To charlief1

T Carter

are forums not meant to talk, as questions? If i express to you any of you that im new to the forum, that should be a hint that i am new to the forum. charlief1 taught me today becuz i not knowingly hijacked a thread to ask a question that had no relations to the thread , so sorry if i pissed some of you off but its a forum WHY SO SERIOUS again ive never done the forum thing before so lightenup do kick me off just yet lol thanks

the zddp oil additive is it a must? can lucus oil treatment be used instead ? if not where do you get the zddp

I'm one of the mods and in the thread about alky use I got a complaint from the OP requesting you to go away.;) The other thread was about the board owners car and how it was built.:rolleyes: If you want to ask a question, ask away, but it's rude to jump in a thread that had nothing to do with what you were wondering about.o_O None of us mind questions, even if you think they're stupid, that's how we all learn, but remember you're new and what you did is basically like trying to break in on a conversation and try to change it.

Now as far as your question goes, ZDDP is a zinc additive and if your car still has the original cam in it then it would be a good idea to get some. There is no other additive with the amount of zinc in it to help keep the cam from going flat. Lucas, STP, or any of the other additives don't have the same level of zinc but you can get oil that already has the right amount of zinc in them. There are 2 different valvoline racing oils and one you can't usually get in stores because it's marked "for racing only". You can also use Joe Gibbs oil which has the right amount of zinc in it. You need no other additives with either of the above posted oils and I think there's 1 or 2 more out there.

Please ask any questions you have. There is tons of knowledge here. We are all glad to help. Just start a new thread with your questions. Let us get to know you before you start stepping on toes.:D

will do , trust me im trying to learn how to use this forum. i had, nor do intend on stepping on any toes. sorry guys and thanks for you help and patients

Also, the search function is very useful. There are a bunch of smart folks on this board, and a bunch of "still learning" folks who have already asked the same questions.

Welcome.

Always glad to have a new member on the board and I see you're from Lavina. I lived in cental TN for 10 years myself. Go to your user controls and add some info on your car in your sig, which will help others help you better.;) Once you get to know the board and it's users better you'll understand more about the way things work. We do have some cut up and we've got a few asses on the board but they're few and far between. 99% of us are more than willing to help if we can and you'll even find guys that are willing to show up at your door if you need help.:cool: This is one of the best boards on the net and after you get involved in it you'll understand why.:D

Pretty sure kirbans performance has zddp just look them up in the vendor section on the board. No dumb questions on here!!!!
I have never used the zddp but I still have my worn out valve springs on all my cars so I feel that's probably why I haven't had a issue. If I put new springs in I certainly would add some to my oil

ya you got me ... but if i say it enough it mite come true .. lol ..
Well let's stop being guilty of hijacking carters thread, which is what I bitched about him doing.:oops: Sorry about that but you've just gotten an example of what can happen on the board when 2 of the cut ups get started.:p If you want to get a laugh look in the B4black section at the BS thread.:eek: It's called the BS thread for a reason:D

Well let's stop being guilty of hijacking carters thread, which is what I bitched about him doing.:oops: Sorry about that but you've just gotten an example of what can happen on the board when 2 of the cut ups get started.:p If you want to get a laugh look in the B4black section at the BS thread.:eek: It's called the BS thread for a reason:D

Ya there better not be any smart questions or real tech data in that...................... its alllllllllllllllllll BULL S*IT!

id like to keep my bull s*it full of bull s*it.

Charlie, not to debate the zinc in Valvoline racing oil or any of the oils you mention above BUT it is my understanding from RC that you have to have 1800mm's (or close to) of zinc in oil to protect a flat tappet cam. Iv'e yet to see any numbers on any brand of oil?? Have you ever had any oils analized? I have and have done so quite afew times on Valvoline VR-1 racing oil (which I run and like it very much) and also Castrol GTX. Had these two brands tested after 1000 miles of run time. New oil filters on all tested oils. Some years back I was running Castrol with no additive. Had 480 mm's zinc in it when tested. WOW!! that's when I went to Valvoline VR-1 racing oil. One test on the valvoline (with NO ZDDP) come out at 1140mm's on another test with a bottle of RC's ZDDP came out at 2450mm's. So guys running original stock flat tappet cams or brand new ones had better ad some zinc additive or you have a damn good chance of wiping the cam. Also all these test were done at a lab here called ( Oil Analysis Lab) and the've been here for years, so I feel pretty confident in thier testing. Just some food for thought guys. Thanks Mike

Richard would be the one to answer that Mike. I do know that valvolene has 2 different racing oils though and the old Kendal brand is being produced by Joe Gibbs I believe. The "for racing only" valvolene is for off highway use and the Joe Gibbs is hard to find as well. Maybe Paul can help here?

Charlie,
Didn't really ask any questions here, just stating some facts of the importance of having zinc in todays oils. I know ther are two levels of Valvoline racing oil and there are a bunch of them now claiming thier oils to be zinc fortified. How much?? I don't know. I know this issue has been beat to death and I think Richard is tired discussing it as he has explained it in detail many times. I know that I'll keep using RC's ZDDP.