Too much blue smoke on startup.

Matt

When I first start the car after it has sat for a few days, there is a very faint emission of blue smoke that lasts for about 30 seconds. After the car has warmed up and is shut down then restarted, there's a much more pronounced puff of blue smoke that comes out all at once. It's an appreciable amount of smoke. I'm able to let a puff go by, but it's gotten worse and to the point where I feel I need to do something about it.

I can not tell if it smokes under boost and I also get some oil in the driver side breather.

Here is what I've checked or replaced in hopes to alleviate the smoking problem:

Valve seals.
ACDelco PCV.
Cold compression test. One cylinder at 147 and the rest at 155/160.
Intake tract for oil residue. None there.
Turbo shaft. It's tight.

If the seals were bad in the turbo, would the shaft still be tight? I think this is true, but I'm not exactly sure. The turbo is the last thing I can think of to open up.

:confused:

Did you just put intake valve seals on???? Stock heads only come with intake valve seals unless your valve guides were cut down to accept seals on the exhaust..My buddy's T-type was rebuilt and the machine shop didn't cut the valve guides to install seals on the exhaust valves and it smokes just like your saying.... It could be worn valve guides too....How many miles on this motor?????

Have you pulled the intercooler hose off of the turbo and inspected that for oil residue?????

Just my $.02

Originally posted by boostin6
Did you just put intake valve seals on???? Stock heads only come with intake valve seals unless your valve guides were cut down to accept seals on the exhaust..My buddy's T-type was rebuilt and the machine shop didn't cut the valve guides to install seals on the exhaust valves and it smokes just like your saying.... It could be worn valve guides too....How many miles on this motor?????

Have you pulled the intercooler hose off of the turbo and inspected that for oil residue?????

Just my $.02

Yes, intake only. My heads were not machined to accept exhaust valve seals.

I have looked for oil residue.

There are approximately 15,000 miles on this engine.

Kinda sounds to me that it could be bad valve guides, or rings possibly??? More than likely it is probably guides....

On my Buick when I started it in the mornin and when it was hot it would puff blue smoke like your car.... My car would only smoke at those times, but at idle after it was runnin a few mins. and WOT nothing.... I pulled my heads off and had new valve guides installed plus they cut the guides on the exhaust to accept seals..... Problem solved....

Im not saying that this is your problem, but I tend to think it has something to do with it....

Just look at it this way the motors getting a little upper cylinder lubrication.........:D

Originally posted by boostin6
Kinda sounds to me that it could be bad valve guides, or rings possibly??? More than likely it is probably guides....

On my Buick when I started it in the mornin and when it was hot it would puff blue smoke like your car.... My car would only smoke at those times, but at idle after it was runnin a few mins. and WOT nothing.... I pulled my heads off and had new valve guides installed plus they cut the guides on the exhaust to accept seals..... Problem solved....

Im not saying that this is your problem, but I tend to think it has something to do with it....

Just look at it this way the motors getting a little upper cylinder lubrication.........:D

Alright. I'm going to swap a known good turbo and see if anything changes.

thanks