Tony Stewart, your thoughts?

According to a driver in the race who was a couple sprint cars behind tony, there was no way he could of avoided mr ward as close as he got to tony's car at the last possible moment. The sprint cars just don't react like a street car, f1 car or a stock car. They're a totally different animal and it's terrible someone lost their life because of mistakes outside of a car that were made.

However had it been another driver involved in the accident that wasn't in an upper tier of racing and was another regular racer in the sprint series they had competed in, they'd not be giving it as much attention as they had in the media outlets.
Tony hired a lawyer as standard precedure in the event the new york district attorney or the family decides they want to persue any charges and has council who understands the laws alot better than tony does. I don't see how they can even try to based on witnesses in the race who were behind tony's car saying he couldn't avoid ward, attempt to go after him for criminal charges.

I only hope when it's all said and done, that there are rules changes in every level of racing that forbid exitting of the vehicle unless it's on fire or safety crews have come to those involved in wrecks of any sort and be fines for violations of such. It's too bad a young racer lost their life, but if something positive to make it safer for all levels of racing comes out it that then it may be a good way to reduce any future incidents of this type from happening again of issuing fines for early exitting of a vehicle while on the racing portion of the track.
It's also sad someone is being condemned by alot of the public based off one video circulating that doesn't have a good angle view of what happened and that the not so well informed media reporting on something that was a very unfortunate incident, but could of been prevented had cooler heads been used before exitting the sprint car while cars are nearby going 30+ mph and jumping near a moving car that led to an ultimate price of that persons life. Tony isn't an angel, but i don't see anyone trying to take another racers life out on the track at any level.
It's one thing to want to punch another racer, but doubt anyone would go out of their way to hit someone with their car who wasn't in a car and was on foot.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Maybe a bit south of topic but, this makes me think about how pedestrians just walk out in the street with their phone in the ear, oblivious to oncoming traffic...You never know who is behind a wheel, why just trust that you can walk out in the road just because it's painted with yellow/white stripes?... I never expect or assume that a driver will yield to me at a crosswalk. I've seen people on crutches get hit trying to cross a pedestrian walk way with signs and flashing lights...it's a bad thing for sure, but I don't trust anyone to watch out for me or anyone. I suppose if I were in the same situation in a race with Tony S. and I had the same thing happen to me I would then harshly place the top of my helmet into his upper gum line...forcefully.

I am with coach on driving one of these cars. I drove one 25 years ago in the pits in Kankakee IL. I cant believe I didn't hit anything. I cant even imagine going around the track 70-100 mph.Although my buddy said at speed its not as bad. I wasn't going to try it .It just sucks that the kid passed away.

Since the camera was moving, it was hard to see what was going on with TS's car but you guys can go to you tube and watch in car camera action of these cars and also watch them running around in the pits.

I have never driven one of these cars - never even worked on one, but it sure looks like they dart right and left when not under lots of throttle when the wheel is turned. It appears they have fine low speed maneuverability based on the video I noticed.

I am not saying it is easy or that they are the same as other cars with regard to steering, just that there is lots of video of these cars steering right and left and the car following the front wheel just like anybody would expect.

I know about counter steering - fishtails are fun and a good enough reason to always have a RWD car but that type of steering is not at work at the slower speeds like the speeds during the incident.

Other drivers were low and saw the driver on the track, I believe it is possible that TS did indeed still have some adrenaline pumping and fueling his emotions and perhaps wanted to scare the guy. I also believe it was also fueling the foolish decision to get out of the wrecked car and walk onto the track.

Under caution I can also believe TS was not watching the track and perhaps distracted with something else. As in just keeping the other cars in his peripheral vision because he was not expecting to hit anything or anybody walking on the race track. I would like to believe it was just TS checking his gauges when he thought is was a safe time to see how much fuel was left or how hot things were getting.

This quote is from a team member of the no.45 car in the video...

Mark Tychoniewicz
· August 10 at 10:30am · i have driven these cars,the right side board on the top wing will block out an entire car let alone a person standing there,i now work on the 45 car in the video and the driver said he just saw him at the last second and just missed him,Tony had even less time to react to the situation.people in the stands or watching this video have no idea how fast these thing happen and how limited our view is inside the car.it was a very bad turn of events that happened but we all know the dangers involved in the sport we love.

This comment is from another sprint car driver on the dirt track forum...

In an interview with TWC News, Sprint Car racer Cory Sparks gave his thoughts and also defended Tony Stewart.

"From what I saw, Tony did everything in his power to turn down away from Kevin to avoid him," said Sparks. He also hit on the speculation surrounding Stewart revving his engine seconds before the impact.

Sparks noted that in Sprint Cars, in order to steer those machines, you need the rear wheels as much as you need the steering wheel. He believes that Tony got on the throttle to turn down away from Ward, which would explain the reports suggesting that the front of the car missed the 20-year-old racer, but not the right rear.

"Walking towards cars, like, I know the beast, I work around them. They're not an animal to flirt with. They're very dangerous," said Sprint Car racer Ryan Bickett in an interview with Keloland TV.

So far, at least five tracks across four states have implemented stricter policies regarding drivers getting out of their cars and walking on the track. Some forms of punishment even go as far as suspension and track bans.

Yesterday morning this was announced in Nascar, which took effect in all of its racing series as of the announcement having been made.

NASCAR FORMALIZES ON-TRACK INCIDENT PROCEDURE
August 15, 2014, , NASCAR news release

Rule enhances sport's ongoing safety efforts

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- In its continued efforts to evolve the safety of its sport, NASCAR announced Friday that it will add a rule that addresses on-track incidents as part of its race procedures. The rule, listed as Section 9-16, will be an addendum to the NASCAR rule book and will apply to all of its racing series, effective immediately.

Section 9-16 On-Track Incident Procedure

During an Event, if a racecar is involved in an on track incident and/or is stopped on or near the racing surface and unable to continue to make forward progress, unless extenuating emergency conditions exist with the racecar (i.e. fire, smoke in cockpit, etc.) the driver should take the following steps:

· Shut off electrical power and, if driver is uninjured, lower window net

· Do not loosen , disconnect or remove any driver personal safety equipment until directed to do so by safety personnel or a NASCAR/Track Official

· After being directed to exit the racecar, the driver should proceed to either the ambulance, other vehicle, or as otherwise directed by safety personnel or a NASCAR/Track Official

· At no time should a driver or crew member(s) approach any portion of the racing surface or apron

· At no time should a driver or crew member(s) approach another moving vehicle

All vehicles not involved in the incident or that are able to continue afterwards should slow down to a cautious speed as outlined in Section 10-4 (Yellow Flag), use extreme care as they approach an incident scene, and follow any directions given by safety personnel or NASCAR/Track Officials. Cars in line behind the safety car should not weave or otherwise stray from the line in the vicinity of the incident.

Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition and racing development, says the rule is "part of the evolution of NASCAR’s rules and regulations."

"Throughout the history of our sport, NASCAR has reviewed and analyzed situations and occurrences that take place not just in NASCAR racing but also throughout all motorsports and other sports," said Pemberton. "When we believe we can do something to make our sport safer and better for the competitors and others involved in the competition environment, we react quickly. Safety always has been priority number one at NASCAR."

As with other behavioral infractions, NASCAR will handle each instance separately when assessing potential penalties.

That's great, but this tragedy more then likely would not have happen in NASCAR. A NASCAR has an entire windshield and a complete field of view. They use spotters and communicate with drivers. The circumstances are 180 degrees from this situation. The rule needs to be adapted by every sanctioning body of racing with stiff penalties...like loss of license. If you are still "hot headed" enough to get out of your car knowing that it will cost you the chance to ever race again...you didnt deserve to be racing anyway.
NASCAR needed to help ease the public outrage over the fact that a rule did not exist prior to. I guess the "rules" of common sense do not apply. I have always followed common sense rule no.1..."Humans vs. Machines usually result in machines winning."

If it wasn't Tony Stewart involved would this even be news? At the local circle track here the yahoos racing are always getting out and jawing and trying to fight. Surprised none of them have gotten killed. I'm sure all across the country it happens at every small track, maybe not on the track but in the pits. I think the small tracks like that shit to get the fans going, at least the crappy track near me is like that. Not so much at better tracks I've been to though. At any rate I believe the kid was a bonehead and it's 100% his fault.

If it hadn't of been a cup driver involved, it'd never of made major news that it had gotten. It's amazing more people haven't gotten injured or killed in the lower levels of racing than already do.
Hopefully every level of racing clamps down on not allowing racers to approach other cars that are on the track racing surface and discourage with harsh penalties for leaving the vehicle prior to the safety crew arriving on scene while on the racing surface to go vent frustration towards another racer still running in the ongoing event.
It just isn't worth a life or more to approach a moving vehicle at any speed and act a fool.
It's alot smarter to wait until after the event is over and discuss it with those involved. If you can't wait that long then i guess go talk to the crew of the racer you felt wronged you to voice your differences, but taking a timeout to calm down would be the best option before doing something rash that could cause harm or worse to any involved.

You are correct...a NObody equals NO news...
I prob hate journalists more then any profession on earth. They are just above slime-ball defense attorneys and equal with most of the Govt. They take the small stories and blow them out of proportion, and cover the facts of the large stories that affect their papers or stations income. They are politically sided and can alter the entire economy by reporting about it...good or bad. No section of any society should hold that power. The general public, as a whole, is very uneducated or gullible and believes most of what the National news reports.

I agree with ya coach.
It probably would of still had been talked about locally in the area of it happening with someone who hadn't made it big in racing involved in that accident, just wouldn't of progressed to be a national story and they probably wouldn't of even been investigating the accident if that was the case.
The groups you mentioned are all buddy buddy with the other also in many ways.
It's sad and messed up that money instead of people drives the world.

Hope the healing can begin for all those involved with the racing accident and the loss of ward's life from making a bad decision is a lesson learned by others to think before you act, as it can be the last mistake anyone makes in their life.

If it wasn't Tony Stewart involved would this even be news? At the local circle track here the yahoos racing are always getting out and jawing and trying to fight. Surprised none of them have gotten killed. I'm sure all across the country it happens at every small track, maybe not on the track but in the pits. I think the small tracks like that shit to get the fans going, at least the crappy track near me is like that. Not so much at better tracks I've been to though. At any rate I believe the kid was a bonehead and it's 100% his fault.

Agree, but TS reputation has exacerbated the situation. TS running the guy into the wall is an issue. Of course it is debatable and it is obvious that was the catalyst that had the guy come out of his racecar. He should have stayed in, but when the most experienced driver on the track forces you in the wall you would be pretty pissed off too. TS has a history off pissing people off. That's why its news and we are here offering our opinions. I'm just not going to swing on Stewarts sack from the gitgo. Questions should be asked and investigated and that is what is happening.

You are correct...a NObody equals NO news...
I prob hate journalists more then any profession on earth. They are just above slime-ball defense attorneys and equal with most of the Govt. They take the small stories and blow them out of proportion, and cover the facts of the large stories that affect their papers or stations income. They are politically sided and can alter the entire economy by reporting about it...good or bad. No section of any society should hold that power. The general public, as a whole, is very uneducated or gullible and believes most of what the National news reports.

100% agree.

Like I stated before, the track where this happened is a mile from my house. We go once or twice a year. The lighting in that corner, and for the better part of the track, is poor. Two years ago a safety guy was killed in the pits, struck by a modified driver, who never saw him. Didn't hear about that, did ya? Tragedy, all the way around.. Phil.

I don't think tony would intinally run over the guy look at the video the guy infront of stewart almost hit him ... I think tony would have pulled over an settled it then ! r after the race. Its never a good idea to get out your car, mumuch less walk into race cars

What blew me away with the whole report was the headlines. They were very suggestive to make the reader believe this was an intentional or malicious act. I don't follow Nascar or have any clue over Tony Stewarts reputation but the headlines certainly didn't give him the benefit of the doubt.
AG

The media tend to spin things to garner as much shock factor and attention as they can to get viewership to be higher than anyone else in the business as they tend to refer to it as. Especially if it means them making a financial gain of some sort over any concern of the impact it may have had on all involved in the stories that are spun to the direction they are taking the reporting on the event towards. If they get it wrong, they simply put in retractions and sometimes just offer an appology that can't undo the damage to the reputation & view the public has towards those involved nor undo the emotional damage that has been inflicted upon the involved parties.
All that mostly matters to the media world is how quickly can they put on the air the next big story that'll be talked about.

Agree, but TS reputation has exacerbated the situation. TS running the guy into the wall is an issue. Of course it is debatable and it is obvious that was the catalyst that had the guy come out of his racecar. He should have stayed in, but when the most experienced driver on the track forces you in the wall you would be pretty pissed off too. TS has a history off pissing people off. That's why its news and we are here offering our opinions. I'm just not going to swing on Stewarts sack from the gitgo. Questions should be asked and investigated and that is what is happening.

How did TS run anybody into the wall? Ward comes up from behind him, on the right. How is TS supposed to know he is even there? Given no rear view mirrors and no spotters, he can't. Maybe TS caused Ward to hit the wall, but there is no way he could have done it on purpose. Ward tried to make an ill advised pass and it didn't work out. That's not the fault of TS.

Then on the issue of TS's temper... what would he have been mad at? All he knows is that a caution came out. That's it. It's not like he is watching a Jumbotron and can see what happened. It's not like he can see Ward angrily get out of the car... and then plan to "teach him a lesson". All he knows is that a caution came out and he's following the guy in front... on a very similar line well low enough to avoid the car against the wall. The last thing he would expect is for someone to be on the track, running towards him.

Then, if you watch, you can see the guy in front of TS damn near hit Ward himself... which leaves TS approximately one second to react to seeing a person in his path and try to avoid him. Given the excellent explanations of how those cars drive in previous posts, that wasn't going to happen.

For people to be even remotely suggesting that TS did this even a little bit on purpose is the internet, and our culture of victimazation, at its worst.

Ward does something insanely stupid and it's somebody else's fault he gets killed... sheesh.

How did TS run anybody into the wall? Ward comes up from behind him, on the right. How is TS supposed to know he is even there? Given no rear view mirrors and no spotters, he can't. Maybe TS caused Ward to hit the wall, but there is no way he could have done it on purpose. Ward tried to make an ill advised pass and it didn't work out. That's not the fault of TS.

Then on the issue of TS's temper... what would he have been mad at? All he knows is that a caution came out. That's it. It's not like he is watching a Jumbotron and can see what happened. It's not like he can see Ward angrily get out of the car... and then plan to "teach him a lesson". All he knows is that a caution came out and he's following the guy in front... on a very similar line well low enough to avoid the car against the wall. The last thing he would expect is for someone to be on the track, running towards him.

Then, if you watch, you can see the guy in front of TS damn near hit Ward himself... which leaves TS approximately one second to react to seeing a person in his path and try to avoid him. Given the excellent explanations of how those cars drive in previous posts, that wasn't going to happen.

For people to be even remotely suggesting that TS did this even a little bit on purpose is the internet, and our culture of victimazation, at its worst.

Ward does something insanely stupid and it's somebody else's fault he gets killed... sheesh.

Wow Blob, please send me the video of the entire race you watched. You and I don't know what interaction these 2 had during the race or earlier in the day races. If there was a problem during the race I guarantee TS and Ward would know where each other was at all times. Front or back! Something must have happened for Ward to be so pissed off. You and I do not know so don't come in with a one sided view. I have said Ward was at fault for getting out of his car, but I am well aware of TS reputation and I do factor that in. You may not. That's where it ends so swing away Tarzan.

I have said Ward was at fault for getting out of his car, but I am well aware of TS reputation and I do factor that in.
I agree that Ward was at fault and lacked food judgment by getting out of his car…As for "TS", he's an arrogant, class-less a**hole.

Claude.

Wow Blob, please send me the video of the entire race you watched. You and I don't know what interaction these 2 had during the race or earlier in the day races. If there was a problem during the race I guarantee TS and Ward would know where each other was at all times. Front or back! Something must have happened for Ward to be so pissed off. You and I do not know so don't come in with a one sided view. I have said Ward was at fault for getting out of his car, but I am well aware of TS reputation and I do factor that in. You may not. That's where it ends so swing away Tarzan.

Even if your assumption of a prior incident between Ward and TS is true (which might explain why Ward was so pissed about an accident that was 100% his own fault), and even if they were trying to keep track of each other, there is still no way TS could have seen anybody coming from behind on the outside much less know who it was. So even if he felt a tap on his rear tire he would still have no idea who hit him.

Look, I get that a lot of people don't like TS but it defies all logic that he was even aware it was Ward who wrecked, much less that he had gotten out of his car. Therefore he had absolutely no reason to scan the track for a person and be planning to "teach them a lesson"... especially since he had done nothing wrong and would have no reason to think anybody would be upset with him. For people to even be suggesting that this was somehow a "lesson gone bad" is to ignore the facts and common sense and in their place substitute fantastical scenarios to fit their personal anti Tony Stewart agendas.