may be safe with 19 or 20 lbs of boost. The other point is that he does not have the money for an expensive converter now. The car was a basket case when I first got my hands on it. It's come a long ways, but still needs work in several areas.

garret it sounds like you have your hands full and the owner of the car won't be pursueing higher boost levels.if the tranny is stock,putting a looser converter in the car will build more heat in the tranny,that maybe something to consider and one of the reasons i suggested leaving the d5 in.in these cars changing one part has ripple effects.if the guy is only going to run 19 or 20 psi i doubt he would go faster with a 49 and an orange strip vs stock turbo/d5.

Ok, I'll try to convince him of that. He's not real technical about the cars. He tends to want the bling and the flash and cares less about substance. It's fustrating sometimes tring to convince him not to do certain things. One of the worst things he forced me to do to the car was to add these stick on LED turn signal strips to the side mirrors after he had the car painted. If they were inside the mirrors like on some of the cars produced now, it would be cool. To have them stuck on the outside with sticky tape looks stupid and it almost broke my heart to do it. But he insisted that he wanted it. Now he wants fender vents that are chrome on a black GN- like the fake stick on ones people put on their $hitbox cars. He also wants me to build him a grill like the Crysler 300.

the orange stripe is a much better piece than a stocker. imo the stocker is a pig. i had a orange with a ta49 and ta 60 years ago and it worked great. just my opinion,good luck