To E85 or not ?

HUENEMEGN

I'm just about to drop in my NEW Stroker 3.8 with all forged internals. I'm debating if I should go with E85 injectors or gas 80# injectors with my alky kit? This is the last piece to the puzzle!

I would like to be at around 500+ rwhp . Looking to get to the 10's if that's possible.
I've already purchased a DW400 fuel pump. Not installed yet. Will be getting 8- feed and 6- return lines if needed.

My new turbo is 6466 mfs turbo
cam is a roller 215/220
fresh build transmission to handle 600+ with billet 3,200-3,400 stall
3" GN1 Downpipe with external WG
Ported stock heads with bigger valves

So will E85 be a better option or stick with gas and alky for my goal? I have a E85 station about 15 miles away from home. Not many around here. I guess I can buy a drum to store at home. Not sure the shelf life of E85.

If I do decide to go E85, I will need to mod my ECM to accept low imp injectors, Change over my fuel lines to SS, add a E85 flex sensor? and then get 120# or higher fuel injectors with a matching chip (I will have Eric re-burn me a chip)

need your help guys!

Thanks
Oscar

Since you asked for opinions, I will state mine after having done many e-85 conversions!

With a DW 400 fuel pump and 80# injectors, they will put you well into the 10's.

You may find it easier to use a flexible fuel line rather then stainless lines. I have specs for fittings and line info if you need a list of what we have used.

A valuable addition would be a Powerlogger for your tuning and lots of good data for many items.

Since you asked for opinions, I will state mine after having done many e-85 conversions!

With a DW 400 fuel pump and 80# injectors, they will put you well into the 10's.

You may find it easier to use a flexible fuel line rather then stainless lines. I have specs for fittings and line info if you need a list of what we have used.

A valuable addition would be a Powerlogger for your tuning and lots of good data for many items.

That's what I meant Nick. Sorry ... SS braided lines!

I do have a power logger. I haven't updated my signature.

I am leaning toward the #80 injectors. I just don't want to regret later not converting to E85 then buying injectors twice.
Ugh.. the struggle of combo matching!

The main thing is , is it plentiful in your area ?? I have 3 stations near me , so it makes sense .
You can make just as much HP on pump gas & alky as E85 , but I like the ease of just going to the pump and filling up . It seemed easier to dial my car in on E85 than gas & alky , plus you don't have to worry about running out of alky , or alky pump pressure dropping off . My car also runs cooler on E85 .

That's what I meant Nick. Sorry ... SS braided lines!

I do have a power logger. I haven't updated my signature.

I am leaning toward the #80 injectors. I just don't want to regret later not converting to E85 then buying injectors twice.
Ugh.. the struggle of combo matching!

I was in the same boat as you years ago when I decided to go E85. I decided to design my system where it can work for either gas or E85 with just the powerlogger.
- I have two chips for my ECU: E85 and gas. I also have an emissions chip for the E85 and have passed smog with it.
- I went with the 120 lb injectors which have worked well for me on either gas or E85.
- I changed my fuel lines to the larger teflon lines.
- I went with the very cool Superpumper setup with the Walboro 450 pump from ArizonaGN. The DW400 did not exist yet, but I would get that now.
- Had my ECU drivers updated by Bob Bailey so I could run the 120s.
- I did not go with a flex fuel sender because I had no way to use it or display it using the regular ECU/Powerlogger without switching to the SD2 system or another ECU. I do have a manual tester that I test the E85 with at the pump. It ranges from E60 to E85 in my area depending on the season.

It has been a good system.
Around town, I run E85 or the seasonal variety of E85. I like that I never have to worry about the Alky level or setting.
If I want to take my car on a longer trip, I switch to my gas chip and make sure Alky is primed/working.
If I go to the track, I will put some e98 in with the E85 it just to get the alcohol level up.

The E85 has been fun...it does spool faster and just 'feels' faster. I also like the way it smells. Mileage sucks..10-12 mpg.

Hope this helps.

Will the e85 make me go faster or more HP? or is it "just good to have"

It's more knock resistant. It has basically the same knock resistance as 110 leaded, and it's better latent heat of vaporization compensates for things like intercoolers that aren't big enough. If you have the injectors and pump to feed the engine and the stuff is easy to get where you live, it's a no-brainer. Do it.

The main thing is , is it plentiful in your area ?? I have 3 stations near me , so it makes sense .
You can make just as much HP on pump gas & alky as E85 , but I like the ease of just going to the pump and filling up . It seemed easier to dial my car in on E85 than gas & alky , plus you don't have to worry about running out of alky , or alky pump pressure dropping off . My car also runs cooler on E85 .
No doubt. Going e85 if you cant get the stuff seems kind of short sighted.

A local is deep into the elevens on a real unopened stocker using a lot of stock stuff on e85. I believe he will be in BG. Look for a super clean white limited with Texas Plates.

I was in the same boat as you years ago when I decided to go E85. I decided to design my system where it can work for either gas or E85 with just the powerlogger.
- I have two chips for my ECU: E85 and gas. I also have an emissions chip for the E85 and have passed smog with it.
- I went with the 120 lb injectors which have worked well for me on either gas or E85.
- I changed my fuel lines to the larger teflon lines.
- I went with the very cool Superpumper setup with the Walboro 450 pump from ArizonaGN. The DW400 did not exist yet, but I would get that now.
- Had my ECU drivers updated by Bob Bailey so I could run the 120s.
- I did not go with a flex fuel sender because I had no way to use it or display it using the regular ECU/Powerlogger without switching to the SD2 system or another ECU. I do have a manual tester that I test the E85 with at the pump. It ranges from E60 to E85 in my area depending on the season.

It has been a good system.
Around town, I run E85 or the seasonal variety of E85. I like that I never have to worry about the Alky level or setting.
If I want to take my car on a longer trip, I switch to my gas chip and make sure Alky is primed/working.
If I go to the track, I will put some e98 in with the E85 it just to get the alcohol level up.

The E85 has been fun...it does spool faster and just 'feels' faster. I also like the way it smells. Mileage sucks..10-12 mpg.

Hope this helps.

Yup, I’m in same boat your were in . You had the same ideas . Seems Like a better option to me but , there’s always that but , that a lot of others have done it without .

Also , so does e85 help on emissions? I’m in California so the CARB is strict . But I have a friend that helps me on that would be nice no to ??

I did read a lot of people notice faster spool up? I think I might need it on my 6466. Wont know till I have it running .

IMO, if your already replacing the pump and your buying new injectors then I think it's a no-brainer not to use e85. All's you have to do is run new fuel and return lines. There's several manufactures out there to choose from. I used TechAFX and it's not hard to do. In fact, if your fuel lines are original it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade. Just a thought.... Way more benefits (as you've read) using e85 then 93 with alky. And 15 miles away is not a deal breaker..... Also, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're selling yourself way short by only looking for 500 rwhp. Especially using a turbo that's rated for about 900 hp. Good luck with it!

Also , so does e85 help on emissions? I’m in California so the CARB is strict . But I have a friend that helps me on that would be nice no to ??

Per this study, yes, E85 can help with emissions. https://www.afdc.energy.gov/pdfs/technical_paper_feb09.pdf
Per the study, CO and NOx were reduced with E85, HCs staying about the same. (Tier 1- Cars and Light Duty Trucks)

With that said...you can pass with either Gas or E85 if you have a functioning cat and Turbotweak's emissions chip.

Here is how my car tested out last emissions with E85 and 120s:

Low speed idle 950 rpm:

HC=53, Limit 200
CO=0.0, Limit 1.20
High speed 2400 rpm:
HC=21, Limit 200
CO=0.0, Limit 1.20

My state does not test for NOx.

I would like to be at around 500+ rwhp . Looking to get to the 10's if that's possible.
Easy,pump gas alky.you already have it.i you will use alot less fuel if the car is driven as well.alky only sprays when needed.want more octane in the motor add another line or turn the alky up.10s on a single nozzle is easy

So will E85 be a better option or stick with gas and alky for my goal?
For your goal there will be no power increase as both fuels will get the job done.there will be a cost difference to aquire and to run the different fuels.pump gas alky is cheaper to run

Go with E85. I was worried about fuel mileage and thought with a concern of finding it when I away from home, till I drove from NC to Michigan planning every station a mileage a part. I got 16 mpg and went from skipping one of the stops to skipping 2 to 3 based on mileage apart. Other than a little long crank and start when its cold out, I will stay with E85. Plus that 29 psi pull puts a smile on your face, scares your passenger, and ticks off the guy on the other lane. 3 years with months of storage at a time, no issues. The hardest part, getting past the fear of just doing it.

Way more benefits (as you've read) using e85 then 93 with alky.
obviously he didnt read my post then;)e85 consumes more to make the same power (volume). alot more e10 to e85.500rwhp is nothing even for the single nozzle and he already has it,fuel lines,pump,etc.you need alot more fuel system for e85.intake charge temps are better controlled with methanol injection as well.i personally also like the idea of running m1 methanol when in boost and it has alot more detonation suppression than just about anything out there.