Top 100 Guitarists according to Rolling Stone

Originally posted by Robes87GN
Yeah, Wylde and Satriani definitely. I was at a loss for words when I didnt see Mike Mushok of Staind. He is the best now and definitely should be on the top 50 of that list. Hendrix may not be the best, but hes definitely the most famous.

In the latest issue of Guitar Player, Zak Wylde says that Allan Holdsworth is probably his all time favorite guitarist. You should check Allan out. The dude is incredible.:cool:

That BS, complete BS that Slash from Guns N' Roses didn't even make the top 100! He belongs in the top 10. Boycot Rolling Stone. :mad:

I know I'll get flamed for suggesting this, but I think Lindsey Buckingham is quite the player as well. Flame away.

Originally posted by tracy
I know I'll get flamed for suggesting this, but I think Lindsey Buckingham is quite the player as well. Flame away.

OK Tracy.....you're busting my chops about Hendrix, and you bring up the former lead guitar player for Fleetwood Mac!!

:D :D

No comment!!

Originally posted by Captain Mark
OK Tracy.....you're busting my chops about Hendrix, and you bring up the former lead guitar player for Fleetwood Mac!!

:D :D

No comment!!

My uncanny knack for speaking my mind is probably why I am "stuck a lieutenant for life":(

Top 100

Hey Evans, good pick on Terry Kath, just heard 25 or 6 to 4 the other day on the radio. Great solo, Kath's lines were pretty harmonically advanced for the time. On the forefront of bringing jazzy lines into, and from a rock persective...very hip stuff!

Just think of what Jimi would be able to do today with all the gizmos and electronics that are available. Back in the 60's, he used a wah-wah and fuzztone, feedback, and an unheard of thing to create sound- the recording studio. With engineer Eddie Kramer, they used tape loops, phase shifting, and other tricks of the studio to create music.

Look at video of guitarists of that era. They held the guitar high on their chests. What was playing on the radio at the time? Frank & Nancy Sinatra, The Association, Franki Vali. Along comes Hendrix. Watch how he holds it, moves it, bangs it, plays it. It became an extension of (how should I say it), his manhood.

There's three eras of guitarists: pre Hendrix, Hendix, post Hendrix.
Nobody has yet to come close in redifining the sound, feeling or posture of the electric guitar since.

Let the flaming begin.............. :)

Mark

Originally posted by MG8T7GN
Just think of what Jimi would be able to do today with all the gizmos and electronics that are available. Back in the 60's, he used a wah-wah and fuzztone, feedback, and an unheard of thing to create sound- the recording studio. With engineer Eddie Kramer, they used tape loops, phase shifting, and other tricks of the studio to create music.

Look at video of guitarists of that era. They held the guitar high on their chests. What was playing on the radio at the time? Frank & Nancy Sinatra, The Association, Franki Vali. Along comes Hendrix. Watch how he holds it, moves it, bangs it, plays it. It became an extension of (how should I say it), his manhood.

There's three eras of guitarists: pre Hendrix, Hendix, post Hendrix.
Nobody has yet to come close in redifining the sound, feeling or posture of the electric guitar since.

Let the flaming begin.............. :)

Mark

Thank you!.....I guess great minds think alike!:D

Originally posted by Sleeper
Pat Metheny, Phil Manzanera, Larry Coryell, :)

Paul

Wow, you must be an old guy like me to remember thjose names! I went and bought a Hagstrom Swede guitar back in 1975 because that is what Laryy Coryell was playing at the time. I was amazed that it didn't make me play like him.:D

Eddie Van Halen #70? That just makes this whole like void. He easily should have been in the top 10.

You've got to be kidding me, George Thorogood doesn't make that list??

I agree with the others in this thread, Slash belongs on there too.

Several of the guys on that list I never even heard of.

Originally posted by Captain Mark
Wow, you must be an old guy like me to remember thjose names! I went and bought a Hagstrom Swede guitar back in 1975 because that is what Laryy Coryell was playing at the time. I was amazed that it didn't make me play like him.:D

LOL :) Yeah, I've got a few years behind me as well. I couldn't understand why the magic didn't come with the guitar either. I remember listening to Jaco Pastorius and trading my imitation Strat for a imitation Precision bass... Magic didn't come with that either :( Now maybe if I had bought the real thing....
And really taking the train off the rails here, couldn't get enough of Jan Hammer, Chick Corea. Loved Savoy Brown, Todd Rungren's Utopia, Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, and how I loved the sound of a Hammond B3 and Leslie. I digress... ;)
Funny, Classical guitarist Liona Boyd put out a album with a bunch of guests, such as Eric Clapton, David Gilmore, etc, quite interesting.

Paul

Wow, some more names from the past.

I caught Chick Corea and Return To Forever at the SMU campus back in 1977. It was just a 4 piece.

Chick on keyboards
Stan the Man Clarke on bass
Al DiMeaola on lead guitar
and some badass drumer....I think his last name was White.

Al DiMeola blew me away...so did Stanley....so did Chick!!:D

Lenny White.
That must have been fabulous.
I remember seeing Frank Zappa with Flo and Eddie, way back when. Man, Frank was brilliant.
Mark, we are very lucky to have been old enough to experience this fertile time in music history. Hopefully this current "mass produced, money driven" phase of music will wear itself out and the true art form will re-emerge. And before I start getting flamed from others... I am not saying all current music sucks. It's just that currently, more emphasis seems to be put on the "hype" vs the actual music itself. Music that is created from an expression of ones inner self, for pure pleasure, seems to resonate easier in ones ears, than something that is just driven by the thought of how much money it will make. It is like how someone can technically play a piece of music perfectly and it will sound ok, but add the magic of passion and the music comes alive.
Sorry for the rant ;)

Paul

Originally posted by Sleeper
It is like how someone can technically play a piece of music perfectly and it will sound ok, but add the magic of passion and the music comes alive.
Sorry for the rant ;)

Paul

That is what it is all about. I couldn't agree more. That is one of the things I have always loved about Carlos Santana. Here in Dallas I can find 20 players within 5 miles of here that are as good, or better than he...technically. But know one feels it as much as he. That's what I pay money to see.:cool: