Timing Table

Yellow68SS

Hey Guys,

Im setting up my Tune for my car. This is my first go with tuning one of these. I work mostly with late model stuff so i dont really have a good feel for timing. Ive poked around here and below is what i have come up with. I plan to tune for what the car likes at the track. Let me know if my timing curve is a good base or not. I plan a Pump Gas/Water Meth tune, an E85 tune as well as a race gas tune. Currently the car is on E85 with this Timing map and will be going up to 24 PSI after some runs.

4.1L
9.5:1 Aluminum heads
224/228 on 115 Hyd Roller

1534348113351.png

With an e-85 tune for 20 psi or more, we set timing to 19 deg. at WOT.

We will make at least dozen or so track runs to optimize timing and fuel.

With a 4.1 and alum heads you should be able to run high 9's at 20 psi, which my car did with a 70mm turbo.

With more than 20 psi, we always used 19 deg. as a max at WOT.

With a 4.1 and alum heads you should be able to run high 9's at 20 psi, which my car did with a 70mm turbo.

With more than 20 psi, we always used 19 deg. as a max at WOT.

Hoping for solid 10's for the first trip out this weekend. 9's would be sweet after its all dialed in!

Hey Guys,

Im setting up my Tune for my car. This is my first go with tuning one of these. I work mostly with late model stuff so i dont really have a good feel for timing. Ive poked around here and below is what i have come up with. I plan to tune for what the car likes at the track. Let me know if my timing curve is a good base or not. I plan a Pump Gas/Water Meth tune, an E85 tune as well as a race gas tune. Currently the car is on E85 with this Timing map and will be going up to 24 PSI after some runs.

4.1L
9.5:1 Aluminum heads
224/228 on 115 Hyd Roller

View attachment 326376
Can you adjust the psi on the left side? If so I would make some adjustments there to give you more resolution in the area you will be running. No need for 40psi on this tune file I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

i can adjust all of the x and y values. I grabbed the small table version to post but i do my fine tuning in the large table which drops down to 2 PSI increments instead of 4.

It doesn't use KPA values instead of the actual vac/psi for vac/boost levels?

In the holley software you can display it in PSI or KPA. I prefer PSI but the datalog is in KPA so have to go back and forth.

Update from the weekend. Got 3 passes in. Best of 10.6@127. 3100 foot 92 degrees and 20 PSI. Left at 10 PSI and got a 1.52 60foot. Pretty happy for the first time out.

Im having an issue of it falling on its face at 6k rpm. Hits a wall gonna work that out and go back again. I think im missing some MPH.

make sure your not hitting the rev limiter..
Definitely not the rev limiter. It goes up, hits 6050, falls back to 6020, then will slowly climb to 6200 on a data log. I have heard i think one miss. So i short shifted at 5700 to make sure it was ok.

this is what I'll be starting out with on my mine. 4.25L with 10.5:1 compression. E85. 20psi or so.

advance map 4.25l.jpg

On a 10:1 232ci I was at 15* timing with real low 9 sec power. Start conservative and bring a few sets of plugs so you can pull them to get a good look at the timing requirements. I can tell you if I ran 19-20* it would have been like Hiroshima

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a 10:1 232ci I was at 15* timing with real low 9 sec power. Start conservative and bring a few sets of plugs so you can pull them to get a good look at the timing requirements. I can tell you if I ran 19-20* it would have been like Hiroshima

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On that note I'll pull mine back some more. Thanks for the tip!

This is the one for my 91 GT single turbo 9:1. It is a lil different now as I have tweaked it some. But it cruises around better than my all stock one.

Attachments

• 8608C681-2538-42C2-8D5D-AE200D79060E.jpeg
    8608C681-2538-42C2-8D5D-AE200D79060E.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 72
Wrong map I loaded it off my phone and where it came from......This is the real one, some #'s look crazy but it's never in that area 192kpa is my current boost level 13# and boost cut is 16#. When I got it timing in the unboosted areas were jacked. Anywhere from 8-12 deg below the stock A9L EECIV + 4deg across the board. Not perfect and I'm no pro but it's street tuned and literally has as good of street manners as my all stock one. It will gurgle along in 5th at 800 rpm. I may even Megasquirt the Buick later with MS2
74DA7977-3172-48DA-AC2D-512E6140771F.jpeg

Don't take this the wrong way but I am trying to see how this helps the OP? Yes, I can see timing being pulled with higher MAP/RPM but I think the OP was aware of that?

I am no expert but timing strategy is part of a tuning philosophy, and varies with engine combination and operating conditions.

The older I get, the more I subscribe to;
A man got to know his limitations.