Tire shopping ,.. 275-50-15 on stock 86 GN wheels? 255-60-15 the limit?

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
I need to buy tires for a 86GN and 255/60/15 BFG tires are the same price as a drag radial 275-50-15

Just wondering who has put a 275 on the stock GN wheel and does it look stupid? The tire manufacturer suggests a 7.5 to 9.5 inch wide wheel

Pics?

Go to the wheel/tire thread. Has all the info you will ever need

I really dont want to look at one thread with 50 pages just to not find what i am looking for. I was hoping to find someone here that may have the answer to my question.

Thanks.

The sidewalls will be bowed in quite a bit. It will also make the ass end of the car wag like a dog going down the road. If memory serves I had to run 18PSI max to keep from wearing the centers out.

Back when I put 275 Radial T/As on my car I drove 45 miles each way on the interstate to work and drove my car every day. I mounted my tires at work and drove home immediately noticing the difference.

Then a few days later I got used to it.

Widening my rear wheels 1" made a big difference in look and stance (I added and extra 1/4" of backspacing so the outer lip only moved out 3/4"). Now I run Cooper Cobra 295's on the back which are right at the same tread width of my old T/A's.

The sidewalls will be bowed in quite a bit. It will also make the ass end of the car wag like a dog going down the road. If memory serves I had to run 18PSI max to keep from wearing the centers out.

Back when I put 275 Radial T/As on my car I drove 45 miles each way on the interstate to work and drove my car every day. I mounted my tires at work and drove home immediately noticing the difference.

Then a few days later I got used to it.

Widening my rear wheels 1" made a big difference in look and stance (I added and extra 1/4" of backspacing so the outer lip only moved out 3/4"). Now I run Cooper Cobra 295's on the back which are right at the same tread width of my old T/A's.

Do you remember where you had it done? Did you have to roll the lips?

I need to roll the lips. When my car was stolen and treated like it was the General Lee, the sides of the tires were cut and shaved all to hell. Keep in mind, I moved my centerline when I had mine done. The widened wheels that are available now put the entire inch on the outside of the rim.

I went through a lot of trouble making sure my axle was dead nuts centered on the frame and my body is dead nuts centered on the frame. Alum drums also got me another 1/8" of clearance. If any of those are out of whack, you'll probable end up rubbing, cutting, or having one wheel stick out past the lip while the other doesn't.

Tru Design did the job back when it was cost effective to get them done.

The only bad part is the chrome the use on the new hoops is absolute shit. They started forming rust bubbles almost on day one and started breaking through in about a month or two. While my car sat while I was putting it back together the bead area on the lowermost part completely flaked off from rust.

Just wondering who has put a 275 on the stock GN wheel and does it look stupid?
I have done it,it can be made to work but inmo the best fit on the stocker that plans to make 11 sec power is the 255/60/15,it fits right on the stock wheel and is only a little taller.the 275 really has a lot of sidewall buldge and will move around a lot when the car is turning, spacers are needed to stop rubbing,tire pressure will have to be real low to use the width due to the rim being to narrow.the 255 drives a lot better has more sidewall more rollout and fits a stocker good.

Thanks for your honest answers guys

I used to run 255-60-15 bfg regular radials, but was quoted with mount and balance and road hazard
Bfg's
255s
235s
For 772.00
Same size coopers
For 535.00
Ouch!

I tried it. It didn't look right on the GN rim. I put 275 and then went to 295's on the ttype rim instead.

I think they were Futura (I think they're a Cooper sub sold at Pep Boys)

Attachments

• 1485.JPG
    1485.JPG
    586.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 1489.JPG
    1489.JPG
    674.1 KB · Views: 169
Quick6, Go to the brake/suspension forum and look at the OFFICIAL wheel/tire thread, page 49. I just put 235/60R15 on 7" rims on the front and 255/60R15 MT's on 8" rims on the back of my GN. Really like the stance and the ride.
John

Last edited:
Thanks for your honest answers guys

I used to run 255-60-15 bfg regular radials, but was quoted with mount and balance and road hazard
Bfg's
255s
235s
For 772.00
Same size coopers
For 535.00
Ouch!
Discount tire direct is running a special on ebay thru October, $100 off orders over $400. A set of Cooper Cobra's in the sizes you want would be $340 with free shipping.

10450628_10203696484474645_3911699734562803378_n.jpg

That's where I got mine. It sucks they charge sales tax in GA though.. AND it's taxed at the pre discount price!

Yesterday I ordered a set of Yokohamas for my Blazer with a $60 kickback and just got an email that UPS will have them on my doorstep tomorrow. Out of pocket will be right at $270 for four tires total. That beats cheaper tires from wal*mart by $50.

The discount code is Cmotors16 and it can only be used twice.

What if i want to run 8" wheels all the way around? Currently have 215/65/15 front. 235/60/15 back on stock gn wheels. Looking pretty puny on the back if you know what i mean lol. DO NOT want a "rake". Just fill up the wheel well a little more on the rear. Any idea's? Suggestions? I know you can't have everything. Bty, that is a killer deal on Cooper Cobras. Looooove the way they squeal. The smoke nicely also.

255/60 are 27" tall, the stock tire and 235/60 are 26" tall. not much rake