Top end overhaul?

TurboTurtle

I bought a 1987 Buick T off a close friend in the beginning of summer. Car has 88k miles and only mods that were done; hooker catback, adjustable wastegate, turbo tweak chip and guages. These were all done by the original owner.

Since ive owned the car ive been going through the "spring cleaning." Ive added a CAI, 42lbs injectors with matched tt chip and also adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I bought a rjc boost controller and have it set at around 18. Scanmaster is a great tool and I dont get much knock until the top rpms. I recently just put a tstat and new radiator in with lines. I also have a fuel pump and 3in dp and ported exhaust ellbow to go on. My goals for the car are to keep it mild.

I just want a street car to cruise and take to the track a few times a year. Id like to run low 12s on 18# and have the ability to crank it up to run into the 11s. My thought is over the winter to rebuild the top end. Get a set of Champion iron ported heads and a mild cam. Run a te-44 and alky. I know for my goals Im probably overkill. But id like to do the head gaskets as preventive maintenance. I also know my valve springs should be replaced and headers checked for cracks. Here are my questions

1. Am I wasting my time one an 88k bottom end?

2. What cam should I look at? 206/206?

3. All and any advice is welcome. I plan on doing most of the work myself. My bestfriend owns a shop and has experience with this car and his personal GN. But I would like to know what Im getting myself into and if my plan is pure nonsense. Thanks

I bought a 1987 Buick T off a close friend in the beginning of summer. Car has 88k miles and only mods that were done; hooker catback, adjustable wastegate, turbo tweak chip and guages. These were all done by the original owner.

Since ive owned the car ive been going through the "spring cleaning." Ive added a CAI, 42lbs injectors with matched tt chip and also adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I bought a rjc boost controller and have it set at around 18. Scanmaster is a great tool and I dont get much knock until the top rpms. I recently just put a tstat and new radiator in with lines. I also have a fuel pump and 3in dp and ported exhaust ellbow to go on. My goals for the car are to keep it mild.

I just want a street car to cruise and take to the track a few times a year. Id like to run low 12s on 18# and have the ability to crank it up to run into the 11s. My thought is over the winter to rebuild the top end. Get a set of Champion iron ported heads and a mild cam. Run a te-44 and alky. I know for my goals Im probably overkill. But id like to do the head gaskets as preventive maintenance. I also know my valve springs should be replaced and headers checked for cracks. Here are my questions

1. Am I wasting my time one an 88k bottom end?

2. What cam should I look at? 206/206?

3. All and any advice is welcome. I plan on doing most of the work myself. My bestfriend owns a shop and has experience with this car and his personal GN. But I would like to know what Im getting myself into and if my plan is pure nonsense. Thanks

I would do the bottom end 1st then the the top end, if you want to get in the 11's. Taking changes other wise. 206/206 can get you to low 11's or high 10's if you have the the rest to go with it.

I have close to the type of setup your talking about I would be real surprised if you'll get a low 12 @ 18 pounds of boost

1)With 88K you've got another 100K+ of beating the hell out of that engine (after doing all the preventative maintenance)

2) I wouldn't touch the cam with a 10 foot pole unless you have to. Stock cams have run 10's and kissed 9's)

3) Yes, that plan is pure nonsense. If you have a SBC then a cam/intake/blah blah blah, is step one. With these cars, you get them running correctly you can mop the floor with whomever you come across. THEN you can start making it faster and make them wish they weren't born.

I could be wrong though. It's got to happen one of these days.

1)With 88K you've got another 100K+ of beating the hell out of that engine (after doing all the preventative maintenance)

2) I wouldn't touch the cam with a 10 foot pole unless you have to. Stock cams have run 10's and kissed 9's)

3) Yes, that plan is pure nonsense. If you have a SBC then a cam/intake/blah blah blah, is step one. With these cars, you get them running correctly you can mop the floor with whomever you come across. THEN you can start making it faster and make them wish they weren't born.

Then whats your advice. Do valve springs, timing chain, water pump. Go from there? Or is it worth doing heads with a stock cam. I agree I think my bottom has quite a few street miles left in her. But ive been wrong many times

I could be wrong though. It's got to happen one of these days.

Not being a smart as here, so far my experience with my t over the last 5 years I've upgraded cams twice turbos twice transmission once bigger injectors 3" down pipe If I had to do it all over again I would contact bison on the board here have him set you up with cam turbo combo maybe Suggest a converter tell you what needs to be done so your transmission will live at the horse power your wanting to handle and you'll need a good fuel pump and tires I can tell you I've wasted a lot of money doing stuff twice and the hard way and not listening to board members with more experience it takes the right combo to make everything work correctly and run consistently and be dependable with my combo it takes 27-28 pounds of boost on 100 race gas leavening at 7 lbs at 2600 rpm and a 1.8 60 foot time but all cars are different

Not being a smart as here, so far my experience with my t over the last 5 years I've upgraded cams twice turbos twice transmission once bigger injectors 3" down pipe If I had to do it all over again I would contact bison on the board here have him set you up with cam turbo combo maybe Suggest a converter tell you what needs to be done so your transmission will live at the horse power your wanting to handle and you'll need a good fuel pump and tires I can tell you I've wasted a lot of money doing stuff twice and the hard way and not listening to board members with more experience it takes the right combo to make everything work correctly and run consistently and be dependable with my combo it takes 27-28 pounds of boost on 100 race gas leavening at 7 lbs at 2600 rpm and a 1.8 60 foot time but all cars are different

Thats why im asking. If most agree not to waste my time without doing the bottom end. Ill drive the car as is till the motor goes. I dont want to throw money at problems and hope it goes away. I know my fuel pump and valves are weak spots.

Then whats your advice. Do valve springs, timing chain, water pump. Go from there? Or is it worth doing heads with a stock cam. I agree I think my bottom has quite a few street miles left in her. But ive been wrong many times

Valve springs, stock replacement timing chain, fuel pump (with hanger mods), hotwire, 60's with chip, bonus points for translator and modern MAF, get rid of TB heater lines and VC oil injector to the turbo bell, weld up DS header crack, plugs, wires, ect....

Yes, I realize these aren't 'performance mods' but that will get your car hauling ass.

Don't touch the head gaskets unless needed. You can do valve springs with the heads on the car. Get a bigger turbo with a matched torque converter and Alky.
You'll need to build the transmission before you tear into the motor
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Valve springs, stock replacement timing chain, fuel pump (with hanger mods), hotwire, 60's with chip, bonus points for translator and modern MAF, get rid of TB heater lines and VC oil injector to the turbo bell, weld up DS header crack, plugs, wires, ect....

Yes, I realize these aren't 'performance mods' but that will get your car hauling ass.
This what im looking for. So thanks for the advice. Im only asking because I feel that I have to take it apart why not go the little extra. If its a waste then I want to know. Head gaskets to me are preventive maintenance on a 26 year old car prone to leaks.

with over 185K miles on my old motor the stock HG were holding 34# of boost and the car ran a best of 12.10 on a terrible tune(lack of).

I do agree on doing things once. i made the mistake and listened to the "baby steps" guys and wasted a lot of money buying the same shit over again.

Well as it sounds now. Im going to do timing chain, water pump and springs. I have a rebuilt stock turbo ill put on and get alky injection. Then go from there

Well as it sounds now. Im going to do timing chain, water pump and springs. I have a rebuilt stock turbo ill put on and get alky injection. Then go from there

Let me start with i don't know shit
i used an elcheapO Edelbrock double roller chain, comp 980 or were they 981 valve springs, Alkycontrol with M1,

You have me confused. I dont know shit which is why im asking questions

So that makes two of us LOL
Thats the correct thing to do. lots of smart guys here that know what they are doing i am just not one of them.
i am simply letting you know what i did to my car that sortta worked with my big issue being in the tune.

If you want something to last , then build something that will run 10's then drive it in the 12's then someone 20 years from now will have something to brag about

Thats why im asking. If most agree not to waste my time without doing the bottom end. Ill drive the car as is till the motor goes. I dont want to throw money at problems and hope it goes away. I know my fuel pump and valves are weak spots.
I've been saing I'll drive it like it is until the motor dies for the past 26 years and almost 200k.