tips for getting those rear spark plugs out

nero

I searched for tips to getting at those things... but to no avail! :)
Was wondering if anyone had any tips as to getting those spark plugs out (closest to firewall). The passenger side looks even more of a PITA because I have all that "stuff" on that side/// hehehe please excuse my vagueness

:D

thanks!

swivel socket and long extensions (like 3 feet +)

On the drivers side I usually go right through the Powermaster.

The passenger side is a little tougher. I've also used just the deep socket and wrench.

Those newer spark plug sockets with the built-in swivel that can take some torque are nice.

Thanks guys. Yet another newbie dumby question: are the deep sockets one-size-fits-all for spark plugs? Or should I look for a certain size? (Don't have any deep sockets in my tools)

Thanks again! I'll def. get the extensions too and work on the patience ;)

Just a 13/16 or 7/8" (I forget) regular deep socket. Bring a spark plug with you to the hardware store just in case. I usually spray a little penetrating oil (liquid wrench or similiar) on the rear passenger side plug only. Try using a swivel elbow right off the socket with a long extension. This is the hardest spark plug to deal with.

Like mentioned before, get a couple of extensions and a swivel and you'll be set. I haven't really thought about the plugs being hard since I have always had these pieces, and can change the plugs on the GN in less than 10 minutes. Now my brothers 97 camaro LT1 is a whole 'nother story.:mad:

A spark plug socket with a built in swivel and a 24" extension make the passenger side plug by the firewall a piece of cake.

I slip a spark plug socket over the plug, then go at that with a socket on a swivel or just a wrench.

Also - When putting the plugs back in to the tight areas, try using a rubber fuel line to get the thread started and tighten as far as the plug will go. This is an old trick someone showed me that makes putting the plugs back in easy, with no chance of cross-threading..Just push the plug into about 14 inches of fuel hose until it is snug, then use the hose like a socket extender. Works great.

Patience is the answer, unfortunately the previous owner of my poor basket case did not have any patience...

When I tuned her up for the first time, I found five shiny, reasonably worn spark plugs.... and 1 rusted, non-matching, terribly burned spark plug on the driver side rear.

Who knows how many times he replaced 5 plugs....:mad: :confused:

5/8" swivel sparkplug socket, with a 3/8" rachet and various length 3/8" extensions.

Contort you hands and fingers and getting the plugs in/out, boots on/off is easy.

Hey, if you think TRs are tough, try the new cars. Can you say 100,000 mile plugs and then pull the motor?

Originally posted by strikeeagle
5/8" swivel sparkplug socket, with a 3/8" rachet and various length 3/8" extensions.

Contort you hands and fingers and getting the plugs in/out, boots on/off is easy.

Hey, if you think TRs are tough, try the new cars. Can you say 100,000 mile plugs and then pull the motor?

Good point, when I was young and bone headed (as opposed to older and bone-headed) I bought a new Celica, after 5K miles I wanted to see how the plugs looked. Went to pull them out, and WTF!!! I felt stupid, thought I knew cars, but this was totally foreign. I can't recall the outcome, but I know I slammed the hood pretty d*mn fustrated.

WOW! Thanks for the wealth of information guys! Before going at these "PITA" plugs I'll get a 5/8 deep socket, swivel and a bunch of extensions!! Thanks again, I'll use this thread as future reference when I get around to swapping the plugs!

Oh, I'm going with CR43TS acDelco plugs for my mostly stock setup... yay or nay?

thanks again
-kenny-

Originally posted by nero

Oh, I'm going with CR43TS acDelco plugs for my mostly stock setup... yay or nay?

Yay! :)

Originally posted by chrisgarrett
Putting the PS plug in is not so bad. It's putting the boot on that gives me problems.

LOL Me too!. :D

Yup, CR43TS's are a good choice.

BTW, you want a swivel socket - one piece, not a separate swivel and socket. And make sure it's a spark plug socket, which has the dense foam innards to protect the spark plug insulator from getting beat up. If you use a garden variety socket all bets are off. And if you crack an insulator and thus kill a plug that hole won't ever fire right, will it?

Craftsman makes 'em.

:)

Originally posted by jdodman
Also - When putting the plugs back in to the tight areas, try using a rubber fuel line to get the thread started and tighten as far as the plug will go.

Yup, or an old spark plug wire boot

Originally posted by grandwazoo
When I tuned her up for the first time, I found five shiny, reasonably worn spark plugs.... and 1 rusted, non-matching, terribly burned spark plug on the driver side rear.

Me too dude except the old piece of **** was on the passenger's side

Originally posted by nero
I searched for tips to getting at those things... but to no avail! :)
Was wondering if anyone had any tips as to getting those spark plugs out (closest to firewall). The passenger side looks even more of a PITA because I have all that "stuff" on that side/// hehehe please excuse my vagueness

thanks!

Go to your local repair shop, ask when their Snap On tool truck comes. Show up on that day and buy a snap on 5/8 BALL type swivel plug socket. They have them as a socket only, with a 6" extension as a part of it, and a 24" extension as part of it. The ball type socket wont bind and will help prevent cracking the spark plug as you try to overcome the U-joint types bind.

I have all of them, but if I were telling you what to buy, I'd get the one with the 6" extension. In some spots, the 24 is too long, and with the 6" one, if its too short, you just add an extension to it. Another real nice thing about this socket w/extension attached is, when you pull it off the plug, the socket wont be stuck on the plug and you wont be fighting to grab it with yer hands which is a pain in the ass :)

None of the plugs are hard. It shouldnt take you more than 10 mins to change all of them...unless you are talking a hot air....then ughh... still shouldnt take more than 1/2 hour.

Jim