To buy or not to buy aTerry Houston Downpipe??

Sly87

I have been thinking about getting a THD for a while now.I don't have the stock type actuator and swivel rod to adjust the boost close to the Turbo.My boost control is on a Racegate in the middle of the crossover pipe underneath the car.Does having my current setup hurt with the spool up of my Turbo??Would I see a difference in spool rate if I got rid of the old Racegate and bought a Terry Houston DP or would it be minimal :confused:

i would upgrade to the TH DP. you will never have to replace it. if your waste gate is the red one you will end up needing 2 of them if you get into the big turbos. not sure on the blue ones. also they are loud dumped under the car.

Second that.. I had a show polished 3" thdp and it fit perfect.. now Im going to a 3 1/2 thdp well worth the money.. they fit awesome! :)

SWOOOSH said:
i would upgrade to the TH DP. you will never have to replace it. if your waste gate is the red one you will end up needing 2 of them if you get into the big turbos. not sure on the blue ones. also they are loud dumped under the car.
My 3 inch downpipe is is good condition.I think I have just 1 red Racegate under the middle of the crosspipe.It was originally installed there with a bigger Turbo a 60-1 Hi Fi.Everything worked including adjusting boost from inside my car.I decided to switch to a TE-44 and I like that Turbo way more on the street.My question is does having the boost control near the Racegate because its further from the Turbo hurt with Spooling of the Turbo :confused:Precision had told me that my setup was more for Racing and thats why my car doesn't spool as fast as a stock GN .I just don't want to waste money if my current Turbo setup and having the Racegate has nothing to do with Spool rate. :cool:

How fast has the car run? How fast are you trying to go?

The stock stuff is awesome.. especially with mild street combo's.

Do you have an issue with your gate assy??? Dunno.. you need to look at the cars performance to make that decision. But I will tell you that a bleeder style boost controller will hamper your spoolup performance.

The more complicated people make these cars.. the harder they are to "figure" out. KISS is the best principle.

Razor said:

The stock stuff is awesome.. especially with mild street combo's.

Do you have an issue with your gate assy??? Dunno.. you need to look at the cars performance to make that decision. But I will tell you that a bleeder style boost controller will hamper your spoolup performance.

The more complicated people make these cars.. the harder they are to "figure" out. KISS is the best principle.
My Gate assembly is definately an issue.Its about 10 years old.It worked fine with my old 60-1 Turbo but when I went with the smaller TE-44 I could no longer adjust the boost from my controller inside the car.The 60-1 Turbo was not a fun Turbo on the street!!Maybe there's some difference in between the 2 Turbo's??I guess the bleeder style boost control is just hampering with the spool up.The car still runs quite well though.It just seems a little rich on the bottom but that can be mistaken for the bleeder style setup that hurts with the spooling.I probably should get rid of that old setup and buy a THDP.Then after that I will have to decide whether I want an aftermarket stall converter or whether that would be overkill on the street. :confused:

Razor said:

Im just wanting a car that can kick ass on the street although I wouldn't mind running mid to high 11's at the track some time in the future. :cool:

Sly87 said:
Razor said:

Im just wanting a car that can kick ass on the street although I wouldn't mind running mid to high 11's at the track some time in the future. :cool:

Then just put an integral WG downpipe, stock headers and crossover, stock boost control or RJC valve, and see how that goes. Get rid of any weird boost control/wastegate.

You'll be miles ahead.

dude, sounds like you have tuning/plumbing issues going on. a 60-1 is a small turbo that should spool fast. i have a 66 and it spools so dam fast. its a rush to drive around town, and blow the drag radials away in any gear.

I second that. Even with a GT67, I had plenty quick spoolup on the street. I could fry the tires at will, without power-braking. (real tires! MT street)

I'd look into an exhaust leak, or too low of a converter stall.

I ran 11.3 with a little 60 on a bone stock long block. I even changed the exhaust housing to a .85 to slow down the spoolup.

11.1 with the gt67