Torque Converter Lock Wiring

we4Mateo

Double you eee what?
I want to install a toggle switch on the dash or possibly a push button on my steering wheel to lock the TC @ WOT in 3rd. I don't want to use a paperclip as that will lock it in 2nd, and I don't want it to operate that way.

What are some different setups out there for this? In regards to wiring, do most just supply the ground to the ALDL pin A or are people running power directly to the TCC solenoid itself?

TIA for information on this. Need opinions too please: pros/cons...;)

we go directly to the computer.. That way if your doin a lot of street driving around 40/50 mph the converter can be turned off.

I have two ways to do it. I have a switch wired to the TCC input wire to the ECM.

But the most elegent way to do it, IF you had an Extender chip would be to set a WOT TCC lock speed in the chip! When I was racing I would have it set to 88 mph, which is in a nice place in my car's WOT power curve in 3rd gear.

I don't think you can change it in the TT 5.6. I know when I ordered that chip I had to specifically ask to have it lock at 90 MPH

I know that I can do it with my TT chip but with the 5.6 version, it'll lock all the time. I like the idea of disabling the solenoid so that it does not lock around 45/50 mph but I still want the ability to force a lock @ wot. What's the best way to do this? Specifically what wires to splice and will it work as I wish?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

we go directly to the computer.. That way if your doin a lot of street driving around 40/50 mph the converter can be turned off.

How do you do that exactly? What wire? And are you interupting the wire to the tcc solenoid? I don't understand how the switch can prevent lock @ 45/50 mph but still force a lock @ wot in 3rd.

thank you!

Should I post this in the transmission section or can no one seriously help a brotha out? Am I being shunned for some reason! If so, please advise why...I had no luck searching.

Ok gotta ask, why again wouldn't you want the converter to lock in 4th at 45-50mph?

Ok gotta ask, why again wouldn't you want the converter to lock in 4th at 45-50mph?

Because with the tranny mods needed to lock a converter at wot, the TC locks VERY hard while just cruising around, especially with cold fluid at 45/50mph. If I can disable TC locking, then it'd drive around smoother until the fluid was warmer or until I'm on the highway and can just flip it on again. This part seems easy to me though, but I don't understand how a switch can disable lock and still force it at wot as was previously stated by another member as their setup.

I don't think you can change it in the TT 5.6. I know when I ordered that chip I had to specifically ask to have it lock at 90 MPH

Can't speak to how it's done in the TT chips, but in the translators, it is programmable. That is to say, you can set the mph you want it to lock in cruise mode, AND you can program the mph you want it to lock at WOT, OR NOT lock at all at WOT. It's all completely programmable.

wireing

facing the trans
top wire closest to engine is power to solenoid
bottom wire closest to engine is ground
Solenoid has power to it @ all times (except when brake isapplied)
You can cut ground wire --put it on a switch and force lock up when you want.

facing the trans

Nice avatar!!! Can't tell you how much I drool over that car every time we go in there!!

facing the trans

Thank you. I'm still misunderstanding something though. Is the ecm supplying ground through this wire to make it lock? If so, when I flip the switch, won't the ecm need to supply ground still to make it lock? Or will the switch simply lock the converter EVERY time I flip it?

Again, thanks for the response. It's been tough...

ground

Thank you. I'm still misunderstanding something though. Is the ecm supplying ground through this wire to make it lock? If so, when I flip the switch, won't the ecm need to supply ground still to make it lock? Or will the switch simply lock the converter EVERY time I flip it?

Again, thanks for the response. It's been tough...

Cut both wires--supply the top wire (sticking out of trans) with 12 volts
Run the bottom wire through a switch to ground. And yes the ECM, when in stock setup, grounds the solenoid to lock convertor.

Cut both wires--supply the top wire (sticking out of trans) with 12 volts
Run the bottom wire through a switch to ground. And yes the ECM, when in stock setup, grounds the solenoid to lock convertor.

I think I understand the operation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll need a 3 position switch and only need to cut the ground wire and run it through the switch. Switch position 1 will be no lock/no ground, position 2 will be ecm controlled lock/ground, and position 3 will be forced lock/forced supplied ground.

I think I understand the operation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll need a 3 position switch and only need to cut the ground wire and run it through the switch. Switch position 1 will be no lock/no ground, position 2 will be ecm controlled lock/ground, and position 3 will be forced lock/forced supplied ground.

Last edited: