Tools / gear for a fly in, drive home purchase

booyah11

I'm planning on a fly in / drive home purchase here in the next couple of weeks. I'm new to the turbo buick world but pretty comfortable with FI cars and wrenching in general.

I'll be driving from the great lakes area to CO, I plan on driving like a granny to keep it out of boost and mitigate any potential mishaps on the way back. All signs point to a car in good working order but goal number one it to make it home.

Bear in mind this is a fly/drive so I'll be limited in how much stuff I can bring with me:
  1. What are some common wrench sizes and other tools that I should have handy??
  2. What about parts or spares??
  3. Is there any prep work I should perform before getting on the road??
    1. Not sure when the last "spring" cleaning was performed, hope to avoid all that work until I get home but willing to do if recommended
    2. Any easy button fuel or oil additives?? ZDDPlus seems like a common one.
  4. How do these cars do in the snow??
    1. Recommended winter tires??
    2. Heater, defrost and wipers will likely get a lot of work. Anything special here??
Any other items to consider?? Thanks folks.

-Tyler

Forgot something. I don't mind heroic driving, 10hrs on the road is fine with me but will it be fine for the car??
Any concerns with extended use?? Thanks again.

Probably not what you want to hear... But, you might consider having the vehicle transported.

I 've done it. Last truck i bought i drove 26hrs home. Dont think i would do it with a TB. I would take a trailer and drive both directions.

If you do fly, take as much as you can. I was limited to 50lbs without paying a bunch extra. Take a multimeter. Take jumper wires. TSA WILL search your luggage. A suitcase full of tools and a scanner looks like a bomb on Xray. They unwrapped my otc scanner and just threw it back in the suitcase. Screen got cracked because of it. I wasnt happy

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I just completed a 2500 mile trip in my 200k mile 87 GN. Cel light came on 500 miles from home. Code 41. Pulled off hwy and installed spare ignition module/coil pack. No other issues. One rule I made was to not be driving to a hotel after sundown (5:30 pm). Breakdowns are easier in the day light. Shipping the car is not a bad idea, especially if you expect snow. Our cars don't do well in snow. I carried a trunk full of spare sensors and tools. You would need both metric and sae sockets and wrenches.

snow is ok, so long as its not in the middle of a storm. They keep the main roads pretty clear. The issue is the salt. If the car has never seen salt, then you are better off avoiding it.

Can the trip wait until spring?

On the car details, has it been driven much lately? If not, then how long has it been parked? You might consider visiting a local board member/guru for a day before setting out on the long drive.

Or just have it shipped.

Bob

Transport it. These cars are terrible in the rain, much less the snow. Today we have about 2" and it's pandemonium out there.... There is absolutely NO WAY I would risk that drive.
Besides, all it takes is one slip from you or another driver and your new toy could be destroyed...

I would go an see the car in person and maybe even help load it on a transport, but I'd definitely recommend hiring and enclosed transport with good insurance.

Even if there were no huge amounts of snow, the last thing you want is to be stuck on the side of the road in freezing temps, getting salt all over the car and trying to figure out why the car is acting up. (trust me, they all do).

Enclosed transportation will cost roughly $1 per mile. Weigh that to the hassle of driving. Aside from snow, the ride should be OK thru the interstates. But driving thru Nebraska and Iowa is an experience, especially if there's wind.

If you do drive, and heading thru CO, stop at Caspers in Loveland. Right off of Hwy. 25 south of Ft. Collins.

We'll take a look at your new ride and maybe give you some advice on the car.

For a new Turbo Buick owner without any experience with driving one. I would do like suggested already and either wait until Spring or have it transported. You do not want to have problems with the car and be left on the side of the road in freezing temps. And for your safety have to leave the car there and come back to get it, it may not be there when you come back. These cars get stolen often out of driveways and in front of homes on the street,so you can imagine if one is left on the side of the road for any amount of time no matter how short. Not worth taking a chance with your new to you car before getting to enjoy it.

As for driving in the snow, i have never had a problem because it depends on the experience of the driver and how well they can drive. I've never had snow tires on my Turbo Regal and it's never been a problem. But in the past 15 years i never take it out when the weather gets bad in the winter.:)

"Without experience driving one". The guys 37 years old. Im sure he can figure out he's not in car that cuts corners just by the shape of it. Personally though, if shipping isnt on the cards for you...i would check the forecast, get it checked out-then strap it up and drive it. I dont see it any worse than daily driving/stop and go traffic. I DO agree with the thiefs though...i cant leave mine alone in a parking lot without a crowd. If my cars there, im nearby. Good luck and get her home.

I think it is a risk/reward situation.

I am speculating you want to fly in to inspect the car so you don't buy 'sight unseen' which is good. But what really are you gonna be checking for that you haven't seen in pictures? Probably noises, knocks, and drips. Hypothetically, if you see something you don't like, are you prepared to walk away and pay 'short notice' price for a flight back and a night in a hotel? If you do break down on way back, what will be cost of towing, cost of Mechanic (assuming the repair cannot be done by yourself), the hotel costs for waiting to get a part you need (In case you break down in a town that doesn't have parts for an 80's car in stock). Plus gas, mileage, and wear and tear. I mean a blown tire could be an additional $300 if it cant be repaired. To me that is a lot of risk $$$ wise. I am guessing this is a cost saving maneuver so $$$ is a factor. I have dreams of taking my GN on a Route 66 tour but those are always set in the springtime hehe. I dunno of anyone who thinks of doing a winter cross country tour. Come to think of it does the current owner use antifreeze or just distilled water? That could ruin your day if you stop overnight someplace.

Searching on this site you will find folks that have had success and failure on trips. Most problems come upon you without warning. Not knowing the history of the car adds to the risk. Knowing what is a normal noise vs one that indicates a problem comes with time or a trained ear. All of our cars run great until the day they don't, nobody plans a breakdown, and Tools may not help without parts. You might be able to get the car to limp home, but if home is 700 miles away it may be to much to ask. AAA is gonna be the most valuable thing you can have on your journey.

If you have a feeling of trust with the seller, I would make a deal contingent on inspection, then get someone from the board to check out the car for you or with you. Odds are they already have a car they love and aren't gonna snipe you and buy the car you want. If the seller was worthy of your trust, he wouldn't do that anyway. (and if he didn't honor his word on the deal, could you believe his word on the condition of the car?)If the inspection comes back okay, I would have the car transported using the best method you can afford. Obviously covered is preferred, but if you are willing to drive it all that way, I am guessing you aren't concerned about salt or rock chips so even uncovered would be fine.

In my opinion, at the end of the day, the car is either gonna be either as awesome as you are lead to believe it is, meaning it would survive the drive, or it will be a time bomb. (Though I think many of us say these are time bombs and it is just a matter of what the clock is set to hehe). Your only chance to find our before you spend your money is to have someone who fixes these look at the car, but even then it is no guarantee.

But even if this car turns out to be a lemon, I think it is better that you find out at your house in CO rather than somewhere along the way.

I think the most solid advice is a round trip ticket, inspection with a board member, and enclosed shipping. I hope you take this next sentence with an air of helpfulness (cause that is how i intend it). If $$$ is the reason you cannot take that advice, please consider if you have $$$ to save yourself from the side of the road. A tow from Iowa is gonna be much more expensive than uncovered shipping, and you don't have to freeze to take advantage of it.

Good Luck and Safe journey. I hope your start to your ownership is a happy one!

I use to work with a guy that would constantly say.... Don’t be a pu$$y!! If you want the experience of driving the car and trust and truly believe the car is 100% road worthy, make the drive.

I purchased a Syclone in February of 2007, flew to Miami, FL and made the 1000+ mile trip back to Ohio. The truck was low miles and exactly as the seller said it would be. The only issue with the truck was the heater core was bypassed since he lived in FL. Plus it leaked. The gentleman I bought the truck from was upfront and honest about the situation. The trip went great, being AWD I wasn’t worried about the snow. The last four hours of the trip absolutely sucked, as the temperature was 7 degrees when I finally got home. And yes it snowed! Here is the thing.... The successful trip made me believe in the dependability of that truck. I wasn’t afraid to drive it anywhere. Looking back I should have probably towed it my self or hired a transporter but 90% of the trip was a blast!! Got a lot of thumbs up on my journey.

I've owned a TB for 15 years and been around them longer than that. I actually drove my WH1 to collage and was in the snow multiple times. The car went fine in several inches and will go especially well if you add some weight to the trunk. For example, rock salt for your water softener. Cheap and heavy. Works every time. The only bad thing will be the time it would take you to make the trip if it snows. Really you just have to weigh your options, do what’s right for you and your situation. It will work out in the end. Have a safe trip and I hope the car does well for you.

Sounds like this car is in the great lakes area. Where at? Either myself or other board members may know the car and take a look at it for you.

I use to work with a guy that would constantly say.... Don’t be a pu$$y!! If you want the experience of driving the car and trust and truly believe the car is 100% road worthy, make the drive.

I purchased a Syclone in February of 2007, flew to Miami, FL and made the 1000+ mile trip back to Ohio. The truck was low miles and exactly as the seller said it would be. The only issue with the truck was the heater core was bypassed since he lived in FL. Plus it leaked. The gentleman I bought the truck from was upfront and honest about the situation. The trip went great, being AWD I wasn’t worried about the snow. The last four hours of the trip absolutely sucked, as the temperature was 7 degrees when I finally got home. And yes it snowed! Here is the thing.... The successful trip made me believe in the dependability of that truck. I wasn’t afraid to drive it anywhere. Looking back I should have probably towed it my self or hired a transporter but 90% of the trip was a blast!! Got a lot of thumbs up on my journey.

I've owned a TB for 15 years and been around them longer than that. I actually drove my WH1 to collage and was in the snow multiple times. The car went fine in several inches and will go especially well if you add some weight to the trunk. For example, rock salt for your water softener. Cheap and heavy. Works every time. The only bad thing will be the time it would take you to make the trip if it snows. Really you just have to weigh your options, do what’s right for you and your situation. It will work out in the end. Have a safe trip and I hope the car does well for you.

Sounds like this car is in the great lakes area. Where at? Either myself or other board members may know the car and take a look at it for you.
THIS^^^^

I'll be honest, 75% of the desire is for the adventure of driving a car back. I haven't done anything stupid in a while and this seemed like a good opportunity to scratch the foolish itch and also get a cool car. Agree with the prevailing sentiment that shipping the car is the safer and likely more economical decision. But after all, I'm buying a quirky 30 year old FI muscle car...not sure safe and economical apply. ;)

The one I'm looking at is definitely a driver, so not concerned about salt, chips and wear. Also not looking to flip it so having an opportunity to spend a couple days with the car is appealing. I appreciate the reality check that in all likelihood this will not be a rainbows and unicorns prance through a field of flowers.

Thanks for the help guys, this site has proven to be wealth of knowledge. The car I'm looking to buy is in Detroit and I have family in Cleveland to visit while in the area. The purchase will happen between 02/02 and 02/05, if anyone in the area is willing to help out a first time buyer I'd love to have a network of people that I can call up. One such gent has already offered and I do appreciate the generosity.

-Tyler

I say do it. Take plenty of pix. Take along a wrenching buddy for some added excitement.

I can't think of a better way to have fun. Especially if you have the coin to do it. My brother flew in to Milwaukee and took possession of my grandparents 71 Ford van. He drove it back to Midland Texas after swapping in a new water pump. Somewhere in Kansas he did make use of the aaa cars to have it towed to a radiator shop to have the radiator fixed. But I know he would do it again. He wont how ever go with my dad to Ca to pick up a boat ever again. That story is a great one too.

Or the time they went to Utah to pick up a deuce and a half. All great times.

Do It! Then power tour and drag week will seem easy.

Go for it and drive it home!

I bought my '87 GN in 2010 from a guy out of north Pennsylvania. Had it flat-bedded 125 miles to a reputable GN guy (RIP Jay Frick) to have it checked out prior to sale at my expense. Once it checked out I made the deal from my home in the Phoenix area. Flew to Pittsburg with my brother-in-law and then we picked up the car and drove the car straight through back to Phoenix in around 30 hours. We did this because I did not want to do a hotel as I would be worried about it while we slept. If you can do it in one stretch alone do it, if not bring a friend. If you go alone then staying in Cleveland with family would be okay if the car could be kept secure.

Have the car checked out/ gone over by a good GN knowledgeable person and anything you want to have with you (parts, tools, etc.) just put it in a box and have it shipped to either the person checking out the car for you, or the seller. This way you don't have to worry about bringing it on the plane (you don't want to hassle with them not allowing it on board).

Get the manual that you can get on CD from one of the vendors (bring a laptop) and a list of contacts for people along the way if you need help. Also, a AAA membership is a must and cheap insurance. (Even better, does the car have a Scanmaster/ Powerlogger..?)

Mine was a great trip, regardless what happens though those kinds of trips are great memories/ risks that you will regret not taking.

Best of luck either way, and congrats on the purchase of the car!

Last edited:
If you do drive it, get ready for all the stares you are going to get from other drivers. 90% of the time when I stop to fill up or for any other reason, some one wants to talk to me about my car. Inevitably they will tell me about a car they used to own. Then they start talking about that car rather than mine. Also, it's amazing how many people think the GN is faster than my T. I can't tell you how many times they think it's a Monte Carlo or 442. I try to be nice and educate them as much as I can. Just another "perk" about owning these cars. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

I drove home my first Buick GN this year from Florida to DC, flew into Tampa and drove it home.
69,000 original miles 2 owner with only an intake. Hands down best ride of my life!
A life long dream, a smile on my face some butterflies in my stomach. From the project building windows to my Garage. life's short go big or go home. Not one hiccup the entire way up 900 miles.

The Kid

Go for it and drive it home!

I bought my '87 GN in 2010 from a guy out of north Pennsylvania. Had it flat-bedded 125 miles to a reputable GN guy (RIP Jay Frick) to have it checked out prior to sale at my expense. Once it checked out I made the deal from my home in the Phoenix area. Flew to Pittsburg with my brother-in-law and then we picked up the car and drove the car straight through back to Phoenix in around 30 hours. We did this because I did not want to do a hotel as I would be worried about it while we slept. If you can do it in one stretch alone do it, if not bring a friend. If you go alone then staying in Cleveland with family would be okay if the car could be kept secure.

Have the car checked out/ gone over by a good GN knowledgeable person and anything you want to have with you (parts, tools, etc.) just put it in a box and have it shipped to either the person checking out the car for you, or the seller. This way you don't have to worry about bringing it on the plane (you don't want to hassle with them not allowing it on board).

Get the manual that you can get on CD from one of the vendors (bring a laptop) and a list of contacts for people along the way if you need help. Also, a AAA membership is a must and cheap insurance. (Even better, does the car have a Scanmaster/ Powerlogger..?)

Mine was a great trip, regardless what happens though those kinds of trips are great memories/ risks that you will regret not taking.

Best of luck either way, and congrats on the purchase of the car!
I drove my GN in Michigan 1 yr ìn snow all conditions just watch your foot on gas petal . Good luck whatever u decide