Torque converter efficiency - am I getting this right?

DorianL

Hi All,

I am running a 200-4R with goodies from PTS and CK.

The converter is a TCI Street Fighter 3000.

My power plant has roughly 520HP at 5500 and 600TQ at 3500

I have 28-inch tires and 3.42 gears.

Near the end of the track in third at 5000+ rpm, I am just a little over 100 MPH. This is a significant slip, right? 20 - 30% slip, right?

The RPM drop between shifts seems a little over 1000 RPM.

When cruising at 70-some MPH and locking up, my RPM drops from 2500 to 2000.

The converter clutch shudders very easily if I give it some gas.

However,
My main beef is the shifting. I think the trans (independently of the torque converter) is shifting quickly and firmly (I can sorta feel it) but the more I get on the throttle and the more RPM the shifts do not get any harder.

With my old converter, a 2200 bowtieoverdrives HD unit, it used to chirp the tires at low throttle. I never could get hard higher throttle shift because I had problems with the VB at the time.

My pressures are now perfect but not harsh shifts on throttle.

Do all these symptoms sound like a slipping or mismatched converter?

Ideally my pref is a positive shift at low throttle, tire-chirps at mid and tire shred at WOT. I used to get this with my 350.

THANKS!

D.

My 2004r br was like that .I had my buddy put in the hard pump rings and high rev spring,now the higher the rev the stronger the shift it use to lose it after i steped on it,but that kit fixed it.

With that converter the shift quality at part throttle or less will be softer. It is not a highly efficient converter. There are much better units out there. Check out my posts on PTC converters with billet stators

You must be over revving a lot if your getting a 1000 rpm drop with the converter unlocked. Im at approx 5400 in the mid 120's with my converter. Its a NL converter. 28 inch tire, 3.42 rear gear