Ron Francis TC Lock up kit

kanvasman

SO I this is my first post here, but this seems to be the place to go for answers on a 200R4 trans. I am putting this trans into a 1978 corvette with a 1986 TPI engine and I am trying to determine the best way to lock up the torque convertor. Engine is mostly stock, to be used as a driver not a racer. Not really interested in a vacuum switch or toggle switch, too much to explain to anyone else driving the car. SO I came across this kit from Ron Francis TC 75 and it appears to be just what I need. Has anyone used it before and are there any pros or cons to it. My other option would be to hook the TC up to the ECU that came with this engine that also had an automatic ( but not a 200R4), if that will work. Thanks to anyone in advance for taking the time to educate me!

SO I this is my first post here, but this seems to be the place to go for answers on a 200R4 trans. I am putting this trans into a 1978 corvette with a 1986 TPI engine and I am trying to determine the best way to lock up the torque convertor. Engine is mostly stock, to be used as a driver not a racer. Not really interested in a vacuum switch or toggle switch, too much to explain to anyone else driving the car. SO I came across this kit from Ron Francis TC 75 and it appears to be just what I need. Has anyone used it before and are there any pros or cons to it. My other option would be to hook the TC up to the ECU that came with this engine that also had an automatic ( but not a 200R4), if that will work. Thanks to anyone in advance for taking the time to educate me!

Use the TPI ECU to lock it up.. .easy peezy

SO the TPI ECU was for a 700R4 ( the OEM trans in '86), and to my knowledge all it did was control the lock up. Should this just be a plug n play running from the harness on the trans to the ecu? That is what I am thinking (hoping?) thanks for the input.

SO the TPI ECU was for a 700R4 ( the OEM trans in '86), and to my knowledge all it did was control the lock up. Should this just be a plug n play running from the harness on the trans to the ecu? That is what I am thinking (hoping?) thanks for the input.

yupp .. easy peezy

Mr Turbo, if only life was that easy peezy....Can I assume you have made this type of mod? If it is that simple why aren't more people just using the computer hook up? If so would you care to share any wiring tips or issues you came across, or was it really that easy peezy!!!. If you happen to have any pics to share my real life email is jim@customcanvasofcharleston.com . Thanks.

Mr Turbo, if only life was that easy peezy....Can I assume you have made this type of mod? If it is that simple why aren't more people just using the computer hook up? If so would you care to share any wiring tips or issues you came across, or was it really that easy peezy!!!. If you happen to have any pics to share my real life email is jim@customcanvasofcharleston.com . Thanks.

On the 200r4 electrical harness ... wire up 12v hot to pin A on the weatherpack connector .. typically this is wired THROUGH a brake pedal switch ( brake pedal switch opens when brake pedal is depressed REMOVING 12 V from going to the TC solenoid , Pin B is the 4th gear switch which is NO in 4th , Pin C is 3rd gear switch also NO in 3rd gear, Pin D is the ground leg of the lockup solenoid which will come from the ECU TCC wire ( Tan / blk if I recall )

This should be all you need to get this done ... Easy Peezy

You could read over the information at Bowtie overdrives and determine if things like throttle movement match the angles needed for tranny to work proper.

I just picked up my trans from a local builder and after looking at it and your suggestions, it is pretty simple. I found a few wiring diagrams that also showed the plug, and my new wiring harness will have a TC plug attached which will go to the ecu. The car won't be running for a few more months but now I have a plan for the tranny, so I can go on to something else, like reasemble the interior. Thanks for your help and I will track you down when I have it going and let you know how it turns out.
And if you ever get to Charleston SC, give me a shout and I will buy you a beer and we can talk cars. Thanks.

I just picked up my trans from a local builder and after looking at it and your suggestions, it is pretty simple. I found a few wiring diagrams that also showed the plug, and my new wiring harness will have a TC plug attached which will go to the ecu. The car won't be running for a few more months but now I have a plan for the tranny, so I can go on to something else, like reasemble the interior. Thanks for your help and I will track you down when I have it going and let you know how it turns out.
And if you ever get to Charleston SC, give me a shout and I will buy you a beer and we can talk cars. Thanks.

Glad to help //

Jim one thing I think you may want to spend a bit of time on .. ( I don't know exactly what your working with here in a 78 vette .. but you will need to look into is
Speed out of the 200 .. that's another topic all together .. if your pretty good with fabrication and parts sourcing its also easy peezy..

Not sure I understand "speed out of the 200.. I am putting a 1986 L98 TPI engine into the car along with the 200R. Have the ecu for the engine etc. It is a MAF set up not a speed density one. So what should I be looking at in this set up? Thanks.Jim

Not sure I understand "speed out of the 200.. I am putting a 1986 L98 TPI engine into the car along with the 200R. Have the ecu for the engine etc. It is a MAF set up not a speed density one. So what should I be looking at in this set up? Thanks.Jim

What will you use to send speed to ECU?

How will you drive the speedo as well

Speedo in these cars was a 2 piece cable drive, with an adapter for the cruise control in the middle of the cables. There are a few vendors that make a vehicle speed sensor that goes right into the cables. I plan on putting mine right where the cruise transducer was. I just have to follow up, some of them have a 2000 pulse or a 4000 pulse. I honestly have no idea what that means but I will track down the appropriate one. They range between $75 - $100, SO the theaory is the speedo will work mechanically, as stock, but the cable will generate the pulse for the ecu. The custom harness I am going to get has a provision for this also. I have seen a few other types that mount somehow around the driveshaft to generate the pulse. This car originally had cruise control installed by the dealer with a similar set up, but most of that was gone by the time I got the car.

Speedo in these cars was a 2 piece cable drive, with an adapter for the cruise control in the middle of the cables. There are a few vendors that make a vehicle speed sensor that goes right into the cables. I plan on putting mine right where the cruise transducer was. I just have to follow up, some of them have a 2000 pulse or a 4000 pulse. I honestly have no idea what that means but I will track down the appropriate one. They range between $75 - $100, SO the theaory is the speedo will work mechanically, as stock, but the cable will generate the pulse for the ecu. The custom harness I am going to get has a provision for this also. I have seen a few other types that mount somehow around the driveshaft to generate the pulse. This car originally had cruise control installed by the dealer with a similar set up, but most of that was gone by the time I got the car.

You have it covered.. Eazy peezy

One last time to pick your brain. Do you run a temp gauge? If so, installed in the pan or somewhere else? I m planning my cooler set up and since heat is not my friend, I am also planning a gauge. Thanks.

One last time to pick your brain. Do you run a temp gauge? If so, installed in the pan or somewhere else? I m planning my cooler set up and since heat is not my friend, I am also planning a gauge. Thanks.

Jim ... not sure what your after here TEMP as in engine oil temp ? Trans ?

Aftermarket gauge typically come with a sender .. weld in a bung to the pan and done .. easy peezy

No, was talking about trans temp gauge. Corvette always are hot so we add extra elec fans etc. and the consensus is that our trans also run hot so it's pretty common for that vintage to have a trans temp gauge put in the dash. And since I am changing my dash around, now would be the time to put it in. I just didn't know if all the 200R4 guys had the same concerns about the temps getting high or it was just a vette thing. I actually came across a set up where you put a drain plug in the pan ( which I will do anyway) and the sending unit threads right in where the plyg goes. Time to change the oil, just unplug the wire and take it out. But I am trying not to get too far into the weeds with this, since it will only be a daily driver. Again thanks for your help on this. Jim

No, was talking about trans temp gauge. Corvette always are hot so we add extra elec fans etc. and the consensus is that our trans also run hot so it's pretty common for that vintage to have a trans temp gauge put in the dash. And since I am changing my dash around, now would be the time to put it in. I just didn't know if all the 200R4 guys had the same concerns about the temps getting high or it was just a vette thing. I actually came across a set up where you put a drain plug in the pan ( which I will do anyway) and the sending unit threads right in where the plyg goes. Time to change the oil, just unplug the wire and take it out. But I am trying not to get too far into the weeds with this, since it will only be a daily driver. Again thanks for your help on this. Jim

Ahh ok .. gotcha... sorry not up on the late 70's Vettes ... no specific concerns with the 200 and heat .. but just like any auto trans .. trans cooler is high on the priority list.
IF you have room for a fan / cooler .. your that much ahead of the game .. I imagine the Vette doesn't have a lot of airflow so cooling is an issue
yea just put it in the pan and call it good .. sounds like you have it covered.

Now you got me thinking a bit here ... 78 Vette pace car with a Turbo V6 in it :) that would be a sleeper :)