Tire Size P275/60R15-Will It Rub

Very timely thread - I am looking for a vendor to widen some 84 GN (T style) wheels

And I am looking for all this info.

HI Thinking about getitng Mickey Thompson ET Drag Radials. Size 275 60 15's. Will it rub. What do I need to do to make them work?

Thanks Virgil

Thanks for asking!
hail.gif

The only rims that will allow that tire to fit up inside the fenderwell is either:

A) 8" rim with 4" backspace

B) 7" rim with 3.5" backspace

C) Stock rims

It may/may not rub a little, or require slight lip trimming and/or aluminum drums... but anything bigger or with a diffrent offset will hit the 1/4 panel... unless that is, you jack the car up like a 4x4... which looks pathetic.

Looks like I am going for option A)

What if you're hauling around a couple fat chicks?:confused: Will they rub going down the road or only on corners?:confused:

Thanks for the laugh Jesse! How about if a fat guy is back there with a couple fat chicks? Might be fun and there'd be some rubbing for sure!
lol2.gif

Of course it couldn't be me anymore - I was just thinking back to the bad old days...:redface: so I better jus shut up and drink my beer.

kirban 2 cents worth

I agree with the above advice....one GN I stripped did have that size on the back it was a 1986 rode on 8.5 size rims....did not see any issues.

Alot has to do with how good your rear suspension is, and if you have all the body bushings intact and how straight your car body sits on the frame. If you meet all those requirements you should be ok. Check with a tire place but I don't believe putting that size tire on a 7 inch wide rim is recommended.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I REALLY like the look of those 8" GN rims... I think I will look into a set of those... :cool:

Check with a tire place but I don't believe putting that size tire on a 7 inch wide rim is recommended.

It may not be recommended, but it sure works good for me. :cool:

I only went with these rims because many Mfg's only offer the wheels in odd offsets. (3.5/4.5/5.5 etc...) A 7" wide, 3.5"BS rim is as close to being centered under the car as I could get without using spacers. (spacers suck) Stock GN rims are 7" wide... and guys put the 275's on them all the time.
I have 8" rims with a 4.5" backspace, but they hit the frame rails pretty hard. I didn't want to put a 1/2" spacer behind them on a high HP car.
8" rims with 3.5"BS look Mickey Mouse and will hit the 1/4's unless the car sits like a 4x4.

15x7 rims, on two different GN's of mine:

This one has 275/60 MT Drag Radials on 15x7 - 3.5BS Welds
DSC078152.jpg

This one has 28x11.5 MT ET Streets on the same 7" rims...
gn9-1.jpg

gn10.jpg

Pics 8" vs 10" on 275/60

been preaching this for a while :p for those that don't know .... a 275/60 DR on a 10" rim is a BIG difference than an 8" rim.. I posted the pics of both a while ago

Can you send me the links to your post comparing 8" vs 10"?

here ya go .. the launch pic is an 8" rim .. the beach pic is the 10" rim.

Attachments

• 8 t0 10.jpg
    8 t0 10.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 226
  • Meliissa launch ATCO.jpg
    Meliissa launch ATCO.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 211
OK ,,,Here i go again ,every body says that you need a 4 in bs on a 8 in rim to run a 275-60-15 or it will rub,,,well most of the wheel companys offer a 4.5 bs on a 8 in wide wheel and i believe there will be a problem of tire to frame rubbing ,,,AM I RIGHT AND WHAT TO DO, and no i do not want to notch.;)

OK ,,,Here i go again ,every body says that you need a 4 in bs on a 8 in rim to run a 275-60-15 or it will rub,,,well most of the wheel companys offer a 4.5 bs on a 8 in wide wheel and i believe there will be a problem of tire to frame rubbing ,,,AM I RIGHT AND WHAT TO DO, and no i do not want to notch.;)

Bob...on a 8" rim + some 275-60-15 tires, I found that the correct back spacing is 3.5", NO MORE, or it will rub against the frame. I know this by my own experience...You might have to roll the fender lips though (no big deal...), but on my car, when I decided to use the wheels described above, the fenders had already been rolled a few years before to use some slicks at the track...
Look more closely...I'm pretty sure that you can get some 8" wheels with less back spacing than 4.5"...You can even call a few manufacturers to ask them to see if they can "custom-make" you a set, if you don't see the back spacing you'd like listed on their websites.
See www.centerlinewheels.com #5803-547, followed by the wheel style number ex:725, 721, 733, 727, etc...
Hope this helps...
see 'ya!

Claude. :)

P.S: --> Note that a 4.5" back spacing works on a 10" wide rim with the same 275-60-15 tires ...

THANKS CLAUDE,for pointing me in the right direction,is the buick coming south with you this winter.:cool:

THANKS CLAUDE,for pointing me in the right direction,is the buick coming south with you this winter.:cool:

Bob, my pleasure! :wink: As for brigning my Buick to Florida next March, well...I'm afraid not...:redface: Even though I have the car back home, there is still a little work to do on it next spring...but I'm probably going to bring my T-Bird again (if it's not sold by then...)

Claude. :cool:

P.S: About wheels manufcturers that have some 15"x8" wheels with a back spacing of 3.5", do some searching...I found Centerline, but there are surely other brands who offer them...