To mod or not to mod,,,

gnturboray

Why me??
I've got a 646 original mile 87 GN with no mods. I've now got the bug to make it go really fast with bolt-ons. Should I or shouldn't I? I'm talkin lots of chome, TE44, PTE front mount, 50 lb injectors, Walbro 340m, Kenne Bell 65 mm tb with matching plenum, Poston headers with cross over, ATR Pitbull exhaust, Be Cool aluminum radiator and a Terry Houston 3" dp.

Please help with my decision.:confused:

sell it and get one that is past collector value if you want to go fast......or get another and mod the hell out of it

but, don't think I would mess with the one you got!

Well if you have the money then I agree with the above, but if it were mine, I think I would mod the crap out of it. But it depends on if you care about resale or not, if you plan on keeping the car, then let the modding begin. There are a lot of cheaper higher mileage GNs for sale out there though. Good luck.

A lot depends on how far you plan on the MODS.
You can back out minor mods. Actually you can backout some major ones too.

Personally I would not touch your low mile car.
I would keep it. :)

If you can afford to keep current & buy another one then mod that instead.

Otherwise some day you will be sorry you sold your low milage car & kick YOSELF in the ARSE!:mad:

What are your goals?

To have a car with a lot of mods on it? Orrr... to have a car that runs quick. Somepeople would rather look fast than actually be fast. You maybe one of those people, I don't know.

You can run quick enough to get kicked off every track in North Texas (for no roll bar) and still have the car look 700 mile stock. It's not about bolting a bunch of wizbang "mods" on though.

Before you do anything to car, replacing the factory fuel pump is a mod everyone will agree WON'T hurt the value of your car. Do that before you even think of bolting on anything else.

This is my second 87 GN, my last one had mild bolt ons with alot of chrome and org 71,000 mi. I ran high 11's with that car. I want to show and go with this low miler.

Originally posted by gnturboray
I want to show and go with this low miler.

You just answered your own question.

Mod it to what you want.... It is your car..

DON't let us decide for you.

Just an idea..

Go to town and Mod it. Most importantly, keep all the stock pieces, clean them up nice and store them. If you decide to sell some day, the parts are there. Maybe even pull the motor and replace with a bad a$$ one. Your choice...

Shaun

it's your car. therefore, enjoy it. i'd say do some recipe mods and you can have those 11's and still look 99% original. there's nothing wrong with enjoying a masterpiece!:D

To me there would be 2 options:
1. If you have money to mod the heck out of it then you have enough money to buy another high mileage TR in good shape to race and have fun with. After spending money on this additional TR you may not be able to afford to mod it right away but you can do that next year or so after you save some more money.
2. Or you could do some minor mods as suggested above and then you will still have a very quick, near stock 700 mile GN.

I think you need to figure out if you are concerned about resale. You won't get too much money back for mods you invest in the car so saving the stock pieces is a must. Also if you start driving the car a lot you will kill its value. It will still be worth a lot of $$ but there is a point where the GN with a few hundred miles loses its desireability from a collector car investment to just another sub 10k low mile GN.

Like everyone else said it is your car so do what you please. Just decide if you are more concerned about what is best for your wallet or your fun times. Either way, Good Luck!:)

If I had the choice

I'd keep it the way it it. If you have a need for speend then pick up a bucket and mod the hell out of it. Just remember what we go through to find "mint" cars. Just imagine having that car 20 years from now. A 100% un molested car....

I don't care for stock GNs:

Bad fuel pump
Bad injectors
Bad chip
Missing body mounts
Bad plug wires
Bad plugs
Bad shocks
Bad control arms
No instrumentation
Lousy intercooler
Lousy turbo

I could go on and on.

I bought my current GN with 3,650 miles on it, and started modding it pretty much from day one.

I'm not saying to weld a cage in it and dump in a Stage 2, but tell me what's wrong with "fixing" the weak OEM stuff?

:)