Torque converter innards - diodes and sprags

ijames

What does a sprag do in a torque converter, what is a diode, and how can it take the place of a sprag? I thought a sprag was something that had spring-loaded teeth on the outside and spun inside a housing with splines and when it tries to spin backwards the teeth would catch and make the housing spin, but I didn't know that there was anything like that in a converter. Just trying to learn here, so thanks for any info.

What does a sprag do in a torque converter, what is a diode, and how can it take the place of a sprag? I thought a sprag was something that had spring-loaded teeth on the outside and spun inside a housing with splines and when it tries to spin backwards the teeth would catch and make the housing spin, but I didn't know that there was anything like that in a converter. Just trying to learn here, so thanks for any info.

Epilogics Mechanical Diode Website Homepage

The sprag is used to hold the stator while the converter is multiplying torque. Once you have exceeded the point/RPM at which torque multiplication stops, the stator sprag unlocks and the stator freewheels.

A mechanical diode is another type of one-way clutch.

Bob